Info for Hesitation/Stumble issue

who has had stubling/hesitation issues?

• Yes, I have or have had the issue

Votes: 126 93.3%
  • No, My MSP is good to go.

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters
:( . After battling the hesitation / stumble issue for the past two months, yesterday the frustration overcame the love I had for my Speed.

I traded my speed for a WRX and handed the kesy to my wife. I'll be driving he x Protege es till the RX8, STI or R32 become available.

Yes Sir!

My MSP has the dreaded stumble. First noticed it a couple of days after I bought the car. Annoying to say the least.

Hey boostisgood: Here's a link to an earlier poll - I have been out of the action for a bit but am also writing a letter to MazdaUSA on the issue. Results of the earlier poll (to save you from clickin') were 82 with hesitation, 2 without. I've also voted in your poll (and I'm not one of the 2 without a problem).

I'm bringing mine in for an oil change next month and will advise the tech at that time so I'm on the record as having hesitation. You'll see in that earlier post the Mazda replies we all got, basically the same form letter.

Hope you have some luck, but remember the more publicity this issue gets the lower the resale value on our cars, even if Mazda addresses the issue. I agree that we've been more than patient with Mazda and they seem to be dragging their feet on this, but big organizations move slowly.

Two key pieces of data in our favor:

1) We are Mazda's target market: Young, influential buyers of a marquis model - people who will talk up Mazda and enthusiasts that others come to when making car-buying decisions.
2) If each of us spent $20k on our car, that's (pinky on chin) $40 MILLION dollars in top-line revenue that we represent - and that's just the (2000) 2003 models.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted. I'm going to have some tiem this weekend and will be getting at that delayed letter to MazdaUSA.

Leon Dixon
"ping"

TURBO3WAGON said:
:( . After battling the hesitation / stumble issue for the past two months, yesterday the frustration overcame the love I had for my Speed.

I traded my speed for a WRX and handed the kesy to my wife. I'll be driving he x Protege es till the RX8, STI or R32 become available.

Did you take a big hit on the trade in..? Did you get a new or used WRX?

I have had the problem ever since owning the car. I took it to the dealer back in Feb. and they said they could find nothing wrong with it. They had their head tech drive it for 35miles and he said he felt nothing wrong. I also have zero modifications done to my car

I've also had the problem since day 1. As an ASE certified mechanic I tried to explain the fuel problem to the dealer, they told me they didn't notice a problem. I flicked 'em off. I also was only offered the test drive after my loan ap went through. Even then it was less then 2 miles. My service department is horrible and any work I do to the car myself will void the warranty. I guess they don't want my car to run like it should. I also have the clunk. It's annoying, but not near annoying as that stupid-ass 10psi boost cut. WTF??. Also, we're all fools if we don't think MNAO doesn't already know about it's negative press on this car. Every article I've read on this car all said it has massive fuel/puter problems. I know if I were a manufacturer and MOTORTREND or SPORT COMPACT CAR were doing an article/head-to-head on my car I'd be the first one at the newsstand. Mazda knows this already, they don't care. I'm getting rid of this piece of s***. Doing what I should've done in the first place....buying a Scooby.

I wish I could get a WRX but I can't afford to go upside down on my MSP..which is probably what would happen...:(

ping said:
, but remember the more publicity this issue gets the lower the resale value on our cars, even if Mazda addresses the issue.

I agree 100%, I think that bitching about this in public will only hurt us in the long run.. I know it is frustrating, but dont jump the gun and ruin it for everyone :).. Look at any car that has been publicized as a "problem car" - the resale is squat- dealers won't even take them as trade in's half the time.. Just my $.02 and a legitimate warning.. Like my mother always said "think before you act" :D .. I just don't want you to give the cars a bad rep that can't be reversed... Hell, maybe I will get my Evo after all and ditch this thing before you guys totally blow the resale of it :).

Turbo Matty P said:
It's annoying, but not near annoying as that stupid-ass 10psi boost cut. WTF??.

That is so you don't blow your NA designed motor up at 10 psi :).. Pretty much all turbo cars have a fuel cut to protect it against people blowing it up- they do have to issue a warranty on these thing you know, can't have people easily blowing them up :)..

Doing what I should've done in the first place....buying a Scooby.

Oh yeah, that's an easy car to tune :rolleyes: ... Let me know when you hit low 13's and how much $$$ you spent. I looked into them and they are the worst car I could have bought to mod. Need to get a U-tech (sp?) ECU to do anything with it and then there is always the glass trans to look out for.. Pure Garbage... Every enthusiast that I know who bought one to mod, sold it within a year...
Joe

Joe your funny (lol) Ill be dynoing my car in 2 weeks with the Injen and your boost controller on it, to see what we get from those 2 mods. Ill hopefully, also have my D/P by then too.

kwiktsi said:

That is so you don't blow your NA designed motor up at 10 psi :).. Pretty much all turbo cars have a fuel cut to protect it against people blowing it up- they do have to issue a warranty on these thing you know, can't have people easily blowing them up :)..

Oh yeah, that's an easy car to tune :rolleyes: ... Let me know when you hit low 13's and how much $$$ you spent. I looked into them and they are the worst car I could have bought to mod. Need to get a U-tech (sp?) ECU to do anything with it and then there is always the glass trans to look out for.. Pure Garbage... Every enthusiast that I know who bought one to mod, sold it within a year...
Joe
had one sold it in 6 months. dealer just kept refusing to fix the trans problems. it was stock
yeah i ran her a little hard sometimes but for every one person who has had NO problems there are 2-3 that have
anyway everycar has issues.

boostisgood said:
Joe your funny (lol) Ill be dynoing my car in 2 weeks with the Injen and your boost controller on it, to see what we get from those 2 mods. Ill hopefully, also have my D/P by then too.

Cool, keep me posted. I might be hitting the strip Weds. night, if I do, I'll let you guys know what the car ran.
Joe

The people who are voting NO should maybe post about their car (3 or 3.5), and driving habits. Mine "seems" fine untill about half throttle, then anything past that is real jerky. Way worse on hot days.

I just went to an 'Open House' for new owners at my dealer yesterday. It is an intro to the service dept. and staff and ends with a Q&A session. Somebody asked about Recalls and the service manager during his answer mentioned ECU flashes and that sometimes they issue them like if a car has hesitation. I didn't even mention it yet.

I then asked about the MSP and he said that they expected a new ECU flash from Mazda in 'about 2 weeks'. I think he has his s*** straight since it seemed to be the first thing that came to his mind when talking about recalls.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Back