2018 CX-5 with E-Brake Flashing Light

:
2018 CX5 GT, Metallic Machine Gray and 2018 MX5 RF GT, Soul Red
The red e-brake on the dash and on the brake toggle is orange light is also on. Also, on the dash the e-brake malfunction light is a solid orange. I can engage the e-brake and turn it on/off but the warning lights remain the same. Except, every once in a while all the warning lights will go out for about 5 seconds and then come back on.

Last Thursday our area received heavy rains with isolated tornado winds. I got caught out in the storm and had to drive through some deeper water (6 inches) that splashed the under cartridge of the vehicle. I drove for about 10 minutes going through the water and another 30 minutes on wet roads. No warning lights. The vehicle has been parked until this morning and when started the flashing e-brake started. Is the water the potential cause and will it dry out or, should I be looking for something else? Oh, yea the rear brakes were serviced 19 months ago and the garage was aware of the “maintenance” mode.

Thanks,

Wade

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion... but switching it in and out of maintenance mode didn't correct the issue.

I'm guessing water made it's way in the circuit somewhere and did some damage while sitting, maybe with the caliper motor? Did you try disconnecting the battery for a bit? And yeah, scan for code's.
Also, maybe pull the plugs off the motors and make sure there's no corrosion with the connectors, hit it with some contact cleaner/lubricant

Last edited:
The red e-brake on the dash and on the brake toggle is orange light is also on. Also, on the dash the e-brake malfunction light is a solid orange. I can engage the e-brake and turn it on/off but the warning lights remain the same. Except, every once in a while all the warning lights will go out for about 5 seconds and then come back on.

Last Thursday our area received heavy rains with isolated tornado winds. I got caught out in the storm and had to drive through some deeper water (6 inches) that splashed the under cartridge of the vehicle. I drove for about 10 minutes going through the water and another 30 minutes on wet roads. No warning lights. The vehicle has been parked until this morning and when started the flashing e-brake started. Is the water the potential cause and will it dry out or, should I be looking for something else? Oh, yea the rear brakes were serviced 19 months ago and the garage was aware of the “maintenance” mode.

Thanks,

Wade
You should try the maintenance mode in and out several times like @madar suggested. While doing that listen to the motor sound and make sure they’re moving.

How old is your battery? In my case I had these EPB warning lights with a weak battery even though I could start the engine without any problems.

Yes it could be the water getting into the EPB brake caliper and motor areas (may be because the brake job didn’t do right to prevent water getting in?) and caused problems. Or the water got into the EPB control module? A ABS capable code reader should be able to tell the possible problem like @edmaz suggested.

BTW, if your 2018 CX5 GT is an AWD, make sure to change the gear lube in the rear differential (might as well the front transfer case) ASAP or your rear differential could get damage due to the water intrusion.

"try disconnecting the battery for a bit?" ... I tried this but it didn't resolve the issuse

"How old is your battery?" ... original battery. Multimeter tests as follows 12.36 battery disconnected; 12.18 with battery connected and 13.75 with engine running.

"Motor sound and make sure they’re moving." ... yes I can hear the motors running when the e-brake is turned on/off using the e-brake toggle switch.

"Scan for codes using a tool capable reading the ABS system." ... reaching to a neighbor to see if his scanner will work on a Mazda.

"try disconnecting the battery for a bit?" ... I tried this but it didn't resolve the issuse

"How old is your battery?" ... original battery. Multimeter tests as follows 12.36 battery disconnected; 12.18 with battery connected and 13.75 with engine running.

"Motor sound and make sure they’re moving." ... yes I can hear the motors running when the e-brake is turned on/off using the e-brake toggle switch.

"Scan for codes using a tool capable reading the ABS system." ... reaching to a neighbor to see if his scanner will work on a Mazda.
Any news on this?

The battery was the original and as noted above low test scores. So I replaced it with a new battery on Wednesday and the issue is still present. I have an appointment on Monday morning to have a dealer do a diagnostic on the issue. I will report back once I get it back from the dealer and likely start a “go fund me” page to help pay for the bill 😀.

Update... just returned from the dealer. The vehicle had fault codes C112A and C2005 present. Diagnosis was that both rear actuators were slipping. The repair was to replace both actuators. The mechanic doing the work didn't know if the issue was water related (electrical short out) or that they simply failed from some other reason. He noted that he is seeing an increase in actuator repairs this past year on 4+ year old vehicles.

Last edited:
Update... just returned from the dealer. The vehicle had fault codes C112A and C2005 present. Diagnosis was that both rear actuators were slipping. The repair was to replace both actuators. The mechanic doing the work didn't know if the issue was water related (electrical short out) or that they simply failed from some other reason. He noted that he is seeing an increase in actuator repairs this past year on 4+ year old vehicles.
Thanks for the update!

When you say “actuator”, do you mean the EPB motor or the rear disk brake caliper which includes EPB mechanism? If you can find the part number for this “actuator” or post the invoice with such info that would be great.

There’s a TSB for EPB rear disk brake caliper failure but that only applies to 2016 and part of 2016.5 CX-5’s. And the updated calipers had been introduced into production since then.

3ADE0735-7273-47B0-84F6-F99F51F64862.jpeg

478E6EB4-9C4A-419E-BC5C-23BFA57954A5.jpeg

81D02571-C86A-44F1-8C7B-C6730A1A60BE.jpeg

8649F71C-914E-44E2-BD7B-4AC6E1BD73A3.jpeg

9DC87070-4045-4132-97BB-A4DAE0CF8BE7.jpeg

A461B123-B018-47AC-8D03-9DA007FCE09D.jpeg

Yeah, those things can't last forever. Do you use your parking brake a lot?

yrwei24 - the part number is MAZ-KA0G-268EXA (rear actuators unit, motor)

madar - no I don't use the parking brake very often.

yrwei24 - the part number is MAZ-KA0G-268EXA (rear actuators unit, motor)
Here is a TSB related to DTC C112A and C2005 / C2006.

TSB 04-002/15: Elecrtric Parking Brake (EPB) Warning Light On / EPB Will Not Release in Cold Weather

48D4F493-EBA3-4A9D-AD97-559FB3D2F21F.jpeg

And if you’re getting C2005 (RH), not C2006 (LH), only your RH EPB motor gear unit is failing. This TSB is calling to replace both motor gear unit and the disk caliper. But both of yours should be the updated version on your 2018 CX-5.

My guess is still somehow the water got into the motor gear unit on the right side, could be the previous brake job somehow didn’t put the motor back properly?

Again, if your 2018 CX-5 is an AWD, make sure to change at least the gear oil in rear differential ASAP as you‘ve driven through the deep water.

Latest posts

Back