2016 Mazda3 not starting, alarm going off but only when daughter drives it

Hello,

I'm brand new here. Have already taken my 2016 Mazda 3, 2.0 L to my mechanic and he says nothing is wrong. So I really hope someone here can help!

The car is a push button start. My 16 yr old drove the car to work and after 3 hours at work, when she tried to start the car the engine won't start, the alarm goes off and brake pedal is very hard to depress. All the dash lights came on. (Wasn't the battery because it's brand new and I just had it replaced due to the first one being bad.) Plus the interior lights/map lights still worked. She did note that the light on the start button turned from green to amber and stayed amber, which is NOT normal. We thought it might be the alternator. Left it overnight and when tow truck arrived in the a.m., car started up just fine. Took it to mechanic, they say no problems. Second time it happened was about a week later, she drove it to work, parked in same spot, same exact thing happened.. Except this time, her friend tried to jump it and they did it incorrectly and caused it to spark and that seemed to reset it because car started fine after this. I thought maybe there's some kind of RF/EMF signal around that lot causing a glitch or interfering with it so I told her to park in a different area and that appeared to stop it happening when she goes to work. Then it happened tonight when she went to quiktrip; she had driven somewhere else first and no problems. We disconnected neg battery cable and were able to start it fine and drive it home.

I have driven it plenty in between her issues and had zero problems. My neighbor does all his own maintenance and work on his cars and he thinks possibly it could be a loose ground wire, or that she is doing something she isn't aware of to cause this. I am beyond frustrated and couldn't find much via google so I thought I'd try here. I love my car; I bought it two years ago when my other car got totaled thanks to an uninsured driver turning left in front of me. I have had no issues with it at all until now. It does have 125K miles on it, and new battery installed about 6-7 months ago.

Thanks in advance for any help! : )

Back