NAV Screen stuck in "open" position trying to put CD in....

3xv

Good day guys. I was going to load an audio CD in the changer and after I pushed the load/eject button on the console the screen is now stuck in the "open" or down position.

1. It went through it's normal routine of the screen sliding to it's open/down positon for CD loading. It indicated to "wait" to load CD (which is normal) and I waited until it indicates to "load" CD into the unit which it did not do.

2. After the screen locked into position, the procedure of loading CD just stopped and now the screen is stuck in the down position and not responding. When I push the button for CD mode, the LED console (the center console where the temp. is displayed) indicates that there is NO CD INSERTED eventhough there are 5 CD's inside (since last year). I was not able to load the the new CD I was about to put in.

3. I removed the battery for at least 15mins. to see if it will reset the unit. No luck. Checked fuses. All are good.

4. The screen still displays NAV, I can still listen to radio and I can still receive calls via bluetooth. However, CD mode does not work and backup camera not displaying on screen (screen still stuck in down position. Does not slide up to normal viewing position).

Wondering if anyone has experienced this issue and have found a solution for it. Kindly post any help.

Thank you in advance. Have a great day.

BTW it's a 2008 CX9 Grand Touring with NAV and Bose

Last edited:
I think the mechanical action was somehow broken and got stuck in the middle.
One would probably have to take the CD changer off and apart to see how to
get it back on track if even possible. Need to open it to see what is going on there.

I used to take apart old CD player and VHS tape player.
The latter of mine got stuck quite often.

3xv, sorry to hear about this. Try disconnecting the battery in the car for awhile, see if that will knock some sense back into your nav unit.
If still broken, take it to an electronics repair place, or if you end up buying a new one, there are a few salvage yards in the country listing them for around 600 - 800 bucks www.car-part.com (search for "radio")

Hope you get it figured out!

Have you tried ejecting all of the CDs? Try pulling the fuse overnight and draining the memory completely. Good luck!

Good day Ceric, Helbigtw and jk240sx. Thank you so much for the help and recommendations. You guys are the reason that forums like this thrive, to assist fellow auto enthusiasts/mazda owners.

I tried the NAV/CD this morning and surprisingly, it worked! I didn't do anything past my initial removal of the battery connection and fuse yesterday afternoon. Last night I was resolved to the fact that the worse case scenario would be to replace the unit and left it at that. Surprisingly, things worked out for the better.

Thank you again for the help and recommendations. I wish you guys a wonderful week ahead. :)

Best regards.

The mechanism might have got stuck temporarily.
Glad that it works now and hope that it won't come back again.
Check all your CDs for defects or stickers on them. They might have caused the problem.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm having the same sort of issue with my '08 CX-9. Went to eject the CD, and the NAV screen stayed open. I checked the Audio fuse behind the glove box, and the Bose/Audio fuse in the engine bay - and both look fine.

Should I try disconnecting the battery? Will just disconnecting the negative terminal work? Or do I need to disconnect the ground, neg, and positive to fully reset the ECU?

Thanks.

Thanks. I called John Hine Mazda and they're going to look at it....for a $108 diagnostic fee. I told the Service manager that the warranty only just ended last month. He asked if i serviced the car at their dealer. I told him no, because its too far and i do it at a local shop for much less. He was essentially saying, if i had done regular service at his dealership, that he would be more inclined to talk to the regional service director and see if they can get the Nav screen fixed under my expired warranty. But since I didn't go to him for over-glorified/over-priced oil changes, I'm probably not going to get this fixed under my recently lapsed warranty...even though I originally bought the car new there.

Wow, thanks!

If the Nav/head unit ends up needing to be replaced (not sure you can fix a broken LCD screen mechanism w/o replacing the whole thing), then I'm probably going to shop around and avoid the dealerships.

Tell you what.
Call mazdausa corporate and tell them the issue you have and your warranty just expired.
Be nice and tell us what happens....
You might be surprised....

I called Mazda Corporate and opened up a case. They said they will review my case once the issue has been diagnosed by the dealer. They will determine if they can provide full after warranty assistance, partial, or deny the claim.

Isn't that cool? They usually come back with
"you pay the parts, we pay the labor (or vice versa)" kind of settlement.

I have a Toyota (my wife's Prius).
The Toyota corporate is totally the opposite.
Arrogant is what I would describe them.

Knockin' VWAG?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4880931-*Official-R32-Clear-Coat-Peel-thread*

These guys with these R32's all had the clearcoat fall off their R32's in sheets. They would take it to a carwash and all the sudden they would
see half the car's clearcoat peel off in the carwash.

VW basically told them all (many many many people) to go to hell until it got ugly and VW eventually caved, but it took quite the effort.

One reason I jumped ship from VW.

i have mazda RX-8 ,2005 model.i changed my battery.now need to insert navi disk.but i cuoldnt find a place to insert it.pls help me....thank you.

Back