2018 Mazda3 Inconsistent issue: Code P2299

Hey everyone, I have a 2018 Mazda 3 and I have an inconstant issue I am looking to resolve and figure out:
When driving, occasionally with my foot on the gas the car will start to slow down until I take my foot off the gas petal and then put it back on(after this its back to normal). It has happened 3 times over a 5-6 month period and only as the weather was colder.
I took my car to Mazda and they were not able to reproduce the issue but said there was a code in the system, P2299 which is "Brake Pedal Position/Accelerator Pedal Position Incompatible". Mazda recommended a bunch of normal work be done since the car is at 80000 miles: Spark plug replacement, fuel injection, throttle body service, replace belt and tensioner. I had Mazda replace belt and tensioner, fuel injection service, and replace spark plugs. This seemed to fix the problem for a while but it just occured again(the weather has been 30 degrees by me recently if that matters for this issue).

Should I have Mazda also do a throttle body service?

I was reading online about P2299, should I replace my APP sensor and or break sensors?

Does anyone have any recommended courses of action to fix this? I read online I can leave it with a dealership for a week to see if they can reproduce it but I also read about people spending a lot of money to fix similar issues and it never working.

I never replace parts without diagnosing first, but it's a waste of time trying to diagnose something that only happens 6/7 times a year. I'd just ignore this unless it starts happening more often.

Upvote 0
I agree. I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

But it does sound like the Pedal position sensor or throttle position sensor is going bad which makes sense from your symptoms and code.

Upvote 0
I agree. I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

But it does sound like the Pedal position sensor or throttle position sensor is going bad which makes sense from your symptoms and code.
Ok I will monitor it. It has not happened again recently. One thing I am noticing is the light for the smart break system warning symbol has gone off a couple of times while driving. Maybe that is related to the slowing down that occurs. I will continue to monitor. Thank you for your response!

I never replace parts without diagnosing first, but it's a waste of time trying to diagnose something that only happens 6/7 times a year. I'd just ignore this unless it starts happening more often.
Thank you! I will keep an eye on it!

Upvote 0
Back