Any photographers in here?

Where are you getting the live streams from? Their site direct?

I have been trying to find the races via torrents or YouTube and it's super annoying.

Thanks Jon!

Marc, I love V8 Supercars. I drop the 40 bucks or so every year to get the live streams and race replays since broadcasts are unreliable in the states. Best racing on the planet imo!

The one thing I like about going to China is being able to watch teh races live.

Last photo dump from this weekend, promise!

Australian V8 Supercars Austin 400 by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Austin 400 Pirelli World Challenge by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Austin 400 Pirelli World Challenge Touring Car by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Austin 400 Pirelli World Challenge Touring Car B-Spec by R3d Baron, on Flickr

More exciting news: some of these photos will appear in a story soon on Speedhunters.com! If you follow the site, keep an eye out for it!

congrats on getting some shots published R3d.

a couple more early tests with the new lighting setup.
8771698209_bcb4332d0d_c.jpg

8771697777_6dc66f1011_c.jpg

Well, the upgrade happened. I found a used Nikon D3100 on craigslist today. Now I just need to find a lens or two. The body seems like it's in good shape. It was this guy's backup camera. His job got him a D4 so his D7000 is now his backup. He brought one of his spare lenses to show the camera to me. I'm not sure what kinds of specs to look for when shopping for a lens.

Get a 50, or 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 and you will not be disappointed for your event. Both can be had for relatively low cost.

Using a prime lens, I find, also forces you to get more creative. I shoot almost exclusively with my 85mm unless I'm at a sporting event like this past one in Austin (although a handful of the dominantly blue and red pans were taken with the 85), in which case I'll use my big telephoto. I also have a wide angle that I love for city and landscapes. But if you're doing a wedding like - I think it was you - we talked about earlier, a 50 or 85 mill will be a wonderful addition.

Get a 50, or 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 and you will not be disappointed for your event. Both can be had for relatively low cost.

agree. 50mm f1.8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Unless you want to spend a lot of coin, the best way to get sharp pictures from a fast lens is to let your feet be the zoom and stick with primes.

Using a prime lens, I find, also forces you to get more creative. I shoot almost exclusively with my 85mm unless I'm at a sporting event like this past one in Austin (although a handful of the dominantly blue and red pans were taken with the 85), in which case I'll use my big telephoto. I also have a wide angle that I love for city and landscapes. But if you're doing a wedding like - I think it was you - we talked about earlier, a 50 or 85 mill will be a wonderful addition.

Thanks for the input! I started nosing around at the local camera stores today after work. Since they weren't too busy the guy spent half an hour teaching me about the camera and the different lenses. He was extremely helpful and almost talked me into picking up a Tamron 18-270mm 3.6-6.3 and a Nikon 50mm 1.8. There's a couple other places I'm gonna check out after work tomorrow that deal more with used equipment. Their websites look promising, so hopefully they have some options.

Not every Serviceman lives to the day he can hang up his armor in favor of a suit.
This Memorial Day remind your family and friends what you are in fact celebrating...
That brave and patriotic souls paid the ultimate price for our freedom, and that we are forever indebted to the families they left behind.
GOD BLESS AMERICA

8820962462_4e949d1e47_c.jpg

So I'm looking at getting a Compact system camera instead of a traditional DSLR, any opinions on this? I'm no photographer, at least not like a majority of you guys but definitely want to learn. Was looking at the new Sony Alpha NEX-3N with 16-50mm Lens, what would you recommend for an amateur photographer?

Last edited:
Back