2016 CX9 Owners Thread

sometimes if you click on a different function (like "Communication") and then back to NAV it works. worth a try at least.

When I had this issue today morning I click the Audio function and then back and still the NAV never loads.

It is definitely a software issue, but for all the work the design team has done in this car, the support and the engineers has s*** all over it with the infotainment system. The software is complete garbage and they don't seem to give a f*** to fix it. Replacing the unit will not do much, I want to avoid it too, but I'm going to do it. I'm going to make sure they spend lots and lots of money on fixing a problem that will keep coming back. It's an stupidity tax and it makes me feel better since I am pretty much pissed off every single morning driving to work bc the goddamn system fails. It's ok at first, then it just becomes annoying.
I'm an engineer myself... If they really wanted to, this problems would've been fixed... You can get into a Honda civic which cost half ass much and not have this ridiculous problems.
It's a good car, it'll never be great with the support Mazda gives it. We're all now in the honeymoon stage with out new purchase, but these issues will get old and very annoying soon... Then you'll find out your out of warranty and ******.
I'm currently not recommending any of my friends to buy this car... Just based on the frustration with the infotainment system.
/Rantover

I don't know if your issue is more serious than mine but I believe is very risky to swap electronic modules when we know this is a software/firmware issue (At least in my case: reboot, not black screen and unable to use it until unit is powered off and turned on again)

I don't know if your issue is more serious than mine but I believe is very risky to swap electronic modules when we know this is a software/firmware issue (At least in my case: reboot, not black screen and unable to use it until unit is powered off and turned on again)

I rather them not change it, but what else can I do? I am almost 100% sure Mazda won't fix this problem and I don't want to drive this car for the rest of its life crashing every other day. I basically start driving, the screen goes blank and I can't just pull out to the side and turn off my car and start it again...It's ridiculous. I'm going to call Mazda again tomorrow. Already reached out to them via email..of course, I always get the same lame ass excuse.

I rather them not change it, but what else can I do? I am almost 100% sure Mazda won't fix this problem and I don't want to drive this car for the rest of its life crashing every other day. I basically start driving, the screen goes blank and I can't just pull out to the side and turn off my car and start it again...It's ridiculous. I'm going to call Mazda again tomorrow. Already reached out to them via email..of course, I always get the same lame ass excuse.
But you must request the unit change because your issue is more complex.

I just have the reboot issue. You have the crash/hang issue.

You can have a hardware problem.

I must have a software/firmware/bug issue.

Enviado desde mi SM-G800M mediante Tapatalk

Just a thought guys, maybe try deleting some text messages or emails? To make room for the infotainment internal memory?

I know on my old CX9 it stopped loading text messages once the miniscule internal memory was full, on the old CX9, once I deleted the text messages from my phone and when it paired up to sync since there was no messages to sync the system started working properly again.

I'm thinking that's why when the car is new or during test drives everything is perfect because the memory is empty, but as days go by and more and more emails/texts gets downloaded to the car the internal memory gets full and the system bogs down and crashes? Because it has no more memory to run critical tasks sort of like desktop computers blue screen of death when memory is full or corrupted.

I don't have the new CX9 so not sure if you can delete directly from the infotainment or if you clear messages from your phone and the next time it syncs it clear out the memory and solves the issue. just a thought...

For those owners with really bad rebooting issues, maybe disconnect battery ? So infotainment system will clear out it's internal memory? And perform like the first day you got the car? If it works, you'll still need to figure out a way to prevent the memory from filling up again, maybe delete texts or messages after they're read. Or don't sync emails or texts to the car.

Just be forewarned though, when you disconnect, all your car settings and preferences will be lost so do it only if you really need to. Also, disconnecting the battery also resets your emissions monitors so you have to do drive cycles for them to set again, if they're not set you won't pass inspection, I learned that the hard way.

Last edited:
Just a thought guys, maybe try deleting some text messages or emails? To make room for the infotainment internal memory?

I know on my old CX9 it stopped loading text messages once the miniscule internal memory was full, on the old CX9, once I deleted the text messages from my phone and when it paired up to sync since there was no messages to sync the system started working properly again.

I'm thinking that's why when the car is new or during test drives everything is perfect because the memory is empty, but as days go by and more and more emails/texts gets downloaded to the car the internal memory gets full and the system bogs down and crashes? Because it has no more memory to run critical tasks sort of like desktop computers blue screen of death when memory is full or corrupted.

I don't have the new CX9 so not sure if you can delete directly from the infotainment or if you clear messages from your phone and the next time it syncs it clear out the memory and solves the issue. just a thought...

For those owners with really bad rebooting issues, maybe disconnect battery ? So infotainment system will clear out it's internal memory? And perform like the first day you got the car? If it works, you'll still need to figure out a way to prevent the memory from filling up again, maybe delete texts or messages after they're read. Or don't sync emails or texts to the car.

Just be forewarned though, when you disconnect, all your car settings and preferences will be lost so do it only if you really need to. Also, disconnecting the battery also resets your emissions monitors so you have to do drive cycles for them to set again, if they're not set you won't pass inspection, I learned that the hard way.
The reebot in my system happens even when I don't have an smartphone or usb memory connected.

The reboot in my system happens even when I don't have an smartphone or usb memory connected.

understood,

but I mean with nothing connected

still go into "COMMUNICATIONS" and under "TEXT" and "EMAIL"

delete the text messages and e-mails that are still there local to the infotainment database / memory

to make more memory space

understood,

but I mean with nothing connected

still go into "COMMUNICATIONS" and under "TEXT" and "EMAIL"

delete the text messages and e-mails that are still there local to the infotainment database / memory

to make more memory space

thanks. will try.

