Drag Racing Question/Discussion

It's pretty obvious our cars aren't designed for the drag strip. Period. When someone gets a reliable 11s MSP, then that will be a pretty sweet ride. I don't see any reason to want to go faster.

BLKZOOM- you were running the stock clutch,no?and it was the crappy RE0-40's?
did you do anything about your camber?

thats a pretty respectable time for street tires.

Good to hear you are working on trick/new parts BlkZoomZoom. I have realized I am much more interested in straight line speed than stupid cornering ability. So making the suspension much more drag friendly would be great for someone like me, but I wouldnt want to trailer it in :).

And yeah Joka a MSP (or any protege) in the 11's reliable would be a crazy car. For me I think anything 12.5 and down is a super street machine without being utterly rediculous...only slightly rediculous.

Also I just thought of Juan's P5, he went 12.5 with drag radials and claimed he could go a lot faster with more work. But that thread/info happened a looong time ago so I'm not certian on what he said.

And I could have sworn I saw a P5 owner get 1.8-1.9 times but I can't find the thread/post now when I search.

It would also be nice to see Rich's times with his setup. I personally have never seen 1/4 mi numbers from his car but it would be interesting to see what his MSP can do.

I hope that new tranny gets made too, maybe it will open doors for the high rollers here.

Stock clutch disk with the ACT pressure plate. Not the reo-40's, they were the stock Mazdaspeed Miata tires toyo something or others. My reo40's were gone at 12k miles. These are actually smaller than the stock tire. I only ran .02 faster with drag radials the week before.

I have done a ton with the alignment. The last set-up seemed to work the best, I unloaded the front suspension then set alittle toe in and no camber.

BLKZOOMZOOM,it's a shame you won't be in this 1/4 mile trial anymore,I know you will be with other peoples cars,but it's not the same.
I know you would put more effort into yourown ride.

I think I'm just going with coil-overs in the back, that should help keep the front end under control, but we'll see......granted, I'm not making near the horsepower of alot of people on this board, but I'm also working with extremely limited funds, so 13's is where I'm headed for now atleast. Man, I need a new job, and need to get back to Houston

Yeah, I was going to get some Tokico Illumina struts, but for the closeness of price, I may go with some D2 or KSport Coilovers. AODfan? Where you at mang?

Last edited:
I remember some people talking about having the stock front suspension with coilovers in the back for improved 60ft times. I belive the person who said that also mentioned having 1 or more spacers in the back too.

That would help to keep the power to the ground for sure. Not sure how that would effect cornering though. And I'm not talking about improving cornering im just not sure if doing those things would make for bad tuning. I personally havent messed around with suspension before so I dont know when straight-line setups start to get bad for actual street driving.

Keep the good talk/ideas a comming.

Drop%20Gob.gif

If your wanting to stiffen the rear so that it doesn't squat on take off you might try the spring spacers. I don't know it they still make them but when I was younger they had the spacers you put in the springs and it helped keep the spring from compressing. Just a though, it'll keep you from have to change out any thing.

Yeah but we can make good power also with a little more work. This is less about SRT4 vs MSP and more about what we can do to close the gap on cars like that. But in reality just getting the most out of our cars, in a straight line atleast.

Back