car idles funny when first turned on

:
2008 mazdaspeed3 GT
Its been a while since ive driven stick so bare with me if this is a noobish question. When i fire up my car and its in neutral, it will shoot up to about 2.5k then slowly drop back down. does anyone know if this normal or if this could possibly be the start of something bad? I just bought the car so its gunna take some time for me to adjust to it......so again, please bare with me if this is normal.

Worbit said:
Its been a while since ive driven stick so bare with me if this is a noobish question. When i fire up my car and its in neutral, it will shoot up to about 2.5k then slowly drop back down. does anyone know if this normal or if this could possibly be the start of something bad? I just bought the car so its gunna take some time for me to adjust to it......so again, please bare with me if this is normal.

where are you located? if you're in a cold climate, like me, it's gonna take some to warm up and run normal. when I start up my car, it stays around 2500rpm, but once its warmed up, it idles right around 700 nice and steady.

im in So. Cal (San Diego) so it doesnt get THAT cold.......thanks for the quick responces guys

okay, whats your daily regimen then, meaning do you drive a lot or just to work and home and the car sits around the rest of the time. also, how long does it take to get to regular idle and what rpm is it idling at then?

i think i figured it out. its mainly doing it in the morning when it is cold outside. So im thinking it just has to do with the weather

Back