My TTD build thread

Well after working all last night and tonight since 5:30, I have a design that I am going to use. It is a little heavier than I originally hoped (135 lbs) and I'm blocking my rear view a little, but it should be very stiff and most importantly very safe. What I'm showing here is a worst case. I am applying a 27 kN force at the drivers upper front corner (just the main downtube) with no support from the A-piller or roof. My roll cage will be tied into the A and B pillars and the roof. This isn't a realistic case, but it shows how the roll cage acts as a unit to distribute the load.
I applied this type of load to a bunch of different points on about 10 different designs and every time I think about removing a bar, I see where it helps. It would suck to get hurt because I didn't want to carry 2 pounds here or there.

Attachments

• mesh.jpg
    mesh.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 155
  • FinalDesign_force_front_25.jpg
    FinalDesign_force_front_25.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 163
  • FinalDesign_equiv_front_25.jpg
    FinalDesign_equiv_front_25.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 163
  • FinalDesign_def_front_25.jpg
    FinalDesign_def_front_25.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 165
  • FinalDesign_maxprinc_front_25.jpg
    FinalDesign_maxprinc_front_25.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 171
Nice! Just curious, how long did it take your computer to chew through the analysis on that?

Definitely looks solid. With a direct hit on your end of the roof of over 6k lbs, and you get less than a 1/4" of deflection, yeah bro, you are stout!
Looks good!

Designing the cage is one thing, can you actually build it or get someone to build it to spec?

I was very disappointed to find out on Friday that my tubing did not arrive at the retailer from mill so I worked on other projects over the weekend. I took out all of the sound deadening on the floor of the car and was surprised that it weighed 21 lbs. I also did some work on the mounting pads for the bars on both my car and my friend's Miata for which I am also building a dash bar and door bars. The steel has arrived so I should have some pictures of the progress this week.

What's the competition like in TTD compared to TTE? Are you going to be able to compete at the National level in TTD like you did in TTE?

What's the competition like in TTD compared to TTE? Are you going to be able to compete at the National level in TTD like you did in TTE?

Last year I would have been 2nd place in TTD at Nationals; 0.6 seconds out of first place. I'm sure the TTD drivers will improve this year, but with 200 lbs less in the car and wider tires I should do fine in TTD. I am hoping for a 2 to 3 second improvement over last year.
I am planning on running both TTD and TTC at Nationals since they run in different groups. I have to see how light my car can get since I'll be able to remove all of my ballast when running in TTC. I was 2 seconds slower than the first place car in TTC last year.

You do know that for about 1/3 the time you could have just removed your rear spoiler and put it back on after painting instead of masking it...

You should do a cage like Wes man's...

You do know that for about 1/3 the time you could have just removed your rear spoiler and put it back on after painting instead of masking it...

You should do a cage like Wes man's...

Masking took about 3 minutes, so I doubt it. Most of the horizontal section was covered with 12" wide masking paper. I do wish I would have known I was pulling the windshield before I painted though.

What does Wes man's cage look like?

how much wider and how did you get the sound deadening off and be able to weigh it??? I figured it would be a total b****... like wire wheel or chemicals like that.

I'm not sure how the TT classing works, but does that let you up tire size as well?

how much wider and how did you get the sound deadening off and be able to weigh it??? I figured it would be a total b****... like wire wheel or chemicals like that.

This year I am going to run a 235/40/17 on an 8" wide wheel. I ran 225/45/15 tires last year.

To get the sound deadening off, I froze it with dry ice and then hit it with a hammer to loosen it and then chipped off sections with a screwdriver. Some pieces came off in 3" by 12" sections and others were the size of a quarter. When I picked them off the floor I put them in a bag and weighed the bag.

I'm not sure how the TT classing works, but does that let you up tire size as well?

I think you are referring to running TTC? I get 20 more points to play with in TTC so I could spend them on whatever I want. I think going wider than a 235/40/17 would be tough without fender flares or cutting. You can't live with tires scraping in TT like you can in Autocross where runs are only a minute or two (unless its on a plastic liner, but that goes away on its own as I found out).

Back