2019 Diesel CX-5 Tow hitch receiver for 350lbs+ tongue weight?

I am a proud new owner of a beautiful jet black 2019 cx-5 2.2t diesel (pics coming soon). Sadly, I am having to break up with my 2016 cx-5 2.5na due to some obscure trailer wiring issues (see last para below if interested in details) that were getting time/money intensive to debug. The 2016 was also approaching its max towing capacity when towing my tongue heavy toy hauler/camper although it was fine with nothing loaded and air ride bags installed.

Before, with the 2016, I had a Class III Curtis receiver installed which worked great (rated for 650lb tongue weight). But afaik this same receiver will not fit my 2019. The only options for receivers I have seen that work for my 2019 have a max tongue weight rating for 350lbs or less.

Does anyone know of a receiver hitch rated higher than the 350lbs tongue weight that is a fit for my 2019 diesel? Or is there a way to adapt my Curtis receiver on my 2016 to fit my 2019? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

ps fwiw etc - I use an electronically controlled hand throttle (which are used by people like me who cannot use their feet to operate foot pedals). the obscure wiring issue on the 2016 cx-5 flared up a few days after a shop installed a brake controller and trailer brake wiring on top of the electronic hand controls that have existed alongside my vehicle since I bought it in 2016. days after hauling my new trailer home from out of state something with the wiring began triggering my antitheft system at random times. it progressively got worse and worse and eventually left my vehicle disabled in the middle of the freeway a few times. NOT fun!! I grew tired of being without a vehicle while being bounced around between shops playing the blame game and I was unable to acquire a rental with both hand controls and a tow hitch. to resolve this mess I decided to start over with an upgraded blank slate (the 2019 diesel cx-5) and have a single shop install everything (the hand controls, brake controller, hitch wiring, and hitch receiver) with the hope that I don't have to worry about being bounced between shops again. seems like a clever solution but who knows

Good luck with the diesel CX=5!!!

Your first post here, I would suggest doing some research on your CX as the diesels have had serious issues with cracked cylinder heads and leaking head gaskets.

The max tow rating for the non-diesel CX is 2k lbs. If you're towing something with a tongue weight of over 350 lbs you are most likely exceeding the 2k lb weight rating. Good luck with that as well.

Good luck with the diesel CX=5!!!

Your first post here, I would suggest doing some research on your CX as the diesels have had serious issues with cracked cylinder heads and leaking head gaskets.

The max tow rating for the non-diesel CX is 2k lbs. If you're towing something with a tongue weight of over 350 lbs you are most likely exceeding the 2k lb weight rating. Good luck with that as well.
thank you for this information! I had not heard that and will certainly check up on that and double check that my warranty would cover such a thing

as far as exceeding the weight limit, the trailer walks right up to the 2000lbs limit but does not go over in the configuration I have. It is a toy hauler though so it is very tongue heavy. Here are the specs from the link I posted

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpeg
    IMG_0156.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 37
I am a proud new owner of a beautiful jet black 2019 cx-5 2.2t diesel (pics coming soon). ...
Congratulations on your new (to you) signature diesel. You're gonna love how it tows your trailer compared to the 2016 NA 2.5 powered previous setup.

The diesel-haters will be along shortly to remind you to be very afraid blah blah blah. Head gaskets in foreign lands from model years past blah blah blah.
NNbA2.jpg

I personally haven't seen any accounts of head gasket woes with our 2019 North American spec 2.2's anywhere and have enjoyed 83,000+ miles of happy trouble free diesel motoring so far with ours. I'll be sure to report back if/when my head gasket ever blows.

Here's a thread with some diesel info for your spare reading time ...
https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/just-...things-to-check-or-do.123878993/#post-6775028

My top advise for a new diesel owner is:
Get the FORscan app and OBDii Bluetooth adapter.
Use a good quality oil specified for your diesel (I like Mobil1 ESP 0w30 and the 7500mi interval from the maintenance schedule works well for me)

I personally try to not interrupt a DPF regeneration and make sure it completes the cycle and a few minutes of operation afterwards. Usually not an issue but occasionally I might have to drive around a few minutes extra to complete. I don't like shutting down the engine operating at high EGT's (could be rough on head gaskets? 🤔 Maybe? 😉)

Keep a spare fuel filter in the car. All it takes is one bad fill up to cause a problem. Nobody is gonna have a filter in stock so unless you already have it, you'll be tango uniform and have to pay premium shipping to get you going again. (If you ever change it, fill it up with diesel before you install it)

... towing my tongue heavy toy hauler/camper ...
That's a cool little adventure Basecamp buggy 😁 I like it!

Does anyone know of a receiver hitch rated higher than the 350lbs tongue weight that is a fit for my 2019 diesel? Or is there a way to adapt my Curtis receiver on my 2016 to fit my 2019?
I don't recall seeing one with a higher than 10% rating (back when I purchased one from trailer.com ... 3500 tow / 350 tongue. I can't remember which brand ours is. I did a quick search and didn't see it. Also, another problem may be that since there are so few 2.2 diesels in North America (2019 only year) that aftermarket suppliers probably aren't interested in investing time/effort with so few potential buyers. You may have to shop overseas from a European supplier and have it shipped here.

As far as adapting the hitch from your 2016, probably not going to work because of the DEF tank down there.

