Drive to an Address not available while MOVING? ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME?

Mogambi

:
2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD
This Mazda / Tom Tom stereo is literally the worst P.O.S. I have ever encountered in a car. Forgot that the iPod takes minutes to scan, that it can't resume playback, that switching to FM and then back to iPod greats you with a blank screen.

Forgot that the FM reception is as bad as I've ever seen (stations that came in 100% clear on my Hyundai are staticy beyond use on the CX-5

Forgot that the TomTom navigation system is laggy beyond any $50 GPS I've seen, that aside from voice recognition for an address, it is basically 95% inaccurate on anything else.

But today realized, while 'moving' you cannot even use voice command to enter an address? That is the POINT of voice command, so I can safely enter an address while moving and not having to TYPE!

Seriously Mazda, congrats, you have literally made the worst stereo / navigation implementation in the world.

What a joke.

I'm seeing a real pattern in your posts, Mogambi. It seems you hate nearly everything about this car, except for the way it drives. You hate the interior, the radio, the navigation. It brings to mind what seems to be a very reasonable question. Did you actually get into the car before you bought it? Did you drive it? Listen to the radio? Try the navigation? It seems to me a 20 minute test drive could have saved you thirty thousand dollars. I don't want to be a jerk to you if you are legitimately unhappy, but this is starting to get a bit ridiculous. If you are just trolling in here, go find somewhere else.

If you really like the way it drives, and you decide you can stomach the interior, then my advice to you is to pay $1200 and get an aftermarket radio/nav system installed and get the rest of your moneys worth out of the car. Otherwise sell it/return it/trade it in and do yourself a favor.

This Mazda / Tom Tom stereo is literally the worst P.O.S. I have ever encountered in a car. Forgot that the iPod takes minutes to scan, that it can't resume playback, that switching to FM and then back to iPod greats you with a blank screen.

Forgot that the FM reception is as bad as I've ever seen (stations that came in 100% clear on my Hyundai are staticy beyond use on the CX-5

Forgot that the TomTom navigation system is laggy beyond any $50 GPS I've seen, that aside from voice recognition for an address, it is basically 95% inaccurate on anything else.

But today realized, while 'moving' you cannot even use voice command to enter an address? That is the POINT of voice command, so I can safely enter an address while moving and not having to TYPE!

Seriously Mazda, congrats, you have literally made the worst stereo / navigation implementation in the world.

What a joke.

As much as I agree with you on the Mazda / TomTom being a POS, you can enter an address with voice while driving. I have done it a number of times and it usually works with about 75% accuracy. I usually use the touchscreen mic button to initiate voice as I don't have to say navigation first. Problem is there, if you do it that way, make sure you can complete the voice commands before you have to stop, otherwise it will be canceled (yea that sucks).

So once engaged say "Drive to address". where you literally say the word address. Then you will get a new prompt where you can say the full address in the form street number, street name, city, and state. It will take a shot and if not sure, give you a few options which you can select by voice or touchscreen. Try it out. And yea, what a POS

I'm seeing a real pattern in your posts, Mogambi. It seems you hate nearly everything about this car, except for the way it drives. You hate the interior, the radio, the navigation. It brings to mind what seems to be a very reasonable question. Did you actually get into the car before you bought it? Did you drive it? Listen to the radio? Try the navigation? It seems to me a 20 minute test drive could have saved you thirty thousand dollars. I don't want to be a jerk to you if you are legitimately unhappy, but this is starting to get a bit ridiculous. If you are just trolling in here, go find somewhere else.

If you really like the way it drives, and you decide you can stomach the interior, then my advice to you is to pay $1200 and get an aftermarket radio/nav system installed and get the rest of your moneys worth out of the car. Otherwise sell it/return it/trade it in and do yourself a favor.

This. Trade it for a Hyundai Tucson or Santa Fe.

I think you are being a bit harsh with you comments.

To me the entertainment is of secondary importance when buying a car, the primary concern is how the car drives and its predicted reliability.

I had four test drives before buying, on one occasion I tested the sat nav and wasn't greatly impressed, but as Mazda were still sorting out issues I assumed I would get an improved version, which I appear to have.

