I can’t drive with 35 PSI (in OEM Toyo tires)!

singing that in my Sammy voice….
i am at 20,000 miles on my 2020 CX5 GT with Preferred Package. Running OEM Toyo tires. I recently put a wireless TPMS on my tires and noticed that tire pressure was getting to 39PSI on my highway driving taking into account it is still summer her in Massachusetts and warm. I dropped the cold PSI down from 35 to 31…..and I have felt that the drive is more comfortable. I felt all along the CX5 at 35 PSI cold was rough over bumps etc and whereas at the lower 31 it feels the CX5 is gripping the bumps rather than just bouncing over them. The tires are getting to 34PSI max now.

I imagine I will bump them up a PSI or 2 during the winter, but for now I can’t drive 35.

Indeed its bumpy but probably gets best mpg according to Mazda :)
I keep them mine at 33. Used to have 31 on my other CX5 but over time noticed the tire started to wear a bit faster.

The specified tire pressure is measured “cold”. It is normal for that pressure to increase as the tires heat up - ideal gas laws and all that science stuff. These pressures are designed to safely support the maximum GVW without over-stressing the tires. Lower pressures could result in higher tire pressures as the tires flex more and generate more heat internally…and additional pressure. You don’t have to follow the placard in the driver’s door jam, but the result could be higher tire wear, a more uncomfortable ride, or even tire failure.

Playing around with tire pressure is what people who race do. But get a real set of tires if you want grip or better mpg.

i usually set mine to 37, but that's usually after having driven for a while. i try to park for close to half an hour before making the 1/2-mile trek to check and fill the tires. ride is a little rough set to 37; maybe i'll try 35 if it won't upset the MPGs.

I'm also in Massachusetts at 34k miles on my 2021 with OEM Toyo tires and I run 39 PSI cold. I don't mind the firmer ride and I tend to wear the edges off of my tires if I don't run the pressure on the higher side. The Toyos are low-end tires but mine have worn quite evenly and haven't gotten noisy yet; hoping to get 40k out of them before replacing them with something nicer.

i usually set mine to 37, but that's usually after having driven for a while. i try to park for close to half an hour before making the 1/2-mile trek to check and fill the tires. ride is a little rough set to 37; maybe i'll try 35 if it won't upset the MPGs.
You're setting the tire pressure to 37 AFTER having driven for a while?

It's recommended to set the pressures while the tires are COLD.

I set my cold pressure to 38psi. No issues for me.

You're setting the tire pressure to 37 AFTER having driven for a while?

It's recommended to set the pressures while the tires are COLD.

I set my cold pressure to 38psi. No issues for me.
OK, Herr Burkhardt. I think you may be taking things a little too seriously. Letting the tires cool for half an hour should be sufficient as long as you compensate at the pump.

OK, Herr Burkhardt. I think you may be taking things a little too seriously. Letting the tires cool for half an hour should be sufficient as long as you compensate at the pump.

That would be Mr. Burkhardt to you sir! And if I want to take something seriously, or not, is not for you to say. Why would you suggest that I'm taking this too seriously anyways?

Half an hour cooling in the heat is not going to get you a COLD tire. Oh, but you're compensating at the pump. :rolleyes:

cold means cold ie ambient temp. if you take a IR heat gun and aim it at a tire that has been sitting 1/2 hour it will still be much hotter than ambient temp. the really cool kids use the 10% rule to set psi. what is the 10% rule you ask....take your cold tire psi and then go for a 10 mile drive and measure it again..if your tire pressure is set correctly it should go up 10% for simple math when cold if it was 30 psi when driven 10 miles it should be at 33psi. if cold 35psi should be 38.5psi after driving. if initial psi is too low there will be greater than 10% rise in heated psi if too high to begin with it will go up less than 10%.

The door jamb 'cold' psi takes into account that the tires will heat up. That's why you're supposed to set it before driving more than about a mile. It's expected that the psi will increase at least 4 psi after the tires have been driven on. Lowering the tire pressure will also increase tread wear.

