Auto Up Windows

cccx9

:
CX-9 Touring
I know that the auto up windows have a safety feature that if something blocks it from going up it will immediately retract. I'm having a problem with my driver's side that seems to only happen when that side of the car is in direct sunlight on hot days. I'll try to roll up the window and it will retract as if something is blocking its path. I try and retry the auto up and it retracts each time. I then have to hold the button to roll it up.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I know I'll probably have to take it to the dealer to resolve it. I'm just curious as to why it seems to be caused by heat.

This happened to my Jeep every once is a while Like the window got possessed or something. I wonder if there is too much tension on the glass stabilizers in that when the expand is serious heat (thereby putting more pressure on the glass), the window sensor thinks there is an obstruction.

cccx9,
Before you bring it to the dealer, please try to re-initiate the auto-window yourself.
Try this procedure. If it does not work for you, then, take it in. Save you time if it does.

- Turn the ignition switch to ON position
- Press the power window switch and fully open the suspect door glass (roll-down)
- Pull up the power window main switch to the manual-up position to fully close the suspect door glass, and keep holding the switch at the position for approx. 2 seconds.

That was a direct quote from Workshop manual.
Good luck.

Yeah direct sun + hot day.

It basically goes all the way up and then retracts like 1/3 if I remember correctly.

I checked the window channel and it is clear and without bulges. The window worked fine yesterday because the car was backed into my driveway with the driver's side facing away from the sun.

cccx9,
It could be the heat expansion from direct sunshine.
The track got expanded so much so that it blocks the rolling up of glass. Therefore, it retracts when meeting resistance.
Put some candle wax in the track and see what happen.

I went home for lunch and tried it since it is in the 80s today and it is sitting in direct sun and of course it didn't do it. It rolled up fine.

I'll try it again later in the day because it happened to me around 5 PM the 2 times that I've experienced it.

I hate intermittent issues.

I don't think it's the track. Does the window seem to slow down when it's rolled up by holding the switch?

Sounds like a faulty component in the sensor/motor.

No it goes up at a fast steady rate. Even when it retracts, it goes all the way up and then retracts.

I didn't get a chance to try it again last night. I'm probably stuck with it since it will be hard to replicate for the dealer.

No it goes up at a fast steady rate. Even when it retracts, it goes all the way up and then retracts.

I didn't get a chance to try it again last night. I'm probably stuck with it since it will be hard to replicate for the dealer.

Break it then! Jam it on the way up with you hand or on the way down. Break it for good. If its under warranty, it'll get fixed for free.

My guess is the motor's sensor calibration is slightly off.

Just take it in, show them the problem, and have it replaced under warranty.

Don't deliberately break it, or they may refuse. It's not working, so they are obligated to repair it.

Back