CX-5 Transmission: Drain and fill vs flush vs oil pan drop drain/fill?

Goodness me, it's only two years old.
I know someone will argue this one, but I'd leave it alone. Not necessary at this point, unless you are having issues, in which case a fluid change won't fix it.
If you do decide to go ahead, don't do a flush with one of those machines. They do more harm than good. Drain and fill.
My 6 has 296,000KM on it. I have seen what the bottom of the pan looks like in these AT's a couple times now.

Once you have it dropped, you'll be happy you did.

So I have a 2017 Mazda6, but the process seems the same for a pan drop/gasket/filter replacement and then 3x3 drain and fill. My only question is whether to use the o-ring gasket that come in some kits or just use RTV when replacing the pan? The gasket would be easier, but I don’t trust the quality of the Chinese manufacturers that surely make them.

Anyone have a strong opinion about that?

So I have a 2017 Mazda6, but the process seems the same for a pan drop/gasket/filter replacement and then 3x3 drain and fill. My only question is whether to use the o-ring gasket that come in some kits or just use RTV when replacing the pan? The gasket would be easier, but I don’t trust the quality of the Chinese manufacturers that surely make them.

Anyone have a strong opinion about that?

With RTV, the pan mating surfaces must be completely oil free and clean. The RTV must be applied to make sure it covers the mating surfaces without any voids.

Gaskets are much easier but the gaskets they supply in the kits are usually cheapo gaskets. On my other cars, the factory included a steel core gasket encased in rubber. These gaskets are reusable and I've never had them leak.

Mazda used RTV as it's "less expensive" than a quality gasket. RTV makes it harder later to do service on it as it requires a lot of detail work to remove, clean and reinstall.

I used RTV and hopefully it doesn't leak. So far, it hasn't but I haven't drive it long to make sure it is not leaking.

With RTV, the pan mating surfaces must be completely oil free and clean. The RTV must be applied to make sure it covers the mating surfaces without any voids.

Gaskets are much easier but the gaskets they supply in the kits are usually cheapo gaskets. On my other cars, the factory included a steel core gasket encased in rubber. These gaskets are reusable and I've never had them leak.

Mazda used RTV as it's "less expensive" than a quality gasket. RTV makes it harder later to do service on it as it requires a lot of detail work to remove, clean and reinstall.

I used RTV and hopefully it doesn't leak. So far, it hasn't but I haven't drive it long to make sure it is not leaking.
The factory rubber /steel core gaskets are nice but it's a bummer to have your transmission serviced somewhere and later find out they tossed the rubber one and used the gasket from the filter kit. Which then leaks later on. This happened on a previous car where I forgot to instruct them to reuse the factory gasket. Dealer price on factory gasket was ~ $50 and this was almost 20 years ago.

If anyone thinking about using the aftermarket transmission filter with pan gasket, be aware that the gasket may not fit depending on your transmission pan. My guess is Mazda had changed the transmission pan shape when they added the cylinder deactivation for 2018 CX-5, where the transmission was also modified to add some components to fight the vibration by CD.

I did mine today. 2020 CX-5 Touring, 2.5L NA engine, 50,000 miles. ⋯
The WIX filter and gasket I got from Rockauto had a different variation of gasket (similar but 2 holes were about 3/4" off), so I ended up buying RTV from a local auto parts store, I was a bit pissed about that.

I use Wix filters, which includes a gasket. I use the gasket every time, and I've never had a leak.
Wix part number on the filter for my 2013 CX-5 with the 2.0 is WL10379.
Used that same filter today on my 2020 2.5L NA Touring.
Two holes on the gasket were about 3/4" off - couldn't use the gasket. That had me a bit pissed. Ended up using $15 tube Permatex from my local parts store - the price of the RTV was nearly as much as the filter and gasket, which had me more pissed.

And from:

Blauparts.com - Mazda CX-5 Transmission Fluid Change Kit - 2013-23 - 6 Spd - Ravenol

Vehicle Fitment Note: Fits all 2013-2017 Mazda CX-5 models. 2018-2023 Mazda CX-5 models could have two transmission pan types. 2018-2023 Mazda CX-5 model owners will need to confirm a transmission pan part number FZ01-21-51XA, FZ01-21-51XB, FZ01-21-51X, or FZA1-21-51X before ordering. We suggest contacting your dealer and ask them what transmission pan part number you would need if replacing it. You can also visually inspect the pan for an OEM part number sticker but these have typically been weathered and are not legible.

Latest posts

Back