Broken Cargo Cover Clip - Any Suggestions? (Mazda5 2008)

Last night I managed to break the driver's side cargo cover clip on my 2008 Mazda 5. I was already pricing the replacement cover ($143 discounted price) - when I noticed that the clip (which holds the cover in place when it's drawn back over the cargo area) - has two screws on the bottom of it - so it looks very user replaceable - but it seems Mazda only sells the entire cover - not the small plastic part.

Anybody have any advise on finding a replacement? I have already posted here in the WTB section. I'm wondering if I can make the part out of a wooden dowel. Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_20121016_101331.jpgIMG_20121016_101324.jpgIMG_20121016_101331.jpgIMG_20121016_101324.jpg
Need to see a pic to know what exactly you're talking about.

See attached pictures - this shows the working/no broken passenger-side part. One pic of it near where it hooks into (top view of part) - second shot of the underside of the part - where you see the two screws that hold it in place.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

How exactly is it broken? Can it be glued/epoxied back together?
Have you tried sourcing the complete cover from a salvage yard?

Sorry, but I still don't see what the problem is even looking at your pictures. Why not post pics of the broken part?

How exactly is it broken? Can it be glued/epoxied back together?
Have you tried sourcing the complete cover from a salvage yard?

Thanks for getting back to me folks.

So in answer to the questions: About 40% of it snapped off - basically the portion of the part that holds it in place. I have not been able to find the portion that broke off - although I'm pretty sure I heard it land in the tailgate. That said, I think the stress on that part is such that it would be unlikely that a repaired part would hold. The spring-loaded cover really pulls hard on that piece - but I'd still be willing to try it.

As to sourcing at a junk yard - how does one do that? I once signed up for some service that supposed sent requests to a network of salvage yards - I was looking for a part for a friend's Toyota - and it didn't seem to yield anything.

I will try to take a picture of the broken part tomorrow.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts - keep them coming,

In the past, I've successfully repaired plastic parts by drilling a small hole through both parts and inserting a nail into it. This way, you can renforce the glued parts with a steel nail.
Steps:
- Hold both parts together
- Drill a hole (or two) through both parts
- Put some glue inside the holes and on the broken surface of the two parts
- Insert a steel nail into the hole
- Put the parts together

Back