My TTD build thread

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79770 The fun starts a few pages later with the cage. Wes has a full out race car, it's sweet. You should make yours like his.

That's a nice roll cage. It's very similar to the one I will be doing for the most part. The main differences are that I have the nascar door bars on both sides for passenger protection (I take passengers with me on track regularly), my rear down bars will go to the top of the rear strut tower instead of the inside and I wont have the horizontal tube from the main hoop to the strut tower. I do like the lateral bar at the bottom of the main hoop and have been thinking of adding one there for my cage as well. Should help a lot in side impact.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about that car before.

What wheels are you going to be running? 17x8's with a good Protege offset are hard to come by...

What wheels are you going to be running? 17x8's with a good Protege offset are hard to come by...

I'll work that out later in the season. I'm not opposed to 5 mm spacers if I need them, since I have the long ARP studs. For the April race I'll be running some 215s on the stock rims. Just need to have the 235s by August to get ready for Nationals.

Good deal. Team Dynamics' ProRace1 comes in a +47 or +49 special order offset in 17x8 and I *think* Kosei K1'TS come in a +50.

Hey, don't know if you noticed (or perhaps I'm just slow), but the back cover of the new GRM has the Nitto tire ad and lists "1st Place - NASA Time Trial National Championship - TTE Class". It doesn't list a name or car, but those who know........... know.

Hey, don't know if you noticed (or perhaps I'm just slow), but the back cover of the new GRM has the Nitto tire ad and lists "1st Place - NASA Time Trial National Championship - TTE Class". It doesn't list a name or car, but those who know........... know.

Yeah, they didn't have names last year either so I wasn't expecting my name to be on there. It's good for them to be able to use it though, since it assures me tires for this year!

Well I got my main hoop finished and one of the A-pillar / roof bars. The radii of the hoop are touching the roof supports on both sides and the legs are in line with the inside of the B-pillars (at least they will be when I push the driver's side out a little when I weld it) The hoop was a major pain in the ass, but the rest should go a lot faster.

CIMG1583.jpg

CIMG1590.jpg

I've been working hard today. I have the front down tubes, the top windshield cross bar and half of the roof X tacked in place. I'll be working till about 11 tonight and I'm hoping to get the rest of the roof bars finished and have this welded to the body by then.

Attachments

• CIMG1604.JPG
    CIMG1604.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 169
wow. That's some impressive craftsmanship dude. Beautiful work. I can't wait to see it done :)

without a helmet, I'd strongly suggest against one... everything in the cockpit is soft to keep your melon in 1 piece. Get in a wreck on the street and smash your head on a roll cage, and it'll probably be a different story. Even with padding, I couldn't in good faith recommend it on the street.

Just lookin out for ya ;)

Next time you go to the grocery store, take an aluminum baseball bat. Go to the melon section and start swinging at produce. Then imagine those melons are your head.

Squish.

The only thing a properly padded cage has going for it on the street- it's closer to your head so your head doesn't have the time/space needed to accelerate as much into the roll bar during a wreck. Even still, if you hit it right, it's nothing but coloring books for Christmas for you.

Yeah, if you weigh a known length of bar, then all you have to do is add up all the length of bar and you should be good. Get you close enough anyway.

Roof section is all welded. I'm out of shielding gas and I'm beat so that will probably be it for today.

CIMG1616.jpg

CIMG1613.jpg

Latest posts

Back