How much PSI can human lungs make?

peepsalot

Contributor
:
Black 03 MSP
I'm just trying to get an idea here of how much psi really is, so how much can the average human make with just there lungs? Anyone know?

At sea level your experience 14.4 PSI on your lungs = 1 ATM = 1 Bar

Go down 33 feet in the water and that becomes 29.4psi = 2 ATM = 2 Bar
Go down 66 feet in the water and that becomes 44.1psi = 3 ATM = 3 Bar
Go down 99 feet in the water and that becomes 58.8psi = 4 ATM = 4 Bar

But you and handle it because as long as your fill up your lung with air you are all good. Its the change the psi that is what causes your long to overexpend and cause injuries.

So basically the ratio of the pressure of air inside your lung to the pressure of the air outside your lung is what cause the damage.

There is no max psi that your lung can hold. All it does is expands until there are tiny holes in your lung and it lets the pressure out into your lung which cause nitrogen air bubbles in your blood stream. and that is what kills you.

Scuba knowledge

Last edited:
A column of air, 1 square inch in cross section, measured from sea level to the top of the atmosphere would weigh approximately 14.7 lbs.

Doubt anyone's wasted their time to measure the "psi that human lungs make", it's all relative to the surrounding pressure.

Wiggles422 said:
before I installed my boost gauge I blew into it :D I think I got like 2psi but I can't remember.
haha i did that too...except i must be weak b.c i only got like 1-1.5psi lol

I am not asking for scuba knowledge. And I know what atmospheric pressure is. I am asking what additional psi above atmospehric pressure people are capable of creating, think blowing up a balloon.
I don't consider it a waste of time, it gives people a sense of what 1psi above atmospheric really means.

So I guess the answer is about 1-2 psi from the qualified scientists that blew really hard into their boost guages. Thanks guys.

I don't know why it is so hard to understand why I am interested in knowing this. It's like saying, "Why would you want to know what 1 pound of weight feels like in your hands. Why would you want to know how long a foot is?"

I blew a 1.7 psi at 1 ATM
and 6.5 at 3 ATM.

It depends on the ATM around you determains the psi you blew out at

FlyinMSP said:
I was able to get 2 psi by blowing. More than that my head will blow! :)
I'm sure your boyfriend appreciates that! (blowjob)

j/k

I'm sure I can generate higher psi than all of you...I play the trumpet. Its actually your diaphram that will create the pressure and not your lungs.

Rusty Trombone

Hell with turbos. I am going to just run a hose into the car and I will blow into it. The hose will be hooked up to the intake manifold. I will have multiple hookah like hoses so if there are more passengers I can go more faster.

4 passengers plus the driver it looks like I could make around 10 psi.

Gbourdon said:
Rusty Trombone

Hell with turbos. I am going to just run a hose into the car and I will blow into it. The hose will be hooked up to the intake manifold. I will have multiple hookah like hoses so if there are more passengers I can go more faster.

4 passengers plus the driver it looks like I could make around 10 psi.
HAHAHAH I Love it..

mazdaspdprotege said:
how many PSIs can be produced by farting ?
Well, if you're a guy, you should be able to fart about five psi.
Of course, if you're gay, you may actually produce suction.

Back