Advice needed on Limited Warranty for recently bought 2019 CX-5

vdog

2019 CX-5 GT Premium
Update: May 19th
I got BMW dealership to cover repairs through limited warranty and dealership covering other non-warranty repairs. I was thankful for this! Mazda will be doing the repairs. If it's not from the dealership (Mazda) always get an inspection done.

Hey Folks breaking down context here. I did not buy a warranty it came with the car. It is a limited warranty with the attachments included.

2019 Mazda Cx5 GT - 60 days or 3000 miles warranty
I bought this car from a BMW dealership that had done a 125 inspection and found no issues.

However, I did a follow up inspection with Mazda with a close to Certified pre-owned inspection.
This found numerous things to replace and get done. Mainly the drive belt has 3 cracks in it that should be addressed, I have initiated a discussion between Mazda inspection and BMW service manager to see what can be done for the limited warranty as I am surprised that it passed their inspection.

The work order has been attached in regard to what needs to be done. The air filter and front wipers I obviously can replace. But I believe the drive belt and timing cover seepage should be included in warranty. Any thoughts on how to get them to be under warranty?

Attachments

• IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1165.PNG
    IMG_1165.PNG
    29.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Is the car still under Powertrain warranty? That's 5yr/60,000 miles.

How many miles? I'd be surprised to see a drive belt crack that early.

Not sure but Powertrain (if still in force) should cover the timing cover. Check with Mazda.

The car has 53k miles on it. I don't believe there is any warranty that would cover it currently as it was brought to BMW dealership. There is potential for manufacturer warranty, but I am not sure about this as they only presented me with limited warranty.

Powertrain warranty coverage of Mazda is 5yr/60k miles.
That should cover the timing chain cover seepage.
It does not matter where you bought your CX5 from. The warranty is transferrable.

Belt/tensioner: Do you see the tensioner leaking? If not, cracked belt is nothing to act right away. If you have to replace the tensioner, do the belt also.

Rear shocks: cannot comment on that. Previous owner might have run into some incident.

Wiper/filter: DIY of course.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info @ceric!

Here was the video breakdown of the car inspection for any further advice you may have. There were no reported incidents and had a single owner on carfax. I will be contacting mazda in regard to the warranty as they did not say anything when the inspection was done.

Attachments

• nc_e81f4d94-7abc-450d-9758-9ff582496977.mov
    46.7 MB
What was the original sales date to the first owner? If it's less than five years I'd consider taking it to a Mazda dealer and presenting it as a Mazda warranty claim. If it's more than five years then you're at the bargaining stage with the BMW dealer. Can you still return the car to the BMW dealer under your state's consumer protection laws? That's usually just a few days so I'm assuming not.

The car has 53k miles on it. I don't believe there is any warranty that would cover it currently as it was brought to BMW dealership. There is potential for manufacturer warranty, but I am not sure about this as they only presented me with limited warranty.
Doesn't matter where it was bought. If original purchase date was later than today it's still under Powertrain warranty. Take it to Mazda asap and have them check and see if it's still under warranty.
They can pull it up on a computer and see. You might be able to call & give them your VIN.

Try checking the MazdaUSA owners site.

Yep, in my experience that "multi-point inspection" is usually a lot of nonsense, even some CPO vehicles don't get good enough scrutiny.

So I just read your warranty, and you're kind of screwed unless they decide to help you out. That warranty only covers "failures." Neither of these components have failed yet. Otherwise you've assumed the risk of all repairs in writing.

That consumer protection page is very informative. It tells you that you should get your car inspected by your own mechanic BEFORE you buy it, because after you buy it it's your problem unless they either try to sell it to you as-is or not honor the warranty they offer you. In your case the warranty you have is clear -- if anything fails in the warranty period, they'll fix it. But again you've identified maintenance items that threaten to fail later and haven't failed yet.

Having said that, if you can get someone at Mazda to say that these are failed, not failing parts -- meaning they are no longer operating as designed and require immediate replacement -- then you can argue the warranty requirements are met. But warranty companies like the one who issued that policy are experts at not paying people. It's literally their job.

Good luck and keep fighting, but set your expectations low. This is the unfortunate consequence of buying a used car without getting your own inspection. I made the same mistake you did once, and never will again.

In addition to the advice already provided, I'll just mention that as a last resort, even if the car is just out of warranty, it won't hurt to contact Mazda Corporate and speak to them about your issues. They may be able to assist in facilitating a goodwill repair at the Mazda dealership. You'll never know until you ask.

As said above, this shows the importance of getting your own PPI done to identify issues. They may have done it for you had you brought it up prior to purchase.

Hey Folks breaking down context here. I did not buy a warranty it came with the car. It is a limited warranty with the attachments included.

2019 Mazda Cx5 GT - 60 days or 3000 miles warranty
I bought this car from a BMW dealership that had done a 125 inspection and found no issues.

However, I did a follow up inspection with Mazda with a close to Certified pre-owned inspection.
This found numerous things to replace and get done. Mainly the drive belt has 3 cracks in it that should be addressed, I have initiated a discussion between Mazda inspection and BMW service manager to see what can be done for the limited warranty as I am surprised that it passed their inspection.