Only on one of the test drives did I see any mirror and hood shake, again assuming mazda are active in updating the problems I then bought the car, but only after the oil issue had been resolved. Again I have no mirror or hood shake on my car.

So as you can see buying a new car can be a risk, on reflection I should have bought a 2015 car with mid life updates, but I was too impatient.

As it is I am being driven mad by silly things such as my Mazda compatibility tested phone not always connecting, and the parking sensors turning them selves off, I've even had the reversing camera not turn on while reversing.

All these minor things can make simple journey turn into a very stressful experience.

As I've mentioned on another thread I'm starting to hate that Tina turner record that my usb starts on EVERY time, all four of my test drives were in 2013 cars, but due to long delivery dates around 3 month in the UK, I've got a 2014 car along with this latest issue.

To me the entertainment is of secondary importance when buying a car, the primary concern is how the car drives and its predicted reliability.
I've seen this type of statement here several times, and it is neither helpful nor impressing anyone. We ALL buy a car to drive, and we ALL put reliability and performance first. That has nothing to do with dissatisfaction over inferior/defective components such as the stereo, mirrors and hood.

What a joke.

If you're that unhappy with the infotainment, you can get a double din headunit from ebay or Aliexpress (that will probably offer more media options as well) and try that. Double din units allow you to keep steering wheel controls (depending on the unit you can assign buttons as well). You would probably lose the ability to change setting like light timers and auto door lock etc without a dealer doing it. Otherwise you can keep qq'ing and not try to improve your situation.

Some people are saying they can enter the address while driving, and others not. It appears from a Tom Tom forum that a firmware update locked out the ability to enter an address while moving, and that also locked out the ability to do so via voice command. I wonder if there is any way to downgrade the firmware. Probably not.

To Atitus, just because I'm not singing the constant praises of the thing I like about the car, doesn't mean I hate everything. But I certainly have a right to criticize the things I think are wrong with the car. And I'm not alone, the Mazda Tom Tom was just listed in the top five 'worst car stereo units' available. If you don't like reading anything negative about the CX-5, then if you see a thread by me, just ignore it.

To answer you question, yes. I drove the car. I drove it quite some time. I saw the navigation, and actually entered an address while driving, as it seems my test car had an older firmware. So on my newer one, apparently the firmware has been upgraded before I got the car, and I am unable to enter an address while driving.

And yes, of course everything is secondary to 'driving', no offense, but what a stupid statement. Of course we buy a car for MANY reasons, we need transportation (I do), we like the aesthetics (I love the Mazda look), it drives nice (check), good mileage (not too bad), and then by the 'features'. For me the features included that I wanted more space to carry stuff, and that I wanted a built in iPod compatible stereo and built in navigation. So yes, when I criticize that basically I have an incredibly impaired stereo, navigation unit on a car I paid $31,000 for, I think I have that right. And looking over the threads, I'm not alone, Mazda botched this stereo / nav unit good.

We have right to b**** about it. It sucks. It sucks bad.

And XTrailman, I feel your pain, that must suck. How can it be that the 2013 implementation of it worked fine, and the 2014 bjorked it so badly.

Hello all, New to the Forum and Just picked up My 14 GT Yesterday. While ALL auto makers seem to anger people with Navigation; The Tom Tom is really NOT that bad. I traded in my 12 CR-V because the level of technology in the Honda has not reached "speak -n-Say" level yet. At least with the Tom Tom; you can speak an address and not have to spell each and every letter with a button press for each one. I've owned my fair share of cars and, one thing is certain; there are always going to be gripes because no matter what; there is going to be something that people don't like and Factory Navi is usually on top of that list.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. the first Car maker to be able to clone a smart phone screen will have a long line of the "shut up and take my money" people at their door. The problem is; there are too many offerings to choose from and there does not seem to be any sort of standard. I think that Factory Navi should be held to a pre-defined standard. Only allowing certain things to change like maps or POI's. The base navigational functions should be the same as should the voice command prompts.

Gee, I just got back from a 1400 mile trip from Upstate New York to Norfolk VA and I thought the Nav system was great. To have it tell me about traffic delays and plan an alternate route was very useful. I also liked the Bose system; true the lag to load and starting at the first song kinda suck but not that big of a deal. I did notice my mirror wiggle and my hood shake a little but fortunately did not have a seizure. I do wish I had bought a GT for the eight way seats. I also did 31 mpg for the trip, (hand caulc) and found the headlights awesome ! Thank God I read this forum so I knew about all the minute issues I was overlooking. I will now set fire to my 2014 CX-5 in my driveway !

