Flav's Mazda Protege5

Okay, for the sake of my sanity. Could someone point me in the right direction for some front brakes? I can't remember what the crowd favorite was. I wanna say its the hawkpad's and just OEM brembo disks, but I'm not 100% sure. Was also thinking of maybe doing the Mazda6 upgrade in the front.. but I heard it's not really all that worth doing on our car's. Let me know your preferences :)

Here's the best looking kit I could find. IMO

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

yea i believe you're right on the brembo blanks and hawk hps pads. IMO the mazda6 front caliper upgrade is worth it, i'm very happy I swapped my stock calipers out. It's much cheaper to buy some used mazda6 calipers and a rebuild kit. As for the link you posted I'd stay away from any off brand drilled rotors. Every set i've seen from places like ebay have eventually had a bunch of hairline cracks around the drilled holes due them being manufactured incorrectly. they're also more prone to warping due to cheaper materials. you may also want to look into stainless braided lines since you'll be taking everything apart.

Looking to change my head gasket/timing belt within the next few weeks when I get some free time. Anyone have any tips or tricks for when I do this?
I haven't done this before personally myself...but I will be working with a friend of mine who is very mechanically inclined.. but I would like to know a thing or two before going in on this job with him so I don't look like a 100% noob ;)

I was also thinking while I have most of the engine apart for that job I was considering changing out the cams for something with a little more, power.
Any recommendations? Also Is it possible to only have say for example: just the intake cam changed out for something other then stock? Or would I have to change out both?

Also, Rico if you are reading this..you bastard...you beat me to that intake cam that was for sale -.- lol!

you're in luck i noticed earlier rico has his car FS, you should be able to get that cam now.

yea i believe you're right on the brembo blanks and hawk hps pads. IMO the mazda6 front caliper upgrade is worth it, i'm very happy I swapped my stock calipers out. It's much cheaper to buy some used mazda6 calipers and a rebuild kit. As for the link you posted I'd stay away from any off brand drilled rotors. Every set i've seen from places like ebay have eventually had a bunch of hairline cracks around the drilled holes due them being manufactured incorrectly. they're also more prone to warping due to cheaper materials. you may also want to look into stainless braided lines since you'll be taking everything apart.

Thanks for the tip on the off brand. I personally don't really want drilled rotors for that exact reason.

As for the mazda6 upgrade.. few things that are holding me back would be.

1. someone (can't remember who yet..) was talking about the added weight that that kit isn't so great.
2. if i upgrade to that set, i'll have to get different winter tires/rims (i have 15's for winter)
3. Idk I just felt there should be a point 3

Thanks for the tip on the off brand. I personally don't really want drilled rotors for that exact reason.

As for the mazda6 upgrade.. few things that are holding me back would be.

1. someone (can't remember who yet..) was talking about the added weight that that kit isn't so great.
2. if i upgrade to that set, i'll have to get different winter tires/rims (i have 15's for winter)
3. Idk I just felt there should be a point 3

those are good points. i keep forgetting you guys up north have 2 sets of wheels for the winter/summer. best bet would be to see if anyone in your area has done the mod and try it for your self. then again the stock brake system isnt bad at all and you could always use the money for a better mod :D

I wouldnt worry too much bout rico beating u to the cam... with his track record he'd be selling it again soon anyways lol j/k rico
Fu lol jk jk
And yeah cuz I always talk to you cam so only nice I give you first dibs lol

Alright, finally got myself the correct valve cover to do the 1.8 swap. But since it's about 1000 degrees out. I think I'll wait to start that project another day..

Alright, finally got myself the correct valve cover to do the 1.8 swap. But since it's about 1000 degrees out. I think I'll wait to start that project another day..

Pansy :) i dealt with that heat already this month and still did everything i wanted to do outside including polish/buff 3 cars. (out of the sun under a portable shade)

Glad to see you found the proper valve cover.

Pansy :) i dealt with that heat already this month and still did everything i wanted to do outside including polish/buff 3 cars. (out of the sun under a portable shade)

Glad to see you found the proper valve cover.

Haha yeah.. I decided to bite the bullet and just finish it yesterday since I was getting impatient.
Havent painted the cover yet, just wanted to fit everything in and hide as many wires as possible.

Ill be out of town today and tomorrow but hopefully sunday I can post a picture of where its at now.

Here's the final (well..not, final final) 1.8 conversion product. Still need to paint the valve cover, and figure out where I'm going to put the wires..want to keep it as clean as possible/functional as possible? Not sure of my wire color decision though..

w5xfF42.jpg

Interior shot feat. Working foot lights finally! (One of my first "mods" and I did a s*** job of it..finally ripped it out and did it properly..)

DqZzvoX.jpg

And found this pretty spot while I was out of town :) That's the broke as city of Detroit behind me..Doesn't look too bad from across the river :p

SXr3Wpe.jpg

w5xfF42.jpg

simple tricks and tips. the wire loom you now have running above the fuel rail for the injectors is long enough to go under the manifold and you can reach the injectors from between the runners. the 2 wires that now run along the top of the VC can be tucked down the side near the motor mount and to the sensors without cutting it either.

this can be easily done and youll have the wires hidden like i did.

GOPR0203.jpg

any questions just let me know, I've redone mine more than a few times now and you have a great start so far.

^ Big thanks Bikingpro (JT? CJ? DJ?) I'll probably tackle the wire tucking this week when I have some time off.

Latest posts

Back