How To: UDP Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I'll hopefully be able to get to Autozone or somewhere tomorrow to get some belts. I'd like to get Mazda belts (I don't trust American products) but then they'd be like "oh let us see the car we'll find the belts" and they might notice mods :p

I think the package might have come today, it was shipping USPS and I got a package delivery notice so I'm going to try and get there as soon as they open tomorrow, hopefully it hasn't gone out on a truck yet.

Just so you know (saw your earlier edit), I don't have Gates belts. In fact, I don't know what belts I have (bought them used from other forum member). I think you'll be fine w/most belts as long as you get the correct length...

haha don't attempt this mod without an impact wrench.. All I need to do is get that one last bolt off and I'm set but I can't get it off because it keeps spinning.

zverg said:
haha don't attempt this mod without an impact wrench.. All I need to do is get that one last bolt off and I'm set but I can't get it off because it keeps spinning.

Anyone know a place that rents them?

I called a few Advance Auto Part locations in my area and no one has them.

Just put it in 5th gear and have someone stomp on the brakes... worked for me =)

zverg said:

viVid said:
Just put it in 5th gear and have someone stomp on the brakes... worked for me =)

Electric impact wrench worked for me. Pulley is on.. and I don't notice any big gains, not that I expected any with the FS-DE. I tried keepin it low RPMs and it seemed like it pulled harder but I'll say it's just the placebo effect.

Thanks for the writeup, helped a lot.

zverg said:
Electric impact wrench worked for me. Pulley is on.. and I don't notice any big gains, not that I expected any with the FS-DE. I tried keepin it low RPMs and it seemed like it pulled harder but I'll say it's just the placebo effect.

Thanks for the writeup, helped a lot.

so is it worth the money you got for it do you think?...(gossip)

Last edited:
there should be absolutely no difference in setup/layout of the stock pulley system between the p5 and the sedan. So I highly doubt there is any size difference...

Your engine is the 2.0 liter? Or 1.8?

I know I had a lot of trouble finding the belts in a store. I ended up at Advance Auto Parts and bought "Dayco" brand belts. I shouldn't have thrown out the packaging, I'll go check outside and see if the belts have the part number on them.

Dayco part numbers 5050450 and 5040355 are what I have installed currently with my RR-Racing UDP. Dayco is carried by the Advance Auto Parts around here.

zverg said:
Dayco part numbers 5050450 and 5040355 are what I have installed currently with my RR-Racing UDP. Dayco is carried by the Advance Auto Parts around here.

Thanks Appreciate it

ok then there shouldn't be much of a problem. Again, I bought mine used and the belts came w/it so (shrug)

Glad you got it down though. Let us know if you need anything else!

Okay last question then I will attempt the install when I get back in town next week....I got gates belt K050460 because the guy told me they were out of 450 or 446...He told me 460 would work...Do you guys recommend I use this belt or should i take it back next week and get the right size?

J dragon said:
Okay last question then I will attempt the install when I get back in town next week....I got gates belt K050460 because the guy told me they were out of 450 or 446...He told me 460 would work...Do you guys recommend I use this belt or should i take it back next week and get the right size?

I think the 460 will just be a bit long, I would guess you can push the adjusters out enough to compensate.. I could be wrong though.

THe crank bolt with auto tran.

Is the bolt a right or left handed thread? The sob wont come off with 1/2 impact. been at it for an hour. will someone please tell how the hell to get the thing off?

righty tightey, lefty loosey

So turn counterclockwise.

Are you sure the crank isn't spinning? We had to jam the tire removal tool between the teeth on the auto flywheel to stop the crank from moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back