Any photographers in here?

thanks everyone, truly means a lot. only place i really shoot is in the pacific northwest, all within a couple hours of seattle, washington.

Messing with DOF

I love messing around with DOF and took the opportunity on this shot to show off. It looks like the sword is coming through a force field. All in camera no PS filters just my 50mm and diff focusing point.

4939022411_2e0e8955e8_b.jpg

THe angle of the sword is not good. It also looks like it's got a dull edge etc. There really isn't a nice focus on it. Not as sharp anyways. It would've been better if you focused on the sword's tip not the flat part of the blade.

Question for those who shoot with Canon bodies: Under the user settings, what do the different options mean under "Picture Style?" It gives me the options of "Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, and Monochrome." Any thoughts?

I'm sitting here now trying to take pictures of back-lit hummingbirds in my backyard and found the button with the setting, no idea what it does though...

those picture styles are like presets for in camera processing. try all of them but take the same picture, u'll see the saturation, contrast, etc will all be a bit different

the picture styles only affect your photos if you're in JPG mode. If you're shooting in RAW, they don't do anything to your photos, but they do make the preview you see on the camera's LCD screen look different. They're handy if you're shooting an event, as they make SOOC images look a little better if you know what you're doing.

They are not "modes." They are styles... You can adjust the sharpening, contrast, saturation and something else... I don't remember what. Anyway, if you shoot in RAW, don't worry about them.

it'd be better if there was more in the pic than essentially negative space around the emblem... definitely gives the focal point effect though.

Back