2019 CX-5 Brake light flashing after 2 week vacation

:
CX5
Came home from a two week vacation and car barely started. After it started, my parking break light began flashing on the dashboard and on the physical device. The P! on the dashboard is also flashing. Any ideas on what to do. I read online I could replace the battery and the light will go or should I go to the dealership?

Came home from a two week vacation and car barely started. After it started, my parking break light began flashing on the dashboard and on the physical device. The P! on the dashboard is also flashing. Any ideas on what to do. I read online I could replace the battery and the light will go or should I go to the dealership?
What year is your CX-5?

If yous is a 2016 and newer, which uses electrical parking brake (EPB), your problem simply indicates your battery is weak and the EPB usually will complain first before you can’t start the engine.

Go to Costco to get an Interstate Group 35 battery if you want to replace the battery by yourself, or take the CX-5 to WalMart to have them replace the battery for you with an EverStart Maxx Group 35 battery.

What year is your CX-5?

If yous is a 2016 and newer, which uses electrical parking brake (EPB), your problem simply indicates your battery is weak and the EPB usually will complain first before you can’t start the engine.

Go to Costco to get an Interstate Group 35 battery if you want to replace the battery by yourself, or take the CX-5 to WalMart to have them replace the battery for you with an EverStart Maxx Group 35 battery.

Thanks buddy. It's a 2019. I actually resoved on its own the next day but I will go get those two batteries you recommend the next time I need them. Will they work for the 2019 CX5?

Thanks buddy. It's a 2019. I actually resoved on its own the next day but I will go get those two batteries you recommend the next time I need them. Will they work for the 2019 CX5?
The problem has resolved on its own that’s because the battery got charged up when you drove around a bit. Since you have a 2019 CX-5 and your battery is about time to replace with the sign of weak battery after 2 weeks of sitting. You should consider to get battery replaced at your earliest convenience as the winter is coming. Weak battery will give you the EPB warning.

Yes, all Mazda vehicles take Group 35 battery.

Since you have a 2019 CX-5 and your battery is about time to replace with the sign of weak battery after 2 weeks of sitting.
Just did my original 2019 GTR battery a couple weeks ago with the Costco Interstate battery. Easy enough swap took maybe 15 minutes. When I had the vehicle serviced in late summer I was told the original battery was definitely well below original capacity. FWIW I asked the Mazda dealer what it would cost to swap the battery out there, $275. I had just put one from Costco in my wife's Outback so I knew the price. $120 & 15 minutes of my time.

I must be living on borrowed time, as far as my battery is concerned anyways.

I still have the original battery in my 2016.5 CX and as far as I can tell, it's still going strong.

Same thing in my 2016 MX. Lucky me, I guess?

I do use a battery tender on all of my vehicles. I move it around weekly and use it year-round between all of them. Does that factor into my battery's apparent long life? Dunno.

Last edited:
Just did my original 2019 GTR battery a couple weeks ago with the Costco Interstate battery. Easy enough swap took maybe 15 minutes. When I had the vehicle serviced in late summer I was told the original battery was definitely well below original capacity. FWIW I asked the Mazda dealer what it would cost to swap the battery out there, $275. I had just put one from Costco in my wife's Outback so I knew the price. $120 & 15 minutes of my time.
Auto battery price has gone up a lot! Costco Interstate Group 35 battery was $78.99 with 36-month replacement / 60-month prorated warranty before pandemic. Now it’s $119.99 with only 36-month prorated warranty.

Mazda OEM battery made by Interstate was $139.99 pre-pandemic. Now it’s $199.99 MSRP with 36-month replacement / 60-month prorated warranty.

⋯ I still have the original battery in my 2016.5 CX and as far as I can tell, it's still going strong.
I’ve been saying the 2916.5 CX-5 is the best among all MYs. That includes your battery too ⋯ ;)

The longest battery life I’ve seen is a good friend of mine in Connecticut whose OEM battery in his 2003 Lexus LX 470 lasted 13 years and 100,000 miles at the time he sold the LX!

Yeah, funny thing is that it is less time and hassle for me to do something like that myself than to schedule appointment, travel to and from, and wait for the dealer. Plus I know it will be done correctly - or at least I am a witness to what transpired - when I do it myself.

That's all aside from costing 1/2 as much and having much more freedom in pursuing a remedy if something goes wrong.

... I do use a battery tender on all of my vehicles. I move it around weekly and use it year-round between all of them. Does that factor into my battery's apparent long life? Dunno
I would say that's a big part the health of your aging batteries.

Do you keep the electrolyte level filled up as well? I think that plays a role in the lifespan of these batteries. I would say many if not the majority of Mazda owners never check their electrolyte level and add distilled water as necessary.

I would say that's a big part the health of your aging batteries.

Do you keep the electrolyte level filled up as well? I think that plays a role in the lifespan of these batteries. I would say many if not the majority of Mazda owners never check their electrolyte level and add distilled water as necessary.

Yes, I should have mentioned this. I regularly check the electrolyte levels and top up with distilled water as needed.

If you drive your vehicle often and keep the battery fully charged most of the time, the battery lasts much longer. There is chemistry behind this. Not by luck.
Owners who drive their vehicles occasionally (once every few days) and mostly for short trips. Don't expect your batteries to last long. 2-3 yrs, typical.

Ok so with the quick research I have done on the parts cost( tensioner and both belts), the tensioner has been superseeded by new part # PE03-15-980C and can be had for $126 from a reputable mazda parts dealer online. List price is $186. The waterpump belt PY01-15-908 is $18 from the same dealer, list price $22 and the serpentine belt PY01-15-909A is $39. Add a little shipping and you are still nowhere near $535. Sounds like they are charging you over list markup on the parts AND labor. Not cool. See what they say after they contact Mazda. Definitely replace both belts but if they say no help from Mazda then go to the parts dept and ask them if they will pricematch an online Mazda dealer parts price and buy the parts and hand them to service!

Auto battery price has gone up a lot! Costco Interstate Group 35 battery was $78.99 with 36-month replacement / 60-month prorated warranty before pandemic. Now it’s $119.99 with only 36-month prorated warranty.

Mazda OEM battery made by Interstate was $139.99 pre-pandemic. Now it’s $199.99 MSRP with 36-month replacement / 60-month prorated warranty.
So I've never replaced a battery by myself. Any good youtube clip or tutorial to do it? I will try to get that done this weekend when I stop by Costco.

If you drive to just about any national car parts store, they will test the battery for you while still in the car.

Back