---> *EVERYTHING* ECU fix/comments/thoughts

It's on the passenger side strut tower.

/members/122 Vega/p1010513.jpg

Britt

Another Dealer to add in CA... did mine today...the car is much better now.
The dealer is Valley Mazda in San Luis Obispo
805 544-6770

CarlM2 said:
As of today, Millenium Mazda in Durham, NC claims that the update is not available to them. They claim to have tried to find it but, it wasn't where they looked. Oh well. Maybe one day.

Go to Capital of Cary over in Cary, They are downloading the file tonight. (919) 859-2000

Hi Craig!

I'm not copying anyone else on this message, because I saw how you got
scooped on the forum last time! It probably doesn't matter though,
because you have likely heard already that we have the reflash
available at dealerships. We e-mailed instructions to all our dealers
Wednesday (Sept. 10) to enable them to download the new calibration and
begin reflashing PCMs to address your concern. Knowing how fast the
word gets around, I would be surprised if you don't already have an
appointment to get yours done by now. But don't be surprised if not
everyone at every dealership knows all about this right away. It
sometimes takes a while for the info to filter down to every Service
Advisor and Technician in the country. Hope you like the enhancement.

Regarding your question about the "clunk" issue, I can tell you that we
have developed a countermeasure bushing that is currently being tested
for durability, and we hope to have new parts available by year-end.

Take care, and thanks again for your support and enthusiasm for Mazda.

Scott Slade
Manager, Customer Assistance Center
Mazda North American Operations

Last edited:
This is actually my first post. If everything goes well I will be taking ownership of my Titanium Mazdaspeed this coming Monday, I already put a deposit on it yesterday. I was curious about this flash, since I am new to the forum I haven't heard about this. What is actually the reason for needing the flash and since my car will be new off the lot should I get the flash right away or wait for whatever reason.

Please help...:D

Thanks Everyone,

Rudi

MENLO MAZDA

Menlo Mazda in Redwood City.
Ask for Charlie
He said he will have the reflash on Wednesday.

Menlo Mazda
Redwood City, CA
650-366-7400
--A

boostisgood said:

Hi Craig!

I'm not copying anyone else on this message, because I saw how you got
scooped on the forum last time! It probably doesn't matter though,
because you have likely heard already that we have the reflash
available at dealerships. We e-mailed instructions to all our dealers
Wednesday (Sept. 10) to enable them to download the new calibration and
begin reflashing PCMs to address your concern. Knowing how fast the
word gets around, I would be surprised if you don't already have an
appointment to get yours done by now. But don't be surprised if not
everyone at every dealership knows all about this right away. It
sometimes takes a while for the info to filter down to every Service
Advisor and Technician in the country. Hope you like the enhancement.

Regarding your question about the "clunk" issue, I can tell you that we
have developed a countermeasure bushing that is currently being tested
for durability, and we hope to have new parts available by year-end.

Take care, and thanks again for your support and enthusiasm for Mazda.

Scott Slade
Manager, Customer Assistance Center
Mazda North American Operations

First the ECU problem, and now the clunk You better watch it Boost, people are going to start looking at you like you are the Mazda Messiah and s***! There will be cults, and sacrifices (see dr. sound), and people lining up for miles to have you to lay your hand on their Mazda woes and shout HEALED! (thumb)

Re: nUT SUCKAge

yashooa said:
I hate this ******* flash so far...
I never really had the hesitation but I wanted to get some more around town type of power out of it so far it just plain sucks.
My car feels about 1/2 as fast as it was at 12 PSI pre flash.
I HATE IT!
And get this I went in with my Joe MBC and not a word was said at all about it or my boost gauge. However, my car is running 8PSI now hmmm I wonder how that happened.
On the ticket it says verified hesitation through test drive. No TSB was found called tech line and was given new PCM update. Updated PCM and then drove to verify fix.
So he actually lowered my boost on one of the drives.
Which all in all was a damn cool thing to do but man I was used to VRRRROOOM SLAM 2CND VRRROOOM SLAM 3RD VRRRROOOM SLAM 4TH etc.
Now it's smooth as silk I mean smoooth but man it is boring.
10PSI here I come. I guess I will have to readjust my MBC some and maybe this PCM will learn.

