Info for the Reflash

could mine possible have this problem as well? when i bought the car it was bone stock and it had hesitation issues, the dealer replaced the turbo and it still hesitates but not as much, and boosts fine when the motor is cold. but when it gets to operating temp you dont feel full boost till about 5k rpms

what do u guys think i should do with the stuff i have listed below

Engine mods- MSP Turbo, MSP ECU (unflashed), Custom Spearco FMIC, TurboXS RFL BOV, Injen CAI, Dual Stage Boost Controller at 5 and 10, FCD, FPR, Vibrant street power catback, AWR mount, B&M SS, ACT stage 2 street, Exedy Flywheel, HKS TT.

please let me know what to do before i regret it..

Last edited:
what do u guys think i should do with the stuff i have listed below

Engine mods- MSP Turbo, MSP ECU (unflashed), Custom Spearco FMIC, TurboXS RFL BOV, Injen CAI, Dual Stage Boost Controller at 5 and 10, FCD, FPR, Vibrant street power catback, AWR mount, B&M SS, ACT stage 2 street, Exedy Flywheel, HKS TT.

please let me know what to do before i regret it..
mail it to me. :D

Ok, seriously....I need the reflash done on my car. I went to the stealership and verified it has NOT been done already. So they tell me they have to charge me $80 for a tech to "verify my concern, and that the issue truly exists"; and another $80 to actually do the reflash. My question is....is this supposed to be done for free? If I'm not mistaken, all they do is hook up the ecu and download an update...so how the hell can they charge me $80 for it? If I'm pretty much screwed, then I'll just start looking around for other MS dealers that might do it for me. Just want to use this other one because its only 5 min away. Next closest one is about 30 min away.

depends on the TSB, they can set an expiration date for the free work, but the TSB's themselves do not expire. find a copy of the TSB and bring it with you to the dealership. maybe they'll do it for free or for one $80 charge. which seems to be the norm for all dealerships to flash ECU's. i'm thinking of getting my ecu scanned

EDIT* this is from protege FAQ
http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/01-005-05.html

no info stating that it's free work.. i did have a site that listed the real TSB's from mazda but i dunno where it went

Last edited:
Well that's just it. They had no idea what a reflash even was. Then when I showed them a copy of the TSB, that was when he started throwing all these charges at me. IMO, even the $80 "verification fee" is absolutely absurd. I mean, I wouldnt go there to get the work done if it didn't need it. I don't need a mechanic to take my car for a joy ride just to say "yeah, he's right". LOL. I wouldn't mind paying like 1/2hr of labor ($40 or so) because it won't take very long....but paying both fees is just insane. Guess I'll have to ask around and see if any other MSPs in the Tampa area have gotten it done.

it says warrenty type: A ....i dunno wtf that means but the dealership can tell you. thats what determines the circumstances if you have to pay or not, im assuming

Does your car have less then 50k miles on it? If not, you have to pay.

Does your car have less then 50k miles on it? If not, you have to pay.

see thats where i think it's bulls***. the cause and problem isn't from amechanical wear item. i don't see how they can just say "oh if your over 50k miles you gotta pay for an ECU reflash" who cares if the warrenty expired. it's a defect from the factory that needs to be addressed. if it wasnt a problem they never would have came out with a fix for it.

I totally agree, but that's what it's like and I was just stating a fact, if he has less than 50k then he can for sure use it towards his defense not needing to pay for the reflash

Are you going to to a 'regular' Mazda dealership shop? They may not have techs that can fix or are authorized to work on MSP problems.

If I have any engine, suspension etc problems, the fact my car is an 'enhanced' Protege', I have to travel 65+ miles to an authorized Mazda dealer that has Mazdaspeed trained technicians to resolve the problems under warrenty. PITA but that's what I do to keep it with-in specs of the warrenty.

see thats where i think it's bulls***. the cause and problem isn't from amechanical wear item. i don't see how they can just say "oh if your over 50k miles you gotta pay for an ECU reflash" who cares if the warrenty expired. it's a defect from the factory that needs to be addressed. if it wasnt a problem they never would have came out with a fix for it.

That is precisely my argument. This defect is a result of poor tuning from the factory. Not normal wear and tear.

Are you going to to a 'regular' Mazda dealership shop? They may not have techs that can fix or are authorized to work on MSP problems.

If I have any engine, suspension etc problems, the fact my car is an 'enhanced' Protege', I have to travel 65+ miles to an authorized Mazda dealer that has Mazdaspeed trained technicians to resolve the problems under warrenty. PITA but that's what I do to keep it with-in specs of the warrenty.

Yep. The one right down the street is an authorized MS dealership. Which is why it annoys the hell out of me, because they refuse to work on it.

Just got off the phone with one of my three "local" Mazdaspeed service departments. The guy stated it would cost $99 for a pcm calibration and it would take "about an hour". He also stated that there was no way to determine if it had been done already unless I pay the $99 and have them hook it up to the computer (important because I am not the original owner and am unsure if it's been done already.) There are no stickers anywhere under the hood that indicate if it's been reflashed or not.

I'm getting the same fuel cut that almost all of the other MSP owners are getting and am hoping this reflash might solve the problem. I am getting ready to purchase the JoeP fuel cut defenser and was curious which is the better way to go.

Does anyone else have any before/after feedback on the PCM calibration (reflash)?

Just got off the phone with one of my three "local" Mazdaspeed service departments. The guy stated it would cost $99 for a pcm calibration and it would take "about an hour". He also stated that there was no way to determine if it had been done already unless I pay the $99 and have them hook it up to the computer (important because I am not the original owner and am unsure if it's been done already.) There are no stickers anywhere under the hood that indicate if it's been reflashed or not.

I'm getting the same fuel cut that almost all of the other MSP owners are getting and am hoping this reflash might solve the problem. I am getting ready to purchase the JoeP fuel cut defenser and was curious which is the better way to go.

Does anyone else have any before/after feedback on the PCM calibration (reflash)?

I had the reflash done. It helped a little with the hesitation, but did not eliminate it. I'm not an expert on the matter, but my understanding is that nothing short of an engine magement system is going to get rid of it altogether. I hope that helps. I know even less about fuel cut, though.

I will see if I have a sticker under my hood from the flash (I believe that there is). The flash did help with the hesitation issues but I don't know about fuel cut. My car is still stock and I have only hit fuel cut in very cold weather.

dumb question, but, if i were to get a SS AFC, would the reflash still benefit me?

Not really. I got a flashed MSP ECU from Spicyorange and I still experienced fuel cut. Leaned up the fuel mixture a bit with the SS AFC, and it went away.

Back