2016 CX9 Owners Thread

Like spotting a unicorn at home in NYC.

2el9t1d.jpg

I was planning to go with the Machine Grey but after seeing this, I'm going with the Deep Crystal Blue Mica, thx

I was planning to go with the Machine Grey but after seeing this, I'm going with the Deep Crystal Blue Mica, thx
Oh yes this color is nice!. This machine looks great and I believe will look better with all windows tinted!

Enviado desde mi SM-G800M mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:
Agree, I do window tintng myself, and there's absolutely no reason to remove the door panels, applying window tinting is so easy these days, everything is already pre-cut by lasers not like the old days of using straight edges and razor blades.

The computer program will have the exact shape of the CX-9 window, the laser cuts it exactly by Mazda spec plus the computer adds about 1 to 2 inches of film at the bottom, that extra film is tucked into the rubber seals at the window base,

then it's just a matter of just tucking in the extra film using standard non-marring window application tools.
no need to remove door panels

here's a perfect example, so easy to install yourself, lubricant spray he's using is baby shampoo and distilled water 1:8 ratio is good

although he uses way more water then needed, I just use the baby shampoo and water in spray bottle.

pre-cut front window tints go for like $9 on ebay, if you do it yourself, you can save a lot of money. And if you mess up, you can just peel off and get new film and redo.

Thanks! Good to know. I guess I went to the only shop that removes panels for Mazdas... F***! It was pretty expensive too. I like the $9 idea.

Thanks! Good to know. I guess I went to the only shop that removes panels for Mazdas... F***! It was pretty expensive too. I like the $9 idea.

This is the first time I hear the panels needs to be removed for any car. I believe if I want to tint a car or SUV and the provider wants to remove my panels I will believe I'm in a camera show or is just a joke.

Hey yall, quick question. I'm confused by the oil required in the 2016 cx 9. In the manual it says to use SAE 5-30 genuine Mazda (or other branded oil). However, it makes no mention of full synthetic, which is usually recommended for turbo engines. What oil is actually used in the cx 9?

Hey yall, quick question. I'm confused by the oil required in the 2016 cx 9. In the manual it says to use SAE 5-30 genuine Mazda (or other branded oil). However, it makes no mention of full synthetic, which is usually recommended for turbo engines. What oil is actually used in the cx 9?

You can use a conventional SAE 5W30 in the Skyactiv Turbo with no problems. Conventional oils are really good today and perform exceptionally well to handle the high heat and temps of DI/Turbos.
Pennzoil Yellow Bottle is one of the top rated.

If it helps you sleep at night though, for the minimal difference in cost, just go ahead and use a synthetic.
I am using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30.

I already asked your same question on BITOG... see here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...60/New_CX-9_SkyactivG_Turbo_Engin#Post4186860

You can use a conventional SAE 5W30 in the Skyactiv Turbo with no problems. Conventional oils are really good today and perform exceptionally well to handle the high heat and temps of DI/Turbos.
Pennzoil Yellow Bottle is one of the top rated.

If it helps you sleep at night though, for the minimal difference in cost, just go ahead and use a synthetic.
I am using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30.

I already asked your same question on BITOG... see here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...60/New_CX-9_SkyactivG_Turbo_Engin#Post4186860

Hey, thanks for your help and info. I just called a few different Mazda dealerships, some state they use conventional, one says they use a blend, the other full synthetic. Why is there no continuity in the oil used? Guess it will depend which dealership you go to..

Had my CX-9 serviced at a local dealership before heading out to a long trip last month. They used full synthetic but only set 5000 miles for the next oil change. I believe the full synthetic should last much longer. Is it because of the turbo engine?

Had my CX-9 serviced at a local dealership before heading out to a long trip last month. They used full synthetic but only set 5000 miles for the next oil change. I believe the full synthetic should last much longer. Is it because of the turbo engine?

5k is recommended in the manual I believe. Did the dealership mention anything as to why they use full synthetic?

My car has been at the dealership for 2 days. They kept it to troubleshoot the infotainment system screen going blank. They gave me the option to wait for a software update or replace the unit. I chose to replace it. Today they called saying after they ordered the unit, Mazda said that wasn't the issue and it wasn't authorizing the repair. Said that the problem will be fixed with a software update coming in two weeks. So be on the look out for a new software update that can possible fix whatever bugs you're having with your system. Call your local dealer in 2-3 weeks.

My car has been at the dealership for 2 days. They kept it to troubleshoot the infotainment system screen going blank. They gave me the option to wait for a software update or replace the unit. I chose to