Help with CV Axle Install

Schwamm

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback, 1984 RX7 GSL-SE
I'm having trouble installing my drivers side CV axle. It was a pain to get out, and now I've spent the past 2 evenings trying to get it back into the transmission. The passenger side is already done, I had no trouble.

I'm following the service manuals instructions, including measuring the clip on the end and making sure the opening of it is facing upwards. I've stuck the outside end through the spindle, and then it says to push the axle into the transmission. I've tried hitting the end with a hammer to pop it in and have had tons of trouble with the end splaying and threads getting messed up, which I painstakingly fixed. Now I'm back to getting it into the transmission....

Is there something I'm missing or not doing correctly? Anyone else had this much trouble before? I searched this forum quite a bit and didn't find anything I'm not already doing. Any help is TREMENDOUSLY appreciated! I'm not exactly a mechanic, and I don't know where to go from here! Thanks!

you might have to pull the lower ball joint and pull it down/out of the way and just put the axle in the hub and shove the axle in place by swinging the whole knuckle. hitting the end of the axle with a hammer doesnt work that well to get the axle in

I appreciate the tip, I'll give that a try. However I just realized that I can't even get the axle in without the clip (old or new axle), so I'm guessing I messed something up inside the transmission...

i take it that your replacing the axle then? most likey you got the wrong one, msp axles are splined differently then regular protege trans. count your splines on the old and new, i can almost asure you that you have the wrong part

Yep, I'm replacing it. I will definitely double-check the spline count but since I can't get the old one to slide back in either I don't really think that's the problem. I'm worried I damaged the splines inside the transmission when I was trying to get it in the first time. Is this car finicky about lining up the shaft exactly straight on? It's hard to tell when it's level/straight, but I'll keep playing with it and see what I can find. Thanks!

Update: it seems I was just unlucky. Although the Advance Auto Parts axle was brand new, the right size, and looked good it just would not go in. I bought a remanufactured one from O'reilly and had it in in 15 minutes. Only problem is it doesn't have the ABS ring and the old one won't fit.... so I have to return it and find another. Guess I'll have to special order it from somewhere else

i take it that your replacing the axle then? most likey you got the wrong one, msp axles are splined differently then regular protege trans. count your splines on the old and new, i can almost asure you that you have the wrong part
WRONG. The splines are the same. The only difference is the shaft diameter, oiling grooves, and ABS ring (if a non-ABS car)
-I have a Probe transmission, Passenger side P5 axle and intermediate shaft, and drivers side MSP axle.

Last edited:
WRONG. The splines are the same. The only difference is the shaft diameter, oiling grooves, and ABS ring (if a non-ABS car)
-I have a Probe transmission, Passenger side P5 axle and intermediate shaft, and drivers side MSP axle.

I can confirm that the spline count was the same. In fact, the axle looked identical to old one to the naked eye.

Any suggestions on where to get a replacement? Autozone and O'reilly don't stock the correct one either. Napa perhaps?

Another MSP in Knoxville... haven't seen another on the road yet!

If so, Federated Auto Parts off of Lexington is where I got my OE MSP axles, but they no longer carry THAT brand. They do have a replacement brand that shows an MSP specific axle.

Yep I'm in Knoxville, but I'm pretty new to the area. It looks like I can also order one through Napa, but it would take a while. I'll give Federated a call, thanks!

Last edited:
What part of Knoxville? I'm in West Knoxville. You know UTDM?

I'm in the West Hills, very close to the mall. I haven't heard of UTDM, but google tells me it's a car club that meets under the highway by Barley's. Where can I get more info on it? It sounds cool, but my protege is more of a stock daily driver car than a show car!

Cars there aren't "show cars" or anything like it. It was somewhat exclusive to the car enthusiasts locally, but has since gained more attention and the ricers and whatnot straggle in. I've got 3 Mazdas and normally take one down. You should come tonight. I'll be in my friends MSM and he'll be in my RX8.

I'm in the West Hills, very close to the mall. I haven't heard of UTDM, but google tells me it's a car club that meets under the highway by Barley's. Where can I get more info on it? It sounds cool, but my protege is more of a stock daily driver car than a show car!
I'm off of Cedar Bluff. What color is your MSP?

I have a blue stock MSP. Unfortunately I'm headed out of town tonight, but I'd love to go another night. Is it a weekly thing?

Yeah, it's every week this year. It has, traditionally, been every other week. Laser blue MSPs are the best looking MSP. I saw one last week pulling out of West Side Honda (or that area) that I haven't seen before, I bet it was you. Do you have blue tint?

Awesome I'll probably go next week then.

I'll bet you did see my car, I have blue tint too. I drive down that way fairly often and there aren't a whole lot of blue MSPs around. I'm actually mostly color blind but I see blue very well, so I absolutely had to buy a the blue one!

Back