Winter Tire Size for 2023 CX-5 Turbo?

I’m looking to buy some winter beater wheels and tires for my 23 CX5 Turbo, and I came across some Blizzaks mounted on Toyota rims. The tire size is 235/60/17 which look to very close overall diameter as the OEM 225/55/19. They are a hair smaller though. They will basically spin 16 more revolutions per mile than stock. Is there anything else that I should be concerned with? They are basically brand new and at a price that is about 25% of what it would cost new. I don’t do a lot of highway driving in the winter, but may take a small trip or two. Otherwise it’s basically my daily commute and whatever I do on the weekends.
Thanks

Which Toyota rims are they mounted on? You'll want to check the offset to see if the new wheels will sit too far inboard (suspension contact) or too far outboard (fender liner/guard contact). You'll want to check backspacing to make sure there's no contact with the brake calipers. And you'll want to check load rating to make sure the rims can handle the weight of the CX-5 (likely not an issue). You'll also want to make sure the bolt pattern (5x114.3 on the CX-5) and the hub bore is compatible (67.1mm and larger).

If everything checks out, the only issue I can think of is the TPMS warning light that will always be on, unless you install new TPMS sensors coded to your CX-5. You could always ask the seller if they have aftermarket sensors in the winter tires, because if they do, you can probably have them recoded at a tire shop for free, and get rid of the TPMS warning light.

They have aftermarket TPMS, so I can get those dialed in. However the offset for the Toyota rims is 35 mm which is under the Mazda by about 5-7 mm. That might be an issue. Pretty sure they are off a Rav 4.

5-7mm isn't much, but you can eyeball it to see if the difference would affect anything. I do recall a couple of CX-5 owners switching to the 2nd gen OEM CX-9 20" wheels and tires with no issues. Those wheels are 20x8.5" with an offset of 45, and 255/50/20 tires.

OEM offset on Gen 2 is 45mm.

Right, but wheel width of the 2nd gen OEM 19s is 7" or 7.5". So even if the offset between the OEM 19s and the CX-9's OEM 20s is the same, the 20s have an extra 1/2 to 3/4" of width on each side of the wheel, which is much more than the 5-7 mm difference with the Toyota wheels (whether that is a negative or positive offset change).

I think that if the Toyota wheels have a lower offset (ie. 38-40mm) than the OEM Mazda wheels, OP should be good to go. If it's higher (ie. 50-52mm), then OP should check the backspacing to make sure there is no contact with the brake calipers. If the wheels sit more inboard, there may also be a change in handling and cornering ability at moderate speeds.

Just providing the spec. I have no doubt it will fit with the lower offset, assuming the hub bore and bolt pattern are correct, or hub adapters can be used. The actual price would help in determining if it really is a good deal or worth getting something else.

Back