Drive to an Address not available while MOVING? ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME?

Am I the only one that thinks that this is actually a good safety feature? I mean, yeah it stinks not being able to complete an address or whatever during the transition from stop/start but in the grand scheme of things I'd rather have it lock out and let me focus on driving. I feel a little better knowing that this exists in cars rather than having a bunch of directionally challenged folks trying to type and drive at the same time.

Am I the only one that thinks that this is actually a good safety feature? I mean, yeah it stinks not being able to complete an address or whatever during the transition from stop/start but in the grand scheme of things I'd rather have it lock out and let me focus on driving. I feel a little better knowing that this exists in cars rather than having a bunch of directionally challenged folks trying to type and drive at the same time.

If it didn't delete what I was doing to the point, then I would be ok. The problem is, you could be 90% complete with address entry, safety lock engages and everything is deleted. If it saved it until the next stop, that would be ok

Neighbors brand new avalon doesn't let you set the nav while moving either. Seems to be a trend. Thank God my German made BMW doesn't care if I hit a tree going 140mph while setting the nav! Of course voice works as well so not an issue.

This is a US Federal Regulation Recommendation moving towards a requirement that a driver not be distracted entering information into a GPS/Auto system. It could be implemented a lot better by TomTom/Mazda to retain your data until you stop again and even allow data entry if a passenger is present. Just wait until the cell phone guys are required by big brother to do the same....

The problem is that it isn't limited to just speaking addresses. For example, here's something I experienced today:

(press voice button)
"Navigation"
(wait for it to switch to tomtom and then tomtom to prompt me)
"Drive to home"
(tomtom then prompts me to confirm I want to navigate to home)
"yes"
... oh, wait - safety lockout just engaged. So much for my navigation...

Here's the irony: While I can't use voice prompts to navigate to home, I can (while moving) tap the screen to navigate to a recent destination, scroll though that list, and select anything I've previously navigated to... and confirm it. All while staring at and tapping the screen... while moving.

Which is safer?

Anyway, the safety lockout impacting voice commands is/was apparently an oversight and is supposedly going to be corrected in the next tomtom firmware update. (Or so I've read on the tomtom forums...)

Take care
Gary

Mgambi...what about a headunit based on android...with all the capabilities and features...included those to change settings for wipers/lights/doors?
Rad my "just a dream" titled forum.

I think you are being a bit harsh with you comments.

Isn't that the way of the internet anymore and especially this site?

I can't think of the last thread that had a calm discussion of strengths and weaknesses of the car. They tend to all go"

"this is the dumbest thing ever!"

"no, you are the dumbest thing ever!"

and then just go downhill from there.

Somewhere in all the posts in this thread the more common sense "fine, lock it out when in motion but store the info for the next time I'm stopped" came out.

I also think the more expensive/complex option of one of those screens that can actually show different images at different angles would be great. Then the passenger (if there is one) could enter information while the car is moving but the driver couldn't because they wouldn't see it.

To me the entertainment is of secondary importance when buying a car, the primary concern is how the car drives and its predicted reliability.

An unfortunate side effect of all cars getting better in both driving dynamics and reliability is the other features gain in importance. Especially ones that are used quite often.

Back