How to: Use 93-96 Mazda MX6 rear strut tower bar for a P5

Just a note to add to this. Went to ebay found the mx6 bars but there are anodized red & blue megan strut bars for the mx6s also. The prices are higher for those of course - 80-85.00 plus shipping. I have a question about final install. Can you get to the bolts to remove bar from mounts without removing the panels in case you need to haul something & the bar is in the way? Couldn't quite tell from the finished picture.......

It looks to me as if you can. I copied the pic out and zoomed it until it was too blurry to see anything but, it appears that the brackets just stick out past the panel exposing the bolts for the bar. As soon as I get some conformation I might be shopping E-bay...........

i12drivemyMP5 said:
Just a note to add to this. Went to ebay found the mx6 bars but there are anodized red & blue megan strut bars for the mx6s also. The prices are higher for those of course - 80-85.00 plus shipping. I have a question about final install. Can you get to the bolts to remove bar from mounts without removing the panels in case you need to haul something & the bar is in the way? Couldn't quite tell from the finished picture.......

OK, ebay update...The megan 80 or 85.00 was front & rear, the megan rear alone was 42.00 for red, blue or polished. Gunmetal for 29.95.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
I have a question about final install. Can you get to the bolts to remove bar from mounts without removing the panels in case you need to haul something & the bar is in the way? Couldn't quite tell from the finished picture.......

Yes you can...Here's a close up of the bar.

WiL

Attachments

• Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
awesome how-to - know whats goin on my things to do list.... (rockon)

welcome to the forums, hope they help u as much as they have helped me

Nice find and it fits and looks good. It looks like the one I made for my car but I made mine to fit without cutting the blet bracket.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
OK, ebay update...The megan 80 or 85.00 was front & rear, the megan rear alone was 42.00 for red, blue or polished. Gunmetal for 29.95.

I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure the front bars fits the protege5 also...You'll notice the 4 bolt holes in the front bar (similar to the protege5)...But you may have to manuver the cruise control bracket and such. (the car already has a front bar, so why mess with it)

Also, I don't think there's a performance difference between the megan and cheapo bars...If you look at the STB bracket, it's the same on both (all the companies that sell it seem to be in the same Alhambra/El Monte area, meaning they get it from the same place)...The only difference is the actual bar, AND you'll have to position the megan bar to end up right side up vs. the cheapo bars (just twist it until it tightens up).

WiL

Wasn't considering replacing the front one-just price definition. I already have a cp racing front one that is not on car yet due to cruise control relocating issue. Yes I've seen the how-to but not sure where the "new" bracket came from. Don't use the cc but not sure what CEL will come up if it is just removed. Scored the rear non-megan one for 25 w/shipping/ins. waiting, waiting, waiting.........

i12drivemyMP5 said:
Wasn't considering replacing the front one-just price definition. I already have a cp racing front one that is not on car yet due to cruise control relocating issue. Yes I've seen the how-to but not sure where the "new" bracket came from. Don't use the cc but not sure what CEL will come up if it is just removed. Scored the rear non-megan one for 25 w/shipping/ins. waiting, waiting, waiting.........

Oh...Actually I was just saying that I think the front one fits...It's just a matter on who wants to try it :D

I don't think the cruise control will cause a CEL, because it's not a smog issue (I'm assuming, so I may be wrong on this)...But I was thinking since I don't use the cc that often, maybe I can relocate new switches for the cc (4 buttons) and use the existing buttons on the steering wheel for a carputer project I was thinking of doing :D

Great! You got the rear STB...Glad I can help...Let me know if you guys need some help.

WiL

I did this install last weekend after receiving bar. Only thing I did different was not cutting the seat belt part but just bending the lip up with big crescent wrench then after bolting back on used hammer to knock edge back down close to top of bar mount. Fit great with no cutting.

Did you cut the plastic panels to get them to fit or what?

*Edit* - Oops, nevermind, saw the pic, very clean, great write up.

ke20sprinter said:
Wow! Really nice P5, I have the same color...But I have alot of door dings (cabpatch)

WiL
welcom i have lot's of ding's too (thumb)

i12drivemyMP5 said:
I did this install last weekend after receiving bar. Only thing I did different was not cutting the seat belt part but just bending the lip up with big crescent wrench then after bolting back on used hammer to knock edge back down close to top of bar mount. Fit great with no cutting.

Hey, whatever works...But that's a great idea!

WiL

Latest posts

Back