New to site...Turbo questions (1999 Mazda Protege 1.6L)

Kl0wnKiller

99 Protege DX
Hey all. I am new to this site. I have a 99 Protege DX 1.6L Manual that I bought a couple of years ago for $2000 with only 41K miles on it. I use it as a daily to keep the miles down on my hot rod (2014 CTS-V coupe) but I have really grown to like this little car. After putting coil overs on it and lowering in I really like the handling. Unfortunately, the engine is rather... wimpy... so i have been playing with the idea of adding a turbo kit to it. Vivid Racing sells one but I would still need and ECM, injectors and wideband for it... plus the expense of a tuner to dial it all in. Looks like around $10K to do all that and I just don't know if it is really worth it. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a complete turbo kit for a better price? $3400 seems pretty pricey to me... Thanks in advance for any positive advice.

In all honesty man, with the amount of things you'd have to change to make up for the power increase, (including to support handling), plus the weight increase, I think you'll lose touch with the essence of the little thing.

My first car (That I learned manual on) was a 2000 1.6L DX just like yours. The engine made little torque, but was still an absolute joy to rev out. It made a truly great sound with very linear power. For a secondary car, it's enough to enjoy the handling of the chassis.

In all honesty man, with the amount of things you'd have to change to make up for the power increase, (including to support handling), plus the weight increase, I think you'll lose touch with the essence of the little thing.

My first car (That I learned manual on) was a 2000 1.6L DX just like yours. The engine made little torque, but was still an absolute joy to rev out. It made a truly great sound with very linear power. For a secondary car, it's enough to enjoy the handling of the chassis.
Thanks. Yeah, I wrestled with this too. What I was thinking about was that I wanted to make a little show car, something along the lines of the first F&F movie but still unique. Sure I want power but I wanted something Japanese. I thought of using this car because it is in such great shape already. The interior looks factory new and the exterior just has hail dents so it would nor be very expensive to make the cosmetics look really well. I have already done the coilovers and link rods. I retire next year so I need a project car. I plan to sell the V and either spend some on this car or buy something else. Undecided. Thanks for the input though.

Thanks. Yeah, I wrestled with this too. What I was thinking about was that I wanted to make a little show car, something along the lines of the first F&F movie but still unique. Sure I want power but I wanted something Japanese. I thought of using this car because it is in such great shape already. The interior looks factory new and the exterior just has hail dents so it would nor be very expensive to make the cosmetics look really well. I have already done the coilovers and link rods. I retire next year so I need a project car. I plan to sell the V and either spend some on this car or buy something else. Undecided. Thanks for the input though.
I think you'd enjoy a newer model Mazda 3 or 6.

Try some more suspension upgrades.

Agreed, why not sell both and get a good condition Speed3? Those are fast and handle well. Or keep the mostly stock Protege and CTS-V...that honestly sounds like a great combo to me as is.

Agreed, why not sell both and get a good condition Speed3? Those are fast and handle well. Or keep the mostly stock Protege and CTS-V...that honestly sounds like a great combo to me as is.
No, the Skyactiv Mazda's. No speeds, but they are truly excellent cars.

Why the Skyactiv models specifically? Why not the non-speed non-Skyactiv models? They're not as fuel efficient but otherwise the same cars.

Definitely not the same cars, significant updates to the chassis, suspension, engine, transmission and interior, including superficial interior/exterior styling improvements which make the Skyactiv's a substantial improvement over previous generations.

Definitely not the same cars, significant updates to the chassis, suspension, engine, transmission and interior, including superficial interior/exterior styling improvements which make the Skyactiv's a substantial improvement over previous generations.
I don't think we're talking about the same thing. 2nd gen Mazda 3, for example - you can buy it with or without the Skyactiv engine. The cars can be, as far as I know, otherwise identical other than the engine.

Honestly not too important though considering Kl0wnKiller's original question. I think any Mazda 3 with a stick would be good!

Back