Info for the Reflash

Ok, so my ECU is flashed, the only mods i have is a custom exhaust, replaced the air box with a OBX filter and i have an Apexi AVC-R Boost controller boostin about 10 psi, i intalled NGK platinum spark plugs and i've closed the gap to .020 mm, i'm still having the ****** studdering problem, the cheapest i've seen the Unichip is 599.95 from Protege Garage, but i don't wanna spend that money and still have that problem.

S.A.MSP said:
Ok, so my ECU is flashed, the only mods i have is a custom exhaust, replaced the air box with a OBX filter and i have an Apexi AVC-R Boost controller boostin about 10 psi, i intalled NGK platinum spark plugs and i've closed the gap to .020 mm, i'm still having the ****** studdering problem, the cheapest i've seen the Unichip is 599.95 from Protege Garage, but i don't wanna spend that money and still have that problem.

Well you don't exactly need platinum plugs you need COLDER plugs.. you need to go a few heat steps lower than the stock plugs.. at least2 if not 3 if you don't you could cause premature detonation in your engine.. not fun

S.A.MSP said:
95% of the people on the forum are gapping them at .029-.032
The lower end is a bit better for boosted cars.
the .020 gap may be your prob.

ECU Flash....

Is this ECU Flash for all the MSP cars or does it vary by location? I live in Canada so our emmissions might be different as would be California. Does anyone know if they setup the cars differently?

Thanks!

i was under the impression that there was only one flash and that it was the same no matter where you got it.

well the dealer ship here in louisianna is acting like they never heard of this and if i can provide them with the info they want to charge my a hours labor around 105 dollars anybody know where i can get some help with this>>>>

Can anybody give me some help on this my car has only 34889 miles on it its a 2003 . my dealer tells me thats it past the warranty and wants to charge me 126.00 plus tax any help would be great thanks>!!!!!

Can anybody give me some help on this my car has only 34889 miles on it its a 2003 . my dealer tells me thats it past the warranty and wants to charge me 126.00 plus tax any help would be great thanks>!!!!!

if you are planning upping the boost there is no point in flashing...from what I have heard it doesnt fully stop the hesitation caused by the stock tune either. To be honest with you 120 is pretty reasonable if you cannot get it done under warranty. Even though it will take all of 9 seconds to flash the ECU...

even if you had no warranty anymore, the flash is $80, not $126, the stealership is def. trying to rape you, at 34k miles ur car is still under warranty, after 50k it's over, they are really trying to mess with you

i would like to have the reflash done maybee i should just wait i am thinking of getting a unichip soon!!!!!

wait, so we just like print this page out and bring it to a certifired mazdaspeed dealership and they'll fix the hesitation problem? how much does this cost?

so is this worhtless if your getiing a unichip?

the mazda warrenty for the pre 2008's is 4 years OR 50k. and the flash is not free. The dealership should only charge you 1 hour for labor maybe less if you get a nice service writer

I did it.

I had the reflash done. Since then I constantly get e CEL that codes out to Bank #1 to lean. I don't know if it is related but I am assuming it is because i think the flash messes with the timing. I don't know what to do about it, if anyone has any suggestions I am listening. BTW I am not extremely knowledgable about engines, but I have some knowledge.

Can anything bad happen if my msp has been flashed and I get it done again?

I bought my msp used and def. have hesitation issues, and there are no stickers on hood/door jam/engine bay area to lead me to believe that the flash has been done, but I also have read that issues stemming from spark plugs and wires, to the heat soaked stock smic can lead to similar hesitation or stumbling issues...

ps: my productivity at work has gone down considerably since i joined this site!

the ECU will tell you/dealer if its the latest flash. It will say "no updates available"

ok.. Just thought I should clear this up once and for all. I live in Canada (so i dont know if this applies to the US) but, I called to find out how much it would cost to get the ECU flashed. The person asked me about the amount of KM on the car, which in my case is 117,000KM - the dude at mazda told me that the ECU is covered by warranty for 128,000KM - so, my ECU flash WILL be covered by warranty. Just thought i would clear this up for all the canadians out there. I will report back to let you know what the car feels like after the flash (on friday).

well, got er done. It ended up being free; although they gave me grief for having the second o2 sensor removed (since i have a catless exhaust). Anyways, its much of an improvement! much more solid through the entire rep range; in fact, it seems like i start boosting much earlier. Anyways, this gets my recommendation.

anyone ever try taking in a protege5 with a MSP ECU??? do you guys think they'll even consider flashing it... i just installed a MSP ECU i got from PG and i highly doubt its been flashed... it stumbles like a mofo at max boost... it also hesitates/stumbles during fast shifting...

imma try and go in tomorrow and talk to my favorite service/parts guy to see what he says, then proceed to the mechanics.

i have a feeling there going to look at me and my car and be like WFT @$#!@#$... "i need a reflash" *)*^*%**^ huh?

atleast the ECU has a printed sticker that specifically says its a MSP ECU... i highly doubt they flash it for me :(

hmmm... sh!t i don't even think there open tomorrow... its a freakin holiday

Back