missing my baby who is mad at me....

so, i sent my car off to a local shop back home to have my long time mechanic and good friend change the timing belt on my 2003 titanium grey mazdaspeed. it took him a month and a half to do it, but finally he called me up. i drove for an hour to get back home to my beloved car, and three miles from the shop, i came off the clutch in first gear turing across traffic, wrapped it up to about 4500 rpm, and lazily shifted into second. i let off the clutch and it wouldn't pull itself. i ran through all the gears and none of them would pull... im assuming i need a clutch.

get this, i talked to a mazdaspeed dealer and he said that he needed the last 8 numbers of the vin to make sure he ordered the right clutch. for giggles, i called auto zone which has a ctutch for a 2003.5 mazda protege 2.0 turbo..... in stock. im confused.

Autozone may be quoting you for a regular 2.0L clutch which is not the same. As for your gears not working, I hope it's the clutch, otherwise you may have obliterated your differential... Common problem on MSPs.

I would not put anything from Auto Zone other than name brand oil in my car. What clutch is it, a Duralast?

I would get a clutch kit from protegegarage.com and a lightweight flywheel and get that installed. Might want to get a throw out bearing while you are at it, as it is all there.

Did your friend put many miles on it for the month and a half it was at his shop?

I would have picked it up and had it done elsewhere, but that is just me.

Dealers always ask for the VIN to get you parts. The MSP used a special cluth, stronger than the ones found in the regular proteges. They're just making sure you have an msp. The msp stock clutch was made by exedy.

I'm sure the clutch you found at autozone is a generic one. Don't get it. The stock clutch is fine if you don't plan on pushing more than 200 whp.

Also, 1.5 months to do a timing belt? Isn't that a bit excessive?

well, i went to arkansas with my girlfriend and dad was paying for it and told the guy i was in no hurry. i miss my car. and no, i will not put a part store clutch in it. i told dad what clutch i want and he is paying for it. if he has one put in it and i blow it out, i get a new clutch... again. im scared it isnt the clutch though. when i put it in gear and let off, the clutch has good pressure on it, but it does not move, but it does not make any grinding noise like gears in the trans or diff.

HOLY OH MY GOOD GOD!!! from the nearest mazdaspeed dealer, the diff is 662. the bearings are 52 per bearing and the seals are 10 dollars.

any one wanna buy a car?

lol yeah ur diff is ****** same thing happend to me and the mechanic ended up changing out the clutch and it still didnt fix the problem dont waste ur money on a clutch get a new diff

well, dad is dead set on it being the clutch that is bad. he wont listen to me and has one on the way for it. i dont know what to say to him and he is paying for it. i am gonna help the machanic take it all apart and change the clutch that isnt bad. how do you tear the trans apart to check and change the diff?

If you pop the hood and don't smell any sort of burnt fiber smell. Its almost definitely the Diff. A clutch won't go without some sort of odor given off, plus a clutch will slip a while before it lets go.

well at least you'll have a new clutch to go with the new diff you're going to need also.
well, dad is dead set on it being the clutch that is bad. he wont listen to me and has one on the way for it. i dont know what to say to him and he is paying for it. i am gonna help the machanic take it all apart and change the clutch that isnt bad. how do you tear the trans apart to check and change the diff?

Well, after a month and a half, it that car was being ragged on, beat up, used up, and done a long time before you picked it up.

I wonder how many miles got put on it in the time it was at the shop. Could have been just been abused until it broke.

Well, after a month and a half, it that car was being ragged on, beat up, used up, and done a long time before you picked it up.

I wonder how many miles got put on it in the time it was at the shop. Could have been just been abused until it broke.

it was at dads house, who recently got a dwi and refuses to drive the car anyway. when it left the house, it went to the shop, and immediately tore down. i was there when it got put back together. i drove it home, my sister drove it to the shop, with my dad following her, and then i drove it away from the shop. i made it 3 out of 3.5 miles to the house and it let go.

So you confirmed the odometer readings, eh? Well, then I would invest in a new LSD, have dad get the clutch and throwout bearing, and be good-to-go for a while.

well the plan WAS to get a clutch and get it rolling then sell it before the diff and tranny gears started getting squirrely. turns out, its not the clutch, its the diff. and thats what i thought it was.

Time to do both while you are in there, or just drag it to car max or somewhere, get away from it.

Back