This car is starting to sound like a fancy wrapper over cheap internals. Sucky infotainment, handrests and door panels that easily dent,lack of a plethora of features. I was really hoping to buy one. Very happy with the Sorento now.

This car is starting to sound like a fancy wrapper over cheap internals. Sucky infotainment, handrests and door panels that easily dent,lack of a plethora of features. I was really hoping to buy one. Very happy with the Sorento now.

c'mon that's a bit harsh, Sorento is a great suv but every new car will have teething problems,

but be honest, for the average joe if he knew nothing about the cars and you asked him to pick Sorento or new CX-9 based
only on styling both fully loaded to the hilt with their respective top trim, leather, wood , LEDs, which one do you think he will pick ? 100% he will pick the CX-9 on styling. I see so many Sorentos it's not unique anymore, I've only seen one black CX9 so far in NYC ! yes only one since release, it was almost like xmas when I saw it one the street, I shouted to my wife that's the new CX-9!!! LOL

at the end of the day, we're all Mazda enthusiasts who want a great vehicle, so I commend the new buyers for stepping up to the plate and giving us future potential buyers real world feedback, so to that I say thank you. hopefully the infotainment will get resolved, I think Avidien has a point, start unloading all those useless emails and text from the head unit to clear up memory.

Last edited:
Cheap internals?. I'm pretty sure the unit have high end / low tolerance Japan electronic components. Issue with the reboot needs to be addressed but I can assure you I have a happy face every single day we drive this thing.

My hand rest and door panels are great
, no issues at all.

So far very happy with the unit!

Cheap internals?. I'm pretty sure the unit have high end / low tolerance Japan electronic components. Issue with the reboot needs to be addressed but I can assure you I have a happy face every single day we drive this thing.

My hand rest and door panels are great
, no issues at all.

So far very happy with the unit!

speaking of armrest, I just noticed this, the cup holders are right in between the command controls and the arm rest, that's no problem when the cupholders are vacant but what happens when you have a large iced coffee there, wouldn;t that get in the way ? my CX-5 has the cup holders towards the passenger side and clear path to the command control wheel.

wu5jz5.jpg

the new Sorento is hot, I'll give you that, those new foglights look so much better now than the previous Microsoft Windows type

2zsohtw.jpg

176e4i.jpg

I might have been a bit harsh but that is mainly because of my high expectations from this car. I really expected Mazda to get this one right given that the competition already had benchmarked certain mandatory features like pana roof, surround view camera, ventilated seats, carplay, android auto, etc.

I think my Mazda6 GT is a much better executed car than the CX9 and I won't hesitate to buy one again. But not only they didn't offer the above features but they stripped some of the existing features from the previous CX9 like power folding mirrors, proper 10-way seats, live and free traffic, etc.

i waited for the new CX9 to arrive for more almost a year delaying my 7-seater SUV purchase and somehow managing without one with our large family. Otherwise I would have got a the 2016 Sorento back in Mar-Apr 2015.

And I think the Sorento in white looks better than the CX9

Last edited:
I might have been a bit harsh but that is mainly because of my high expectations from this car. I really expected Mazda to get this one right given that the competition already had benchmarked certain mandatory features like pana roof, surround view camera, ventilated seats, carplay, android auto, etc.

I think my Mazda6 GT is a much better executed car than the CX9 and I won't hesitate to buy one again. But not only they didn't offer the above features but they stripped some of the existing features from the previous CX9 like power folding mirrors, proper 10-way seats, live and free traffic, etc.

i waited for the new CX9 to arrive for more almost a year delaying my 7-seater SUV purchase and somehow managing without one with our large family. Otherwise I would have got a the 2016 Sorento back in Mar-Apr 2015.

And I think the Sorento in white looks better than the CX9

I don't even know what your thinking or if you're looking at that picture closely. Does that look like a CX-9 to you if shall I say you're comparing it side by side?

Last edited:
I don't even know what your thinking or if you're looking at that picture closely. Does that look like a CX-9 to you if shall I say you're comparing it side by side?

Striker you are right !!

I thought OP was comparing Sorento to old CX-9 but looking closer, that's not even a CX-9 ,

that's a CX-5 !!!
tell tale sign is the lack of chrome surrounding on the side windows.

here's a real side by side:

2ly2v46.jpg

Last edited:
Savagegeese finally has his review up. If you haven't watched his videos, he does a unique take on car reviews and offers the best auto review videography than anyone, including the big companies.

I very well know how the new CX-9 looks. I didn't say the car in the picture is a CX9. I am a Mazda6 owner and I can differentiate between a CX5 and CX9 even at night.

Savagegeese finally has his review up. If you haven't watched his videos, he does a unique take on car reviews and offers the best auto review videography than anyone, including the big companies.

Yes, savagegeese videos are pretty good but being a sportscar guy he mostly focusses on the technical details and not on features, legroom, etc. Him, Alex on Autos, Redline Reviews, Fast Lane Car (sometimes lame), Everyman Driver (even lamer), CarQuestion (very detailed), MotomanTV are some youtube reviewers I regularly follow.

Interesting thing I saw in there is why the hell Mazda decided to have such a huge hump for the driveshaft connecting to the clutch pack? You can probably fit a F150 driveshaft in there. Some things about this car just make me mad (scratch)(shrug)(huh)(notcool)(pissed)(bang)(mad). Only thing I love is the looks and the drive but I am not buying a Miata. I also want a practical family hauler.

Definitely great videography, but honestly, the most boring reviewer I have ever experienced. Great info and honesty in the review, making sure to point out the good and bad, but it's a good thing I watched this in the morning after a good night's sleep. Otherwise, it would be a great way to help put myself to sleep at night.

Latest posts

Back