Any photographers in here?

Anyone have experience with lens/body adapters? I found an adapter ring/plate that would allow me to use my plethora of K1000 lenses on my Nikon body. Is there a substantial loss in image quality?

No there shouldn't be. They don't have glass in them. It's merely a mount as far as I know. I have a nikon mount for my canon so I can use old manual nikon lenses for video work. Like very old lenses.

8715593358_b9770c53c0_b.jpg

A buddy of mine is getting married next month and his photographer backed out last minute. He asked me to fill in. I don't have a fancy DSLR like most of you guys, just a Nikon P100. He doesn't want any editing done, just a disk of nice pics. Any tips would go a LONG way. I've gotten better at using the "manual mode" but I know just the basics. HELP! Thanks!

Last edited:
LOL..Well..as long as you have an agreement that this is what you're working with and no editing. Then it should be fine. And tell him the words "nice pics" is going to have to be used loosely and lower his expectations. I've seen friendships get broken over miscommunication and different expectations because a buddy thinks his buddy is a good "photographer".

Make sure he understands that you don't do this often and that you don't have a fast camera like a pro DSLR. Also, you're limited in your lenses (1) and the camera's not going to be very good in low light and zoom situations. The flash is going to come from the on-board flash, and it's going to look terrible when the light is blasted straight at subjects.

If you're going to go ahead with this..make sure he understands that there's a high risk that a lot of the pictures might not turn out to the way they want it to be. Hope everything works out and you guys are still friends after this.

Anyone have experience with lens/body adapters? I found an adapter ring/plate that would allow me to use my plethora of K1000 lenses on my Nikon body. Is there a substantial loss in image quality?

I use Pentax Lenses on my micro four thirds system all the time (have an MX and a Brown K1000), I also use a Minolta Lens via adapter as well.
The one issue that can arise is the ability to focus to infinity. I do not have that issue with either of mine, but I made sure to see some reviews first. My minolta lens actually focuses past infinity slightly, which is just a minor nuisance. The image quality with both adapters is terrific though. There are more expensive adapters that are wired to maintain the AF capabilities of legacy lenses (unlike our manual focus Pentax glass). otherwise the adapter is basically a small extension tube with a different mount on either end. Go for it and have fun. What pentax lenses do you have?

Both pictures using a Minolta MD 35-70mm f3.5 Macro adapted on a Lumix G3
5484589_orig.jpg

2027414_orig.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I'll have to pull out my pentax lenses and list the specs. More or less a 50mm, a macro, a telephoto, and maybe some more. I've got a hutch in my living room with all sorts of goodies. 3-4 K1000's, Canon AE-1, Brownie, Argus (made into the leather case), Instamatic, Diana F+, etc.

Also, what does everyone think of the new flickr? I really like the full resolution uploads, and the new photostream layout is snazzy.

Edit: I used it a bit more, and it's a bit buggy still. Hopefully everything will get fixed soon.

Last edited:
Also, what does everyone think of the new flickr? I really like the full resolution uploads, and the new photostream layout is snazzy.

Edit: I used it a bit more, and it's a bit buggy still. Hopefully everything will get fixed soon.

Whoa! it looks exactly like the phone app now. I think we're gonna start seeing more apps/websites move this way. Even Facebook looks almost the same on the phone and on the internet now. It's cool..I like it.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more backlash from the new facebook layout. I kind of like that too. Looks like they got the photostream browsing browsing issues fixed in the hours I was out as well.

Here's a handful from Friday's pit walk:

Austin 400 Pit/Paddock by R3d Baron, on Flickr

V8 Supercars are awesome, I'm super happy to see them in the states!

Thanks Jon!

Marc, I love V8 Supercars. I drop the 40 bucks or so every year to get the live streams and race replays since broadcasts are unreliable in the states. Best racing on the planet imo!

Back