Info for Hesitation/Stumble issue

who has had stubling/hesitation issues?

• Yes, I have or have had the issue

Votes: 126 93.3%
  • No, My MSP is good to go.

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters
Who said anything about making the soobie a 13 second car. Out of the box it's 57hp to the better. Also it takes little more than a good up-pipe, intake and ecu to make those cars fly. I would love my mazdaspeed if only it didn't drive so much like a damn protege.

Turbo Matty P said:
Who said anything about making the soobie a 13 second car. Out of the box it's 57hp to the better. Also it takes little more than a good up-pipe, intake and ecu to make those cars fly. I would love my mazdaspeed if only it didn't drive so much like a damn protege.

Hehe- must be me, I expect no less from an AWD turbo car :).. Hell, I expect no less out of my MSP once it is tuned. I'll know how close I am Wednesday night as long as it doesn't RAIN AGAIN :mad: !!! As for "fly", it depends on your definition of fast.. I have seen people get in a stock MSP and almost s*** themselves and I have seen people piss pound a Z06 Vette and say "It was OK, but I was expecting more".. I know my "definition" isn't a realistic goal for a daily driven WRX. As for the 57HP to the better- throw an exhaust, MBC and a couple of things on the MSP and you will be pretty damn close, if not more than the WRX HP- it has been preven... I know you can mod the WRX also, but see what happens if you up the boost without doing much else.. People think the MSP is frail.. The WRX will put a whole new meaning to the word :).. Hell, I have seen one with an FMIC, U tech, 3" turbo back, etc. that only puts 240 to the wheels. I have seen talons do that with just an MBC..

not knocking you, I just think the WRX is a poor choice for modding. Hell, any car that has "ECU" as the first mod sucks :).
Joe

I have become interested in purchasing the 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege. And after reading this thread with the hesitation problems I am on hold until I get confirmation that a fix is available. Mazda needs to understand that no one will buy a new car only to have a high probability of a problem after it is driven 300 miles.

Repeat: I will not buy until the fix is issued.

We will be talking to many dealers in our Metro Atlanta area and if I have news I will report it. I will keep you informed and thank you for this valuable information.

Welcome to the board Imiss.

As far as the hesitation goes, personally I don't think you even have to wait 'till 300 miles -- I think it's there right from mile 0. It takes most people a few hundred miles though to "get the feel" of the car before they can state whether it hesitates/sutters or not I guess.

I'm glad to see you're not going to get the car until the issue is resolved - personally I love the car but at the same time I refuse to recommend it to a single person until Mazda fixes it....and if they don't, 0 recommendations will be coming from me.

But like I said, I still love the car and I kind of think many people could solve the problem (or at least greatly reduce the problem) with some of Joe's great fixes - (especially the FPR). For now I'm going to try to wait it out though and see if Mazda comes through with a fix. If not, then I guess it's Joe's FPR for me.

1 thing I sure wish I could do is drive the cars of those that say they've never had the hesitation problem (Yashooa is one that comes to mind). It's just impossible for me to believe that they've never had it when the car was stock.......................we're all using the same ECU after all.

I am going to be test driving a MSP tomorrow and I would like to see if I can identify the hesitation issue. How exactly can I make it happen and what should I look for? Should I go on a highway?

Thanks for the input.

here's how you recreate it...shift to second after first and romp on the gas. It won't do a damn thing. As for the stumble, under hard acceleration through 2nd and 3rd and 4th, between 3k and ~4.25k you'll feel it not pull as smooth as it should. If you don't get it doing it that way than one of two things has occured:

1) A fixed MSP...I hate to say the 8 people who said no are BSing...but I just don't believe it...
2) You didn't do it right. :D

Fakhelek said:
I just went to an 'Open House' for new owners at my dealer yesterday. It is an intro to the service dept. and staff and ends with a Q&A session. Somebody asked about Recalls and the service manager during his answer mentioned ECU flashes and that sometimes they issue them like if a car has hesitation. I didn't even mention it yet.

I then asked about the MSP and he said that they expected a new ECU flash from Mazda in 'about 2 weeks'. I think he has his s*** straight since it seemed to be the first thing that came to his mind when talking about recalls.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Is this dealer Smail Mazda ? that is hwere I bought my car from.

boostisgood said:

Is this dealer Smail Mazda ? that is hwere I bought my car from.