The only way to avoid frustration is to enter an address while at a stop. Otherwise I'd bet a hundred dollars some folks keep trying to enter directions in between stoplights lol.

Neighbors brand new avalon doesn't let you set the nav while moving either. Seems to be a trend. Thank God my German made BMW doesn't care if I hit a tree going 140mph while setting the nav! Of course voice works as well so not an issue.

Neighbors brand new avalon doesn't let you set the nav while moving either. Seems to be a trend. Thank God my German made BMW doesn't care if I hit a tree going 140mph while setting the nav! Of course voice works as well so not an issue.

My main problem is not about being able to set it when driving or when stopped. My problem is the damned saftey lock and whatever you were doing when stopped is canceled once you start driving and when you are driving and you stop, whatever you were doing at that point is canceled. Also the menu is different when driving vs stopped and it isn't like the menu while driving is more intuitive, its just different. So you have to remember where things are when stopped and when driving. Very annoying

Sorry but I was expressing my own opinion, actually not interested in making an impression, I do find your comments strange, especially on a public forum.

I've seen this type of statement here several times, and it is neither helpful nor impressing anyone. We ALL buy a car to drive, and we ALL put reliability and performance first. That has nothing to do with dissatisfaction over inferior/defective components such as the stereo, mirrors and hood.

My main problem is not about being able to set it when driving or when stopped. My problem is the damned saftey lock and whatever you were doing when stopped is canceled once you start driving and when you are driving and you stop, whatever you were doing at that point is canceled. Also the menu is different when driving vs stopped and it isn't like the menu while driving is more intuitive, its just different. So you have to remember where things are when stopped and when driving. Very annoying

The neighbors and my wife and I took a trip to Niagara Falls in their Avalon for a long weekend. While we were in the area we would program points of interest at stop lights. Some lights were too short and the exact same thing would happen. It was annoying, but I survived not driving with a cell phone or any kind of GPS for over 20 years so not a big deal. Technology just makes us all spoiled.

Must admit I have no issues with my TomTom and really value the LIVE services. Have had several portable TTs over the years and feel that the latest models are as good as it gets on the market today, not perfect but better than just about anything else just now. The accuracy of the traffic data surpasses anything else available in Europe. Yes, my services have disappeared periodically which is very frustrating but they have always come back. I put this down to issues with the TT servers going down. It has happened periodically with my portable TTs. Last week in my MX5 I ran into 2 road closures which my portable TTs hadn't recognised but as soon as I plotted avoid roadblock options it got me round no problem.

Now, if you really want to a see a POS navigation system I would refer you to my previous Jaguar XF (my11)., a far more expensive and upmarket car with just about the worst electrics I have ever seen. That didnt even recognise certain m-way/ free way junctions that have been around for many years or would have me driving on minor roads in preference to nearby A class roads that were perfectly clear. Used to use the PNDs in preference to the inbuilt system.

My complaint isn't with the actual navigation so much as the fact that I cannot enter a driving destination while driving, using 'voice command'. I can understand locking out the keyboard. But the whole point of having a system that can accept voice commands, is so that I can control it without taking my eyes off the road. I can control the stereo via voice command, make a phone call. Not to mention of course, what if I have a passenger in the car and THEY want to enter the address. At some point the responsibility has to be placed back on the driver to not do something stupid like enter an address while moving. But to just lock it out, then frankly, they should lock out all audio controls too, as I can sit there and fiddle with the stereo, searching artist and album and all that, just as distracting as typing in an address....

My German built Volkswagen CC's navigation could care less if I'm doing 120mph too lol. I type in the address while coasting or at a stoplight. The system saves my info and doesn't switch screens allowing me to proceed when safe.

While moving and say a passenger access the navigation system it merely gives you a warning indicator which is overriden by clicking "OK" on the disclaimer. From a legal standpoint I can't really sue Volkswagen because I've agreed to the disclaimer.

Latest posts

Back