Looking forward to seeing adventure pics from you 👍😁

What a wealth of knowledge this is! Thank you for briefing me on your personal experience with this vehicle. I am taking careful notes. It is great to have someone like you in my corner in this arena!

I think I actually solved the hitch dilemma as you were typing that (see above). I will for sure keep you all posted on my future adventures. Cheers!

Problem solved, hopefully! Found this Curtis receiver on NAPA

Sadly .... "Excluding diesel"

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/13315

That's the problem you're going to run into at all these parts places. Their fitment guide is just going to say "all" models. I would strongly suggest that you contact the manufacturer of anything you come across to double check before pulling the trigger on it.

Last edited:
thanks for the heads up! heading back to NAPA now. I have my engine included on the receipt so this will be interesting to see what they say

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpeg
    IMG_0159.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 26
well the guy at NAPA thought it would still work. but they did find another hitch in their database that could be a better fit. they could not order it directly, however. it could be a couple days before I find out if I am able to order this receiver. it makes a compelling claim in its product description that it will work

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpeg
    IMG_0162.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 36
thank you for this information! I had not heard that and will certainly check up on that and double check that my warranty would cover such a thing

as far as exceeding the weight limit, the trailer walks right up to the 2000lbs limit but does not go over in the configuration I have. It is a toy hauler though so it is very tongue heavy. Here are the specs from the link I posted

Those numbers that you listed are un-loaded weights. What's the weight loaded with your 'toys"?

Snip...
Congratulations on your new (to you) signature diesel. You're gonna love how it tows your trailer compared to the 2016 NA 2.5 powered previous setup.

The diesel-haters will be along shortly to remind you to be very afraid blah blah blah. Head gaskets in foreign lands from model years past blah blah blah.
View attachment 325043

I personally haven't seen any accounts of head gasket woes with our 2019 North American spec 2.2's anywhere and have enjoyed 83,000+ miles of happy trouble free diesel motoring so far with ours. I'll be sure to report back if/when my head gasket ever blows.

Not sure if you're putting me in the 'diesel haters' group or not. I love diesels! I love my truck and I loved my VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI (50mpg). I wouldn't dream of buying a diesel CX-5 but I still like diesels.

Your graphic above is a double negative so it's saying 'to be afraid of diesels'. :unsure:

Those numbers that you listed are un-loaded weights. What's the weight loaded with your 'toys"?
i have only towed it dry. i was planning on loading it with my mobility equipment (wheelchair, walker, prosthetics, maybe scooter). and probably some of my cat's "toys" too lol

now that i have upgraded though me thinks an atv is in order

Last edited:
i have only towed it dry. i was planning on loading it with my mobility equipment (wheelchair, walker, prosthetics, maybe scooter). and probably some of my cat's "toys" too lol

now that i have upgraded though me thinks an atv is in order

"the trailer walks right up to the 2000lbs limit but does not go over in the configuration I have"

And after you load the trailer with all of your stuff, that 2k lbs limit will be exceeded.

Your cat must have a LOT of toys!

huh? i think you are confused. or you are confusing me. there are two vehicles here with two different limits. everything i have spoken about is hypothetical because i have not had a chance to load anything or weigh anything. only towed it once when unloaded and dry

maybe you are missing the part where I said I was "planning"

do plans ever go according to ..plan? if the math doesn't add up my plans will change

anyways I finally got my 2016 out of the shop and will be taking it and the trailer to a scale. lord only knows when my new baby will be ready

@blackmambo5 , I had a chance to snap a pic of our hitch on our diesel as a reference to the difference between the diesel hitch vs the gas model.

The diesel hitch has a two piece design that bolts together in order to accommodate the DEF tank. You can see in the photo (circled in green) where the bracket that mounts to the cx5 body on the driver side attached to the cross tube (in red) with three bolts.

The solid one-piece hitch that's all welded together is what you will find all of these other cx5 hitch designs are and I don't think they will install around the DEF tank.

The two piece bolt together design may also be the reason for the lower tongue loading rating.

There's a label on my hitch but unfortunately the manufacturer info I think is on the top side and I can't see it.

IMG_20240112_162616321~3.jpg

IMG_20240111_192007205.jpg

@blackmambo5 , I had a chance to snap a pic of our hitch on our diesel as a reference to the difference between the diesel hitch vs the gas model.

The diesel hitch has a two piece design that bolts together in order to accommodate the DEF tank. You can see in the photo (circled in green) where the bracket that mounts to the cx5 body on the driver side attached to the cross tube (in red) with three bolts.

The solid one-piece hitch that's all welded together is what you will find all of these other cx5 hitch designs are and I don't think they will install around the DEF tank.

The two piece bolt together design may also be the reason for the lower tongue loading rating.

There's a label on my hitch but unfortunately the manufacturer info I think is on the top side and I can't see it.

View attachment 325203

View attachment 325202
I just bought a 2019 CX5 with the 2.2 diesel. Where did you find a tow hitch that fits?

I just bought a 2019 CX5 with the 2.2 diesel. Where did you find a tow hitch that fits?
Mine was from trailer.com back in 2020.

I noticed when I was surfing around looking for options for the OP blackmombo5 that now it's difficult to find a hitch for the diesel. Everything you look at seems to say "fits all models" but somewhere in the smaller print says "excludes diesel".

I wonder if a diesel specific hitch is still available from Mazda?

Post up what you find.

I think I might have found one, I had to make sure it had the two pieces that bolt on together. Am making an appointment for later this week.

Back