A list of known CX-5 Stereo / Navigation problems

After 2 different 2013 Ford Focus Titanium's (both with MyFord Touch and Nav) I can assure you that while the mazda system is broken, at least its consistently broken and doesn't endanger your life. Ford's system is much more elaborate and takes over many more of the systems in the car. The result is that when it randomly decides to go nuts, really bad things can happen.

At least MyFord Touch is software upgradable and Ford has been regulary issuing fixes. Yea, MyFord Touch probably tries to do a bit too much, but from what I've read in the Ford forums, it is getting better

The voice recognition has to be the worse I have ever seen, the places it comes up with dont even sound remotely similar to the places you tell it to navigate to.

It is also annoying that it doesnt show the street names on the nav as you approach intersections and at night time it barely shows any street names.

The un-labeled street names is so annoying. I can't use the nav without a destination programmed like I used to do with my Civic nav to find the road names around me. Sometimes I don't need to go to a destination, but I do need to know what the next 3 cross streets ahead of me are.

>> 7) There seems to be no function to simply get directions to a city, if I don't know an address in that city. Every other GPS I've had can simple take directions to a city.

Believe me, I hate the Tom-Tom. But to be fair this one does exist. Voice control: Get directions to a City Center will ask you which state and town.

Just picked up a 2013 CX5 Touring with the Moonroof/Bose system package. What's the trick to get the USB to work? I have a 16gb flash drive (memory stick) that I've copied a bunch of songs to. I plug the flash drive into the USB port and nothing. The USB tab on the display stays greyed out. Do the music files have to be loaded on the memory stick a certain way? Is 16gb to big of a storage device? Do I fall into the same boat as other posters and have a dysfunctional USB function. All other functions seem to be working OK. By the way the music files are all MP3's.

What format is the USB stick? FAT32 or Mac Formatting seems to work, but not sure what format. 16 gig is not too big, I have a 64 gig and it works although it takes forever to mount.

What format are the songs too? I believe the Mazda will read mp3, wav and aac, but most likely not wmv so what format are your songs?

All the music files are MP3's as noted in my first post. The memory stick is formatted NTSF. Didn't think of that..I'll reformat it FAT and see what happens.

Thanks Mogambi...formatting the memory stick to FAT32 did the trick. Mazda doesn't mention that anywhere in the manual that I could find. I also have a Android phone that is up to date with 4.1.xxx. Apparently the Android people decided to take the mass storage functionality out of this version. So consequently when plugged into the CX5 USB port the head unit has not a clue what the phone is so no USB with the phone. So I'll load up the memory stick with music. That'll work...thanks again.

Well on my way to work today the head unit did a reset out of the blue. Reset everything back to factory defaults including the radio memories. It was playing music off the memory stick plugged into the USB port when the reset happenned. Hope this is not a reoccurring thing. Again this is a 2013 CX-5 with the Bose system.

It would be nice if the radio had built in graphic equalizer or even Mid response adjustment other than just Bass and treble.

Occasionally when starting ours we get "stopping voice control" about three times. Sometimes it never comes out of navigation mode so you cant adjust the volume on radio, other times it does. Haven't done an update in a little while. Will see if that fixes it.

Jeff

Update on our issue. We had the vehicle in for the 15k service, and it seems like they disconnected the battery. (Also had the drivers mirror shake and steering column rattle fixed). Radio has acted normal since, guess unhooking the battery did the trick.

Jeff

While you can stick a bunch of mp3 or (supposedly) aac files on a CD and play that, it seems that the head unit is unable to play variable bit rate (VBR) AAC files. VBR mp3 works fine.

I can almost forgive mazda for this one, as VBR AAC files aren't extremely common. However, I'm disappointed that they don't work.

I agree with having problems detailed in items 8 and 9 of your list. However it would be useful if when switching on Traffic announcements, the radio could be muted and only come alive when a local radio station sends out a TA. Additionally it would help drivers traveling in a foreign country to hear Tomtom's directions given in the driver's language with place names spoken correctly by a native speaker.The above options are currently not available.

all of this makes me weary to purchase because all of my music is on an ipod like most people and this would be a breaking point for me. my mazdaspeed3 2012 uses a headphone jack so none of this stuff is a issue in that car.

The VX-5 has a headphone jack too, so if you're willing to control your music through the iPod, no problem. But most of us want to control the iPod through the head unit, and therein lies the problem. But there is an Aux in jack right next to the USB Jack. But it's in the center console, and so no super convenient to control the iPod while it's inside there.

And i'd be weary too. Had I known about all these problems, I NEVER would have bought this car. I know people have attacked for being harsh, but it's true.

You think CX-5 has problems...go to a couple Escape forums and read about the My Ford Sync or whatever they call it. Sounds like a complete disaster.

You think CX-5 has problems...go to a couple Escape forums and read about the My Ford Sync or whatever they call it. Sounds like a complete disaster.

While it does have issues, the iPhone/iPod works quite well. Also MyFord Touch is software updatable and they have been issuing software updates to fix bugs. While I doubt it is perfect, at least they have acknowledged the issues and are trying to fix them.

Update on our issue. We had the vehicle in for the 15k service, and it seems like they disconnected the battery. (Also had the drivers mirror shake and steering column rattle fixed). Radio has acted normal since, guess unhooking the battery did the trick.

Jeff

I had this same issue with the "stopping voice control" sounding every startup as well as it telling me I was in the wrong country. Disconnected Battery and it worked fine after reconnecting. Seems to be a good fix to this problem, which was extremely annoying. Now my blue machine is back to being perfect!

I don't mean to stir the pot but I can't believe so many people are dismissing a great vehicle because they can't control their music device through the car. Maybe am too old school, but give me a great automobile with a crappy "stereo" over a crappy automobile with a good stereo. Just my .02

Back