How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

That was actually my bro in OR helping me selling them...

I just bought mine from him.

They came in the mail today and WOW... what a huge (and I mean HUGE) difference in being able to see out the rear window! Money well spent IMHO. I'm sure it's all about "safety" (government regulations), but I don't see why the U.S. spec CX-5's couldn't have come with these low profile headrests.

Anyone have a need for the black leather U.S. version of the headrests (left & right sides) I removed from my car? I'd hate to just toss them into the trash but I have no need for them. I'm tempted to cut them up just to see how they're made. :)

I just bought mine from him.

They came in the mail today and WOW... what a huge (and I mean HUGE) difference in being able to see out the rear window! Money well spent IMHO. I'm sure it's all about "safety" (government regulations), but I don't see why the U.S. spec CX-5's couldn't have come with these low profile headrests.

Anyone have a need for the black leather U.S. version of the headrests (left & right sides) I removed from my car? I'd hate to just toss them into the trash but I have no need for them. I'm tempted to cut them up just to see how they're made. :)

I'm glad you really enjoy them. Just keep the USDM version & swap them back when you sell the car. ;)

Ok, I broke out the razor blade and took the old headrests apart. They're made of vinyl/ synthetic leather. I wonder what other sections of the seats are trimmed with fake vs. real leather?

Ok, I broke out the razor blade and took the old headrests apart. They're made of vinyl/ synthetic leather. I wonder what other sections of the seats are trimmed with fake vs. real leather?
I actually prefer fake/synthetic leather over the real leather... easier maintenance. :p

Thanks FENDYMAN, received my JDM headrests very quickly!
You are welcome. I hope you are enjoying them. ;)

I actually prefer fake/synthetic leather over the real leather... easier maintenance. :p

I 100% agree. The new synthetics are nothing like yesteryear's pleather. Synthetics don't dry out like real leather. And like you said, maintenance involves a lot less elbow grease.

I have tried my wife's 2009 Honda CRV headrest and it fits perfectly. The only problem is, that it's gray. I don't think these CRVs come with black interior.

Tibimakai,
When you say the CRV headrest fits "perfectly" do you mean the rods slide in easily, and there is no gap between the headrest and the seat (like the Mazda 6 headrest has)?

If it does fit perfectly, I believe you can get it in black. Here is a link to a schematic diagram and parts list for the 2009 CRV (EX model) rear seat:
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/interior_bumper/b__41~2009~honda~cr-v~5dr_ex_2wd~5at~ka~rear~seat.html

The two side rear headrests are number 8 on the diagram, and if you look down the list of parts for number 8, the colors listed are ATLAS GRAY, INDIGO BLACK, and PEARL IVORY.

I did a search by part # and came up with this link from Toronto Honda Parts (I am in Canada). The price is $56.84 for one headrest. If these actually fit perfectly, it is a much cheaper way to go than ordering the Mazda ones from Japan.

This price is for cloth, though. I checked prices for the EX model CRV, since I have cloth interior in my CX-5. If you have leather, part numbers for leather seats are here.

What I'm really asking is if you can verify the CRV ones really do fit perfectly before anyone here (me) tries to order them. If you had the opportunity to take pictures of your CRV headrests in the CX-5, that would be fantastic (not that I'm trying to be too demanding or anything! I understand if it's a pain in the a--).

Thanks!

I will check later on, sorry about the delay, I have forgot about this. I had an accident and other stuff. To California, it would be $145.xx shipped. Not bad. Everywhere else in US, they are much more expensive.(part # 82140-SXT-A11ZB black)

I believe that the 2014 Mazda 6 headrest fits better and it's cheaper too.
http://www.mazda-parts.com/partscat.html
$35.94 black cloth.
Here is a picture, I have asked a sales person, if we can switch them out to try it out, if it would fit.
20140131_165920.jpg

Last edited:
$35.94 black cloth.
Here is a picture, I have asked a sales person, if we can switch them out to try it out, if it would fit.
View attachment 208722
WOW-thos are only $36/ea for the cloth. And they appear to fit much better than the Honda ones. Seems like a no-brainer. I will check them out next time I'm near a dealer.

$35.94 black cloth.
View attachment 208722

That's awesome! Not as awesome as JDM ones but close enough... a bit shorter from JDM ones. I can't tell from your pic... does it have red stitching as well?

Btw, I just received another shipment of black leather JDM rear headrests from Japan yesterday but they are all gone shipped this AM... except for 1 set which isn't paid for yet. (shocked)
PM me if you are interested. ;)

I placed an order with Quality Mazda this morning for a set of black M6 cloth rear headrests. They are backordered from Mazda and they have no idea when they will get them in. I told them to let the order stand and see what happens. BTW: there is no part number available for the rears on an M3, but from what I could tell at the dealership yesterday where I tried one from an M6 on (the fit was good enough that I felt OK with using them-especially for a total price of $85, incl. shipping), they are all the same.

It may have had red stitching, it was a while since I took that picture. We have just grabbed from one M6 a headrest.
Paris, did you try the M3 one too?
If I remember well, with the M6 there is a slight gap between the backrest and headrest, but I think that it is a bit better than the CRV, no? The CRV has a gap also.

Back