How To Use Seafoam To Clean Your Engine

mp3wannabe said:
only if you run it through your crankcase would you need to change the oil.

CORRECT. I was hoping someone would clear that up. Running it into the brake boost line does not necessitate an oil change two seconds later.

Only if you put it in the crankcase to help with sticky lifters and such. Even then you have to give it some time to work. An oil change would be necessary though shortly after adding it into the crankcase.

Added SeaFoam to the engine oil, gas, and vaccum lines. Car runs smoother and quieter...

is there a diy, how to, to do this, i see it's very good for my car to do it too. At lease pics of wich hose, vaccum lines i should use, thanks!

So if i got to autozone, i just ask for seafoam?

From what I have read so far, "sea foam" is a great internal engine cleaner. Now, is this an American product? I ask that question because I have done some research (I went to Canadian Tire and Part Source) and they have never heard of it. Also, they were quick to point out "Gunk" as an alternative. If "sea foam" isn't available in Canada, what other product will have the same effect/result?

After more research, Napa has sea foam and my Protege will be getting some in the next few days.

Black_Protege_5 said:
Oh yea you have to do an oil change after doing this. Its not good to leave it in the oil for long periods.

if u dont pour any in the crank case (oil) you dont need to change the oil

amsgator said:
how long should you let it run in the oil before changing it?

I ran the seafoam in my old oil for about 5 minutes, drained that and filled her up with new oil. Ran that for 5-10 minutes and drained it out again. The new oil came out just as black as the old oil I had in there for 2500miles!!! Then finished up the oil change with a new filter and 4 more quarts of new oil.

shoot nvm. thats like a 60 dollar oil change.

i wana seafoam my lawn mower :) see if it works better. haha

sam1 said:
I ran the seafoam in my old oil for about 5 minutes, drained that and filled her up with new oil. Ran that for 5-10 minutes and drained it out again. The new oil came out just as black as the old oil I had in there for 2500miles!!! Then finished up the oil change with a new filter and 4 more quarts of new oil.

one of my friends said to let it run in the oil for like 100 miles?

Seafoam is simply amazing in my book. I've used it 3 ways in my car and yes, I have put some in my lawn equipment just to see if it ran better. It did!

amsgator said:
one of my friends said to let it run in the oil for like 100 miles?

idk, thats pretty stout stuff, i wouldn't leave it in the oil for any longer than 30 minutes...

Back