If it's just you, or you and a passenger, you might try lowering only the rear tires psi. That might fix the 'bounce' you mentioned

cold means cold ie ambient temp. if you take a IR heat gun and aim it at a tire that has been sitting 1/2 hour it will still be much hotter than ambient temp. the really cool kids use the 10% rule to set psi. what is the 10% rule you ask....take your cold tire psi and then go for a 10 mile drive and measure it again..if your tire pressure is set correctly it should go up 10% for simple math when cold if it was 30 psi when driven 10 miles it should be at 33psi. if cold 35psi should be 38.5psi after driving. if initial psi is too low there will be greater than 10% rise in heated psi if too high to begin with it will go up less than 10%.
10% ? A 3 PSI increase in 10 miles? Not in my experience. Must be a really hot day on really hot roads. Winter time? Summer time? Don't agree with the greater than 10 % situation either.

10% ? A 3 PSI increase in 10 miles? Not in my experience. Must be a really hot day on really hot roads. Winter time? Summer time? Don't agree with the greater than 10 % situation either.
you don't have to agree. I should have said 10 mile drive at highway speeds id 70-80mph normal day this time of year works.

singing that in my Sammy voice….
i am at 20,000 miles on my 2020 CX5 GT with Preferred Package. Running OEM Toyo tires. I recently put a wireless TPMS on my tires and noticed that tire pressure was getting to 39PSI on my highway driving taking into account it is still summer her in Massachusetts and warm. I dropped the cold PSI down from 35 to 31…..and I have felt that the drive is more comfortable. I felt all along the CX5 at 35 PSI cold was rough over bumps etc and whereas at the lower 31 it feels the CX5 is gripping the bumps rather than just bouncing over them. The tires are getting to 34PSI max now.

I imagine I will bump them up a PSI or 2 during the winter, but for now I can’t drive 35.
Since you have put a wireless TPMS on tires and you should be able to also monitor the tire temperature which is another function from the tire TPMS sensor. You’ll find the tire temp is getting higher by using lower tire psi. Like @CarpeDiem said above lowering the tire pressure than factory recommended could result higher tire temperature and faster tire wear.

If you don’t like the driving feels using factory recommended tire pressure at 35 psi COLD on CX-5, you may just need to consider some other car such as Honda CR-V for softer ride. Getting more comfortable tires such as General AltiMAX RT43 can be another alternative but tires can only do so much on ride feels and can’t change too much to CX-5’s ride characteristic designed by Mazda. Lowering the tire pressure than recommended is the worst solution to change the ride characteristic of a vehicle.

Like @cadcamjim I too use 39 psi as I also noticed for my vehicles it will wear the edges off of my tires if I don't run the pressure on the higher side. My factory Toyo A23’s had worn quite evenly and weren’t too noisy until 44,032 miles when I replaced them with Radar Dimax AS-8‘s.

Last edited:
I use 27 PSI cold pressure. Tire pressure calculator is 28 psi (6 lower than the standard tire) and I go 1 psi lower. 26 psi is the lowest pressure recommended in this size.

16s2.png

Last edited:
Since you have put a wireless TPMS on tires and you should be able to also monitor the tire temperature which is another function from the tire TPMS sensor. You’ll find the tire temp is getting higher by using lower tire psi. Like @CarpeDiem said above lowering the tire pressure than factory recommended could result higher tire temperature and faster tire wear.

If you don’t like the driving feels using factory recommended tire pressure at 35 psi COLD on CX-5, you may just need to consider some other car such as Honda CR-V for softer ride. Getting more comfortable tires such as General AltiMAX RT43 can be another alternative but tires can only do so much on ride feels and can’t change too much to CX-5’s ride characteristic designed by Mazda. Lowering the tire pressure than recommended is the worst solution to change the ride characteristic of a vehicle.

Like @cadcamjim I too use 39 psi as I also noticed for my vehicles it will wear the edges off of my tires if I don't run the pressure on the higher side. My factory Toyo A23’s had worn quite evenly and weren’t too noisy until 44,032 miles when I replaced them with Radar Dimax AS-8‘s.
Good points regarding tires being limited in mitigating a harsh ride. And lowering pressure isn't a good fix. After getting rid of the horrible factory Yokohama Geolandars, the Altimax RT-43 made the ride much more livable at a few PSI above door sticker. They were good tires, even without the sharpest handling. But still had to remind myself at times that the suspension is stiff and will transmit road shock and no it's not struts going bad. The Pirelli Scorpion AS+3 tires ride the best so far and better handling than the RT43's. Maybe a bit of a plug for the Pirelli's, but they are the best tire I've had in years.

Latest posts

Back