How common are Mazdas?

How do their offerings compare? Are they reliable unlike the mazda diesel?

The Mazda diesel only had issues back in 2012 in the CX-5 with oil dilution when it was first launched. This has long been fixed with a software upgrade and a new dipstick. The same engine was used in the Mazda6 which never had the issue though I don't know which used it first. I can't provide you with how the other rival's Diesel compare in terms of reliability. I've not owned or driven them.

The Mazda Diesel more often than not comes out on top in reviews. Here are some Diesel SUV comparison tests you can read for yourself. 1, 2, 3 since you can't find out yourself for the sake of curiousness. :)

The Mazda diesel only had issues back in 2012 in the CX-5 with oil dilution when it was first launched. This has long been fixed with a software upgrade and a new dipstick. The same engine was used in the Mazda6 which never had the issue though I don't know which used it first. I can't provide you with how the other rival's Diesel compare in terms of reliability. I've not owned or driven them.

The Mazda Diesel more often than not comes out on top in reviews. Here are some Diesel SUV comparison tests you can read for yourself. 1, 2, 3 since you can't find out yourself for the sake of curiousness. :)
Solid! Now if we could only get it here in the US :(

I do believe the early issues with the Mazda has been fixed with the face lift 2015 CX5 model. Note that 2015 model in NZ/AU do really mean Year 2015 unlike in the US which is one year ahead and a confusing marketing ploy.

One thing the sales person will never/seldom tell customers is that the CX5 Diesel is not suitable if you your driving is mostly short trips. It has a diesel particulate filter and on short trips there is no opporutnity for the filter to re-generate/clean itself. One will be up for expensive repair if the diesel is used for short trips long term.

... The Mazda Diesel more often than not comes out on top in reviews. Here are some Diesel SUV comparison tests you can read for yourself. 1, 2, 3 since you can't find out yourself for the sake of curiousness. :)
Thanks for the links. Always interesting to read those reviews from other regions especially with engines, transmissions, and features which are not offered in the North American market.

According to Caradvice.com.au's review, Hyundai Tucson diesel came up on top and better than Mazda CX-5 diesel where CX-5 is the best-seller compact CUVs in Australia?

Thanks for the links. Always interesting to read those reviews from other regions especially with engines, transmissions, and features which are not offered in the North American market.

According to Caradvice.com.au's review, Hyundai Tucson diesel came up on top and better than Mazda CX-5 diesel where CX-5 is the best-seller compact CUVs in Australia?

Yes in this diesel comparison, the Hyundai came out as the best overall package slightly bettering the CX-5. The Hyundai Tucson is an all new model released about 6 months ago and the suspension is specifically tuned for the local Australian roads / conditions which no doubt gives it a great advantage. Not bad that the CX-5 only narrowly loses out considering it is essentially the same car which was launched in 2012. CX-5 is still the top selling SUV month to month to date in Aus. An all new Mazda CX-5 model can't come soon enough and I'm sure fans are eagerly awaiting for it to hopefully once again set the benchmark in its class. Rumour has it the all new 2017 CX-5 may debut at the LA Motor Show later this year?

... One thing the sales person will never/seldom tell customers is that the CX5 Diesel is not suitable if you your driving is mostly short trips. It has a diesel particulate filter and on short trips there is no opporutnity for the filter to re-generate/clean itself. One will be up for expensive repair if the diesel is used for short trips long term.
The question to me is: is this the issue only applicable to Mazda SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel due to its inferior design for "regen" function, or is this the common problem for all modern diesels? Diesel particulate filter (DPF) used on modern diesels will fill up with ash and soot at some point even with "regen" clean-up feature. And the service on PDF is normally expensive like you said.

I don't know anybody, least ways like a coworker or immediate relative, who owns a Mazda. But, I feel like I'm beginning to see as many Mazdas on the road as I do Subarus. I see more than I do Mitsubishis or Volvos...

For me personally, I'll continue to buy them. I feel like they're only getting better and really coming into their own. Even by Mazda's own admission, they're goal is to remain a niche market automaker. I imagine we won't ever see them in the wild like we do Toyotas or Hondas. But, my number 5 will likely come in a couple years when my family outgrows the CX-5. That new CX-9 sure is tickling my fancy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I don't know anybody, least ways like a coworker or immediate relative, who owns a Mazda. But, I feel like I'm beginning to see as many Mazdas on the road as I do Subarus. I see more than I do Mitsubishis or Volvos...

For me personally, I'll continue to buy them. I feel like they're only getting better and really coming into their own. Even by Mazda's own admission, they're goal is to remain a niche market automaker. I imagine we won't ever see them in the wild like we do Toyotas or Hondas. But, my number 5 will likely come in a couple years when my family outgrows the CX-5. That new CX-9 sure is tickling my fancy.

I kindof think it's regional, honestly. There were NO SUBARU's where I used to live, and a TON where I do, now. Kindof like where I live now, there is a ton of Lambo/AMG/Viper, but ZERO Ferrari. Why? I dunno.

^Great point. I guess, at least most typically, North Texas weather does not necessitate AWD as an imperative feature. I wonder what region of the country Mazdas market/ sell the best.

^Great point. I guess, at least most typically, North Texas weather does not necessitate AWD as an imperative feature. I wonder what region of the country Mazdas market/ sell the best.

From posters on here, they seem super popular in urban areas that get snow.

The question to me is: is this the issue only applicable to Mazda SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel due to its inferior design for "regen" function, or is this the common problem for all modern diesels? Diesel particulate filter (DPF) used on modern diesels will fill up with ash and soot at some point even with "regen" clean-up feature. And the service on PDF is normally expensive like you said.

It is a common problem (ie. across all brands and not a Mazda only issue) with modern diesels which use particulate filters for emmision control. Frequent short trips (< 5 Kms) only will kill the emmision control system and it is an expensive fix. In AU/NZ, diesel is usually only available on the top trim/top spec version. Sales are usually wary of losing sales by telling you the truth. For frequent short trips, the petrol engine is the way to go.

Back