Intercooler and boost question

MShreve

:
2006 MazdaSpeed6
With the stock BPV I see boost spikes of 18 psi tapering down to 14 near redline. With the Forge BPV (blue spring no shims) is see boost spikes of 20 psi tapering down to 15 near redline.

My question is, since most aftermarket TMIC's will gain you an additional 2 psi does this mean that I would then be seeing spikes up to 22 psi with the Forge valve? If so, what's the best way to remedy this? External wastegate? Boost controller?

It really depends on the car. Everything you see online are ranges or estimates. The bigger intercooler will both cool your boosted air (reducing detonation) and give you a more dense air charge in the cylinder. Both of those will improve performance. You should look at ECU management software next to manipulate your boost values.

Also, I spike at 22 and hold 21. I don't think there's a cause for alarm.

I just want to be safe rather than sorry. I figure 20 psi is about as high as I'm willing to go.

it's just spiking, dosen't mean your actually boosting 20, so i think you should be safe.

If you had ECU management, you might be able to manipulate when and how much the wastegate opens. I've not really messed with the AccessTuner RACE program much, but it's highly customizable.

Outside of that, you could probably talk to Ken over at PG about getting a different wastegate actuator.

TMIC will give you slightly higher boost. What boost gauge are you using ??

My mods are in sig and I spike about 21 and hold 18-20 depending on atmospheric conditions and if my car is horny or not.

Best way to remedy this is to get tuned or get a FMIC.

well then something is wrong with my car cause i spike at 17.5 and hold at 15 still.. maybe its the test pipe that you have coyfish that allows for more boost

well then something is wrong with my car cause i spike at 17.5 and hold at 15 still.. maybe its the test pipe that you have coyfish that allows for more boost

He's from Florida. You're from New York. It's probably the drastic difference in climate on top of all of these cars reacting slightly different to modifications.

While intake air temperature is not as important considering the fact that the turbo is going to seriously heat this air up anyway, what is important is the relative humidity difference between New York and Florida. Not to mention it looks like you're not using any ECU management. If you are indeed on the stock map, that's the big one right there. I'm pretty sure coyfish is using an AccessPort. Thus, he's using a completely different tune than you are.

i dont think coyfish is using the cobb ap because its says its going to be his next mod.

i honestly think its my hybrid bov

and the temps here in new york recently have been very low for the summer with 60's at night and 70-80's in the day with moderate to low humidity

Spiking to 20-22 isn't a huge cause for alarm. It's a known fact that the stock WG can't release boost pressure fast enough, and in return we get some spiking. As long as you're not holding boost above the K04's efficiency, then I'd not worry. Keeping an eye on it is never a bad thing though.

And, as mentioned, using some tuning device can help to minimize this effect. I noticed more spiking after an inlet install, but with the AP, it has curbed that. Weather will play a factor in it as well.

ok so steve whats my problem..it seems like i have been bitching about this for a while and i dont think i have gotten anywhere with it. and the only thing i can think of it either my boost will increase drastically when i get a test pipe or my bov sucks ass and doesnt hold boost as well. i am ready to get rid of the turboxs one and get a forge to hold boost better. cause i talked to coyfish a while ago and im very sure he doesn't have the cobb ap yet

Like I've said before, trying to talk about it is one thing, but your best bet is to datalog it and post that on here for people to evaluate. I can't give you more info than that just by a description. What might be apples to me might be oranges to you.

Check your fittings, and see what spikes you're getting. A datalog with boost, a/f, throttle pos., and rpm should be enough to quantify a result.

well i cant datalog anything right now since i dont have the part that does that so i guess this weekend i will be taking my car apart tightening all hoses and i will be installing my stock bpv to see if its the problem. if i increase and hold boost then i know its my hybrid i guess

well i cant datalog anything right now since i dont have the part that does that so i guess this weekend i will be taking my car apart tightening all hoses and i will be installing my stock bpv to see if its the problem. if i increase and hold boost then i know its my hybrid i guess

If you don't know what boost levels you're at, then how do you know there's a problem? Not to be rude, but I don't see an issue if you don't have a discrete value or issue that you can show someone...

i know what boost levels i am at with my boost gauge. i am comparing my levels with 2 other members on this post saying how there levels are!!
mshreve says his levels spike with the stock bpv to 18 and taper off to 14 while with the new forge bpv he spikes to 20 and tapers down to 15 and all he has is a cold air intake, bpv and a testpipe

i have heard several posts about coyfish saying he spikes at 21 and holds at 18-20 while not having a cobb ap.

my boost levels have always been like this-
1st gear i spike and hold at 15...short period of time
2nd gear i spike to 15 and hold and taper off to 12-13
3rd i spike to 17.5 and hold at 14-15 and taper off to 13-14
4th i spike to 17.5 and hold at 14-15 and drop off again.

now comparing that to the other cars why would by car hold boost so low? only thing i see here is i have a turboxs hybrid bov and everyone else has a forge bpv

For what it's worth, you're also running a thicker TMIC, which would result in a possible pressure loss. Higher volume of air in the IC than a stock one.

idk . i feel like the problem got better when i added my tmic and my turbo inlet cause before that i wasent peaking at 17.5 at all...i would peak at 15.5 and hold around 14 on 3rd and 4th.

Back