Laser Blue Protege5 Build

Coredawg

95 Miata, 08 MS3, 03 MP5
:
Utah
:
95 Miata, 08 MS3, 03 MP5
After a few months of contemplating what I should get to daily and mess around with, I finally settled on a P5. Searching the internet led to only a small array of them for sale around the country, and I settled on this one in the Tacoma, WA area. One owner since 2003 and only 145K on the clock when I purchased in June this year. Since then, I have been slowly working on wear and tear issues and starting some modification. Front catalytic converter needed to be replaced along with fuel pressure regulator and vacuum solenoid for the VCTS, but otherwise, car has been running really good for 20 years old. I replaced the destroyed foglights with aftermarket LEDs, have changed plugs, wires, as well as dash lights to LED. Also replaced the probably original trans fluid with Motocraft XT-M5-QS (huge difference is shift smothness!) The touch screen, Android Auto head unit was already in place along with upgraded sound system from the factory (A- pillar tweeters and spare tire sub in back). New belts, Wipers and headlight bulbs, along with tint and a backup cam, round out things so far.

My goal? I want to convert to turbo using the MSP parts. I am going to start acquiring what I need and maybe even a second engine to build for it over time. Then I have to figure out how to make it legal in my area (northern Utah), so I can pass emissions. There are some places around the country that will sell a MSP ecu and can flash my VIN onto it, but not sure if the emissions database here is smart enough to know this car never came boosted. Anyways, still to figure out how to accomplish. Until then, I will continue to enjoy and upgrade the car.

Attachments

• 20231228_153053.jpg
    20231228_153053.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20231228_153108.jpg
    20231228_153108.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20231228_153316.jpg
    20231228_153316.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20231228_153135.jpg
    20231228_153135.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
hey, someone else from utah! i’m boosting my car and im not sure how im gonna pass emmisions but i might just swap back to na before inspection, i have an automatic and im not going to touch the ecu, and i don’t think you’d need to either, rising rate fuel pressure regulator and an 02 clamp should be all you need for anything under 10 psi, that’s the route im going.

its super clean! you don’t see a lot of protégés here.

besides @jadycr and my P5 , I have seen only one other P5 in Northern UT so far. Not many around.

Installed switchback LEDs in the front turn signals last weekend. Will get pictures soon. Also, something that may help others. I was cleaning the MAF and throttle body a month ago and when I had the intake tube off, I found it was split in two places in the accordion section. It wasn't apparent while in place, I only noticed it when I took it off. Engine was sucking extra air after the MAF and affecting MPGs. New one on Amazon was only $24 and matches OEM exactly. Check yours closely.

Attachments

• 20240104_160620.jpg
    20240104_160620.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240104_160631.jpg
    20240104_160631.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240104_160514.jpg
    20240104_160514.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 37
mine was split too! i got some pieces of home depot rubber 90 degree elbows and toilet pipe. it’s a terrifying setup but it hasn’t failed me yet. duct tape goes a long ways.

So, I learned some more today about the P5. I have finished the rear lights, installing LEDs in all locations, including the license plate lights. I found some anti-hyperflash amber 7440s for the turn signals and they work just fine. I did put switchbacks up front, and added the resistors there before realizing i could get anti- hyperflash switchbacks. I will change them again at a later date. Back to the rear. I got nice bright red 7440s for the brakes, and they work just fine. Little did I know I would need a resistor on those as well, not for hyperflashing, but to allow the cruise control to work. I guess it takes some resistance in the brake light circuit, from a filament bulb, for the cruise control computer to function correctly. Since I already had those bulbs on hand from my Miata a few years ago, I simply put them in. Now I will have to source some red anti-hyperflash LEDs for the rear brake lights as I don't want to wire resistors in back there. I have resistors, but I like the installation to be as clean as possible.

BTW, I have acquired 2 P5 ECUs. I don't know the specific year of each, so if someone can tell me how to decipher them, I can figure out their specifics and have them available for someone who may need them. Also, if anyone is looking, I have 4 center caps. 3 are really good, 1 is marred up a little.

Attachments

• ECUs and Center Caps.jpg
    ECUs and Center Caps.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 24
  • ECU2.jpg
    ECU2.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 25
  • ECU1.jpg
    ECU1.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 26
My blower motor had started to vibrate and I couldn't run it over 2 without it getting really loud. Took it out and found a bunch of pine needles. I have been digging these out from the cowl and inner fenders and still keep running into them. Since the car came from Washington state I suspect it sat under pine trees a lot. Going to pull the inner fenders fully in a couple weeks and ensure I get everything out. Still amazed at the condition of this car and want to only make it better. Cleaned the fan out and works like new again.

Attachments

• 20240210_142326.jpg
    20240210_142326.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 21
I am having trouble when fueling of not being able to fully flow the gas nozzle. Cuts off when I do that, so I have to hold the lever at less than halfway to fill the car. Thus it takes much longer to get gas than it normally should. I attribute it to the tank vent being blocked and will be taking off the canister and vent valve from the tank and cleaning them out if I can. Anyone else experience this type of symptom?

Damn, been a while since I've seen a pristine P5, keep it up

Besides a few dings and some deteriorating clearcoat, this thing is nearly 100% original, with 148,850 miles in it. The stereo has been swapped out for an Android Auto touchscreen Pioneer head unit, and the few things I have upgraded, but otherwise bone stock. I am actually only the 2nd owner of the car. Folks I got it from bought it in 2003. This is the day I got home driving it from Tacoma.

Attachments

• 20230701_163917.jpg
    20230701_163917.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
BTW, I can't say enough about the Motocraft MT-Q5-MS oil and what it has done for my shifting. Shifts are so smooth and easy now, even in 20 degree morning drives to work. It was about $75 for to fill up the trans, but worlds different in driveability.

Finally for today, if anyone knows a source for a stock roof rack for the P5, I would appreciate it. Mine just feels like should have it on there.

Next upgrade finished today. Very quick install of wiper stalk from 01 MPV to give my P5 variable intermittent wipers. 10 minutes and works perfect.

Attachments

• 20240426_184427.jpg
    20240426_184427.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2
Back