Full Mazdaspeed3 Suspenion Swap on Mazda5?

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
I have an opportunity to get a complete set of MS3 suspension bits for cheap. This includes the front and rear sway bars, and complete springs and shocks (~24K) with mounting hardware (top hats, boots, bump stops, etc).

Mz5 owners often talk about using MS3 REAR sway bars, but anyone used the MS3 FRONT as well? Any benefit?

I've read that MS3 springs sag a bit in the rear due to the Mz5's extra weight. I plan on getting H&R's anyway. Question is anyone use MS3 stock shocks? I believe the shocks should be interchangeable, correct? Are they the same parts as OE Mz5 shocks or are they more durable?

Next on the list would be MS3 front brake upgarde -if I can find it for cheap.

Go for it. Everything should fit, and sway bars should a nice addition - both front and rear.

Yes, the MS3 springs will make your rear end saggy. Use the H&Rs.
m.

From what I've read in the M3 forums the the MS3 shocks are the same size but stiffer than the M3. Mazda5 and Mazda3 has the same part no. I'm not sure about the MS3 but they say its stiffer than M3 oem. Even Koni has different P/N for the 5 and MS3. So go for it. Before you install the fsb get down in there and do some measurements make sure the MS3 is bigger than stock.

Last edited:
Yay! My new bounty. Now for some ES bushings and find time to install the sway bars. (rei)

I am prob going to relist the springs and shocks (without hardware – will be reusing) for sale as I am looking for H&R and still not sure what shocks to pair it with. Anyone interested in buying the springs/shocks (don't want to separate) before I post them in the Mz3 forum? Will also trade for a Thule low profile roof rack (not interested in others) :)

Parts came off a 2007 MS3 with ~24K and are in very good shape. No leaks in the shocks from what I can see. PO upgraded to KWv3s ($$$) and Cobb sways (where’s the envy/jealous emoticon?). He also owns 3 cars/truck, 3 bikes, and lives on Mansion Drive (where’s the double envy/jealous emoticon?). Needless to say, he took really good care of his toys.

do everything but the springs, and get some H&R's or Megan Racing springs. it will make for a great handling setup on the 5.

Hey, give us all something to drool over: give us a video of the car's handling before and after.

Go with Koni yellows.
I would like to but just can't justify the cost for that build. H&R springs + Koni yellows (or Bilstein) will come out to nearly ~1000, treading on full coilover setup. Mz3 H&R full coilover, which uses Bilstein shocks, are ~1200. Good thing about coilovers are 1) you can get different spring rates so a slightly heavier set for the rear will help to balance it out a Mz5 or play with different spring rates, 2) you are getting a matched pair of springs/shocks (not enough can be said about this), and 3) height adjustable -which I don't really care for. The Mz5 will be a family car first so I don’t want to spend too much on suspension setup. If only Tokico made the HP line available, that would be my ideal balance to go with H&Rs springs. I'm looking to pay ~800 max for the setup (new or used).

Side note: found this thread about using MS3 FSB on a Mz3 and it looks very positive. I hope for the same results on the Mz5. Maybe I won’t need springs and shocks since my main complaint right now is body roll and the crappy OE tires with very little thread/traction left. However, I do want to lower the stance but don’t want to pay a premium for that. http://www.mazda3 forums.com/index.php?topic=116405.0

Last edited:
I understand the upside to a set of coilovers, but there's definitely something to be said for a nice strut/spring setup. Unless you are cornerweighting or looking for damping adjustment, you won't see any benefit to a coilover setup, not to mention how most of the coilovers look after a winter or two.

the H&R and Bilstein (especially Bilstein Sport) combo is easily as good of a daily driving/occasional track day setup as any coilover, and better than most budget coilovers, as long as you're content with the ride height.

Back