can't stay in 5th

breal, let me know what the fix is at the shop. I'd love to find out. I will prob do it myself, if anyone in the area is interested.

I'm gonna take my '02 ES to a shop to check that out...mine pops out of 3rd gear everytime w/ 157200 on the odo...they say it might be something internal and the trans might need to be replaced.

Mine is at 67K. I know the 00 thru 02's had the problem, it was fixed in the for those models made mid 2002 and later (which could be 02.5's, 03's, or 03.5's) for both the ES sedan and P5. "It" being the propensity to pop out of gear. The rumor is inferior components and if you do replace, make sure the #s of the housing indicate a later date. Mazda North America will tell you when a car is made based on the VIN. There is also an FAQ somewhere (search VIN) telling you how to translate parts of the VIN into manufacture date.

Again, CantCMe or brealmp3, keep us updated on the trips to the shop.

Last edited:
Sure will...it's funny because I was just looking at transmission upgrade kits that strengthen 3rd and 5th gears (at protegegarage.com) and they come with the msp lsd for about $900 I think...is that a good deal?

The upgrade is a good deal, but the question is whether it replaces the right parts. Is it the shift forks that are failing (unlikely)? Is it the synchros? (more likely) Is it the dog gear (likely)? Is there some sort of detent in the linkage that helps it to stay in gear (dont know, I cant find schematics of the tranny)?
If it is the fifth "gear" (I assume the kit includes the synchros), then yes, the protegegarage deal is a good one. The welded LSD has resolved the weak LSD problems in the tranny, and gives you limited-slip where you most likely (in an 02 ES, or my P5) didnt have it before.

If this kit doesnt solve the problem, then obviously no :), it is not a good deal for the fix. I would really like to see what the shop says the fix will be. If they say "synchros," go get the protegegarage kit.

I was thinking about taking my car to Pat Goss and have them check the transmission out...they do good work and they don't try to rip people off. And it helps that they're located right in Lanham, Md. Even if I can have the trans repaired (depending on how expensive it is) I might still get the trans upgrade to make sure it won't happen again.

Well, I just got my car back from 2 shops, had the polyurethane motor mounts put on, and surprise (so far) it hasn't popped out of 3rd once. I'm still gonna get the tranny looked at.

Scratch the last post...problem remains. It seems at though when it's cold, it's fine. Oh well...

did you try Different oils as in the previous forums.
I Have 50/50 Regular canadian tire gear oil, and Lucas stabilizer. Seriously It hasn't done it IN a WHILE, Unless I get too eager when I shift, and it's not all the way in, then it will pop out.It's the only gear that does that.

Back