Yes! It is Smail. I got one of two Black Micas. So you got the Orange. I thought that you said earlier that you got yours from the other side of town. I must be thinking of somebody else.

I'm going to search now and see if I can find any comments you have made about your dealer. I have been very happy so far but I would like a second opinion. So how have they been with you?

BTW, they have a regular Protege (not sure if it is an ES) in the showroom now with aftermarket wheels, MazdaSpeed spoiler, and exhaust tip and some other stuff on it. They also put an Ingen CAI on it. It is dark green and looks pretty good. It is sitting right where my baby was when they pulled it out of the showroom for me to drive away. :D

Let me know what you think of Smail, and what goes on in the way of Autocross, etc in The Burgh. I live about 1 1/2 hours away in Johnstown. One of the Smail guys said they sponsor a 'Fast and the Furious' night. Not sure if it is just a show or if they race or something. The name put me off a little, but I am curious what is fun to do with our MSPs in Pittsburgh.

Always good to see a Burgh presence on a national board! Now I know somebody here knows where the 'Sowside' is and what 'youuns' means. Go Stillers! :D :D :D

lmao yeah, i was dahntahn drinkin some irn city beer with donni Irs, and cahr pahr. lmao.

Smail is pretty good. Frank the service writeup guy is pretty straight. He helps alot, and the Mazdaspeed thech there is one of the best in the nation.

The FnF night is a drag race nite for sport compats at www.pittsburghracewaypark.com the next one is july 11th. As far as autox, goto www.nhscc.com to find out thier events. I have yet to find anyother Autox events. also check out www.beaverun.com they have a road course there, that just kciks ass to drive on. :D

EDIT: that green Protege is going for 21k. lmao I laughed at them for that one. All that s*** on it, and no boost. AAANNNNDDDD costs more then an 03.5 MSP lol

boostisgood said:
lmao yeah, i was dahntahn drinkin some irn city beer with donni Irs, and cahr pahr. lmao.

Smail is pretty good. Frank the service writeup guy is pretty straight. He helps alot, and the Mazdaspeed thech there is one of the best in the nation.

The FnF night is a drag race nite for sport compats at www.pittsburghracewaypark.com the next one is july 11th. As far as autox, goto www.nhscc.com to find out thier events. I have yet to find anyother Autox events. also check out www.beaverun.com they have a road course there, that just kciks ass to drive on. :D

Hey, thanks for all the info! I have never raced and don't know about the drag events (I want to learn to drive on curves). Beaver Run sounds like my kinda thing. I will check out the links. Thanks again! Also, thanks for all the effort on the hesitation. I don't have it bad, but I do have 'flat spots' in torque. Usually at the worst times like on yellow lights. You have set the ground work so when I go in for my first service visit they will know what I am talking about. I can't emphasize enough what a favor you have done for me by educating Smail on this issue.

You should reward yourself with a Sammich from Primani Bros. :D

P.S. Is the MazdaSpeed tech Eddie? He looked at a '93 RX-7 I was looking at buying. Found oil leaks around the apex seals and turbo. Probably saved me boo-coo cash and trouble.

servoeyes said:
here's how you recreate it...shift to second after first and romp on the gas. It won't do a damn thing. As for the stumble, under hard acceleration through 2nd and 3rd and 4th, between 3k and ~4.25k you'll feel it not pull as smooth as it should. If you don't get it doing it that way than one of two things has occured:

1) A fixed MSP...I hate to say the 8 people who said no are BSing...but I just don't believe it...
2) You didn't do it right. :D

Or most importantly- 3)- it wasn't hot enough (the car or the weather)
Joe

RODSLINGER TO THE RESUCE. Ok people, I gotta go on the road. Imma start an actual Petition type deal, and email it to those yahoos at corporate. :D

I do notice a slight hesitation when excellerating hard it lags quite a bit when its hot out. It was 98 today in VA. On my way home i got on it and it didnt go it just hesitated and i was at half throttle. Also thanks for the help.

hahaha, I love the song.

Too much Boost is on my turbo...
It's the truth, it's factual...everything is satisfactual.
Bumpidy-do-da bumpidy-a
my oh my aren't those neons so gay?

My sub is broken, the rear clunks all day.
Bumpidy-do-da bumpidy-a

I noticed today that i didnt have as much power in 1st or 2nd gear. I don't know why this happened. It was just like all of a sudden. I guess I will park it in the garage and drive it tomorrow to work and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back