The work order has been attached in regard to what needs to be done. The air filter and front wipers I obviously can replace. But I believe the drive belt and timing cover seepage should be included in warranty. Any thoughts on how to get them to be under warranty?
As @hoopics explained previously, you may have a hard time to get warranty coverage from BMW dealer on problems mentioned although you should still try. As for Mazda’s powertrain warranty unfortunately yours is just one month over. The powertrain warranty won’t cover the serpentine belt and tensioner (consider them wear-out items), but it does cover timing chain cover oil seepage. But Mazda has been pretty reluctant in giving warranty repair on oil seepage and even leakage unless the oil is dripping down to the floor based on recent reports here. In addition, the timing chain cover oil leak is caused by Mazda’s unique 2-piece cylinder block design where it’s easy to leak from timing chain cover which covers entire 2-piece block front. The repair job is tedious based on the TSB issued for the problem, and many times the oil seepage is still there after the repair. You can still try to contact MNAO for timing chain seepage problem at 53K miles, but don’t put too much hope on it as MNAO is pretty tight to give away out of warranty help nowadays.

Among the problems mentioned by the Mazda dealer I actually feel they’re pretty normal for a 5-year-old CX-5 with 53K miles. It’s fairly common to see some oil seepage around timing chain cover on your 2.5L due to the cylinder block design. Unless it’s a severe oil leakage you shouldn’t bother to fix it except it can be covered under warranty. The OEM rear shocks are very expensive nowadays (the price for a pair of OEM rear shocks for my 2016 CX-5 is more than doubled in past 2+ years!). You can get your rear shocks replaced with much cheaper aftermarket shocks since your 2019 Mazda CX5 can get problematic rear shock top mount separately from Mazda if needed which isn’t included in aftermarket shocks. But I really doubt you need a set of new rear shocks at 53K miles, unless they have obvious oil leak (not seepage) as described in the related TSB.

The oil leak on belt tensioner is very common for Mazda CX-5 too. Mine leaked at 42K miles. You can replace serpentine belt and water pump stretch belt when you put a new belt tensioner on. You can DIY for this job but make sure to get OEM water pump stretch belt or you’ll have a very difficult time to put an aftermarket stretch belt on (Gates and more) as they’re a bit too small.

IMO more important issues on your 2019 Mazda CX-5 GT is your engine and transmission. Your 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation comes with modified cylinder head and lock-up clutch in torque converter from original SkyActiv-G 2.5L and 6-speed auto to accommodate added cylinder deactivation since 2018 CX-5. The head could crack due to a 2-mm thin wall at the cracked area. The ATF is easily to get contaminated by the iron powder due to the excessive wear by single lock-up clutch.

2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

Cracked Block (2018 CX-5)

2017~2024 CX-5 Chirp Noise from Automatic Transaxle on 3-4 upshift - Bulletin 05-005/23

Last edited:
To OP,
Timing chain cover seepage is nothing to act on right now either, unless you see oil on the ground.
Dealer has told me about the same issue with my '14 Mazda3 2-3 yrs ago. I have not seen oil on the floor, nor oil level drop. No need to jump on it. It is just a seepage. Of course, it is your call or no charge to you.

My dealer told me that they could help me fix it for $1700. To that, I refused.
They said, the engine needs to be lifted up ... etc. You get the picture.

IMO more important issues on your 2019 Mazda CX-5 GT is your engine and transmission. Your 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation comes with modified cylinder head and lock-up clutch in torque converter from original SkyActiv-G 2.5L and 6-speed auto to accommodate added cylinder deactivation since 2018 CX-5. The head could crack due to a 2-mm thin wall at the cracked area. The ATF is easily to get contaminated by the iron powder due to the excessive wear by single lock-up clutch.
What should I exactly check? I believe there were no issues with the engine other than the drive belt.

To OP,
Timing chain cover seepage is nothing to act on right now either, unless you see oil on the ground.
Dealer has told me about the same issue with my '14 Mazda3 2-3 yrs ago. I have not seen oil on the floor, nor oil level drop. No need to jump on it. It is just a seepage. Of course, it is your call or no charge to you.

My dealer told me that they could help me fix it for $1700. To that, I refused.
They said, the engine needs to be lifted up ... etc. You get the picture.
Thank you for all the advice everyone! I do agree, I should've got this inspected, I just trusted the dealership and the price I got the vehicle was good for all the features it had.

Personally, the car itself is mainly for point a to point b car for now as I have not taken it for a long distance / road trip. I believe the drive belt is my main concern with the cracks (most likely wont be a warranty cover since it is wear and tear) but would like to get that fixed regardless.

I don't have many expectations but do plan to file a consumer action in state of WA against them as this car can become a "lemon" car based on what was found.

Update I was able to get all parts and labor costs covered either via warranty or goodwill repair.

I am grateful as I was worried, I would be down quite a lot on a car that I just recently bought.
1716074881879.png

I am still interested if I should ask the mechanic to check anything else in regards to potential issues that could be fixed during warranty period still.

Who is covering the repairs? Mazda or BMW?
If Mazda I wouldn't press my luck since you're out of warranty.

Mazda is doing the repairs and BMW is paying as I am still under limited warranty. They seem to be repairing all items that were noted in the certified inspection report done by Mazda shown in my original post.

Mazda is doing the repairs and BMW is paying as I am still under limited warranty. They seem to be repairing all items that were noted in the certified inspection report done by Mazda shown in my original post.
That's a great outcome. It's probably the limited warranty company paying some, and the BMW dealership paying some. I wouldn't push your luck on anything else. I'm genuinely surprised you got as much as you did. That's an upstanding BMW dealer right there.

Back