I am a little scared of this flash for just that very reason. I am at 10psi now with spikes to 11.5psi. Its not smooth at all on warm days, but man does it rock on cool days! Moving the boost down to 9-10psi doesn't seem like that big of a drop, & when u add that on top of the PCM WHP gain you would think it would be like pre-flash 12psi. I hope so, but in reality it would have to be set at around 7.5psi to keep those spikes below 9psi... So I actualy think that it would be worse for those who were boosting 10psi or more... Smoother/slower <----or----> tempermental/more power.... I just dont know yet.

Yashooa, Let us know how it does once u up the boost to 10psi.

Not sure what you mean by slower....with all that mid range torque increase, I would think you would be going faster. Maybe you dont feel that you are since its smooth and not kicking you back in the seat when it hits 5k rpm. Ill take the midrange torque any day, over the horrible hestitation and blast off at 5k. Keep the old flash, and Ill gain a few car lengths on you while you get up to 5k to get your power :D

-Six

Boostisgood: Nice work yet again. I bow to your abilities. (bowdown) Luckily, I haven't heard the clunk... until this morning. Will probably hear it more often. Guess I'm still used to the very loud MX-6 of mine. Still getting the hang of a NEW car.

Keep up the good work and if you're ever north, the drinks are on me. (friday).

-Roach

I thought that at first too, like where's the turbo? But it is just so much smoother that it doesn't have that big surge at 5000. That wasn't boost anyways, since the turbo was already spooled up.

Britt

See mods list below....

I'm loving the flash

noticeably more powerful

don't see any roadblocks for me in my upgrading but then again I'm not putting all my chips on an MBC

Basic rule of thumb: If you don't rely or don't plan to rely on an MBC for all your power then you're ok.

Just be aware once you mod your car out enough you're gonna need an ECU reprogram or Power FC regardless of the car.

122 Vega said:
I thought that at first too, like where's the turbo? But it is just so much smoother that it doesn't have that big surge at 5000. That wasn't boost anyways, since the turbo was already spooled up.

Britt

I didnt notice it too much at first..... when i put my injen CAI back on I noticed it a lot more.

On the otherhand I'm not paying too much attention to the turbo as I'm simply blown away how fast my 0-60 time is now!

anyone know how long it takes the dealer to flash the ecu? i'm saying that if i were to drop it off, how long would the entire process take. would i be asked to leave my car there for the day?

also, my dealer keeps insisting that i can't just get this ecu flash without them diagnosing my car. is there any way i can just tell them, "i want my ecu flashed." and that's it? i've been to 2 dealerships already and they're both giving me crap. i left my car a whole afternoon at a smaller mazda dealership because they said it'd get done that day but ended up telling me that they didn't find any hesitation/stumbling with the car so they didn't do anything, but wash it. i was so....blah!@#

krillin said:
anyone know how long it takes the dealer to flash the ecu? i'm saying that if i were to drop it off, how long would the entire process take. would i be asked to leave my car there for the day?

also, my dealer keeps insisting that i can't just get this ecu flash without them diagnosing my car. is there any way i can just tell them, "i want my ecu flashed." and that's it? i've been to 2 dealerships already and they're both giving me crap. i left my car a whole afternoon at a smaller mazda dealership because they said it'd get done that day but ended up telling me that they didn't find any hesitation/stumbling with the car so they didn't do anything, but wash it. i was so....blah!@#

They said that to me but the whole conversation after the phone call was, "Yeah we have it, give me your keys, we will get it done."
He drove it two times before the flash and two times after the flash.
It was a total time of 1hr 10 minutes very quick and just badda boom badda bing done.
Heck I never even thought I had the hesitation but on the ticket it says,"Verified hestiation during acceleration on test drive."
LOL So I guess it was there.

Last edited:
122 Vega said:

Britt
exactly. a ball bearing turbo this small should spool up really quickly to 6psi or even 8, so you shouldn't really notice the surge. also the fairly high compression ratio should make decent power off boost, so you will not notice the switch much. if you want the lag, get a bigger turbo, just make sure your engine is ready for it.

Well to all you naysayers out there: I got the flash yesterday and I am so happy. I have what feels like huge gains in power and torque and my horrible hesitation problem is completely gone - Car hauls ass and Mazda is back in my good graces. I just got my car about two weeks ago so it is still pure stock but I was extremely impressed with my overall performance last night after I picked her up from the shop....good luck to all those out there waiting on the fix - hope you get the results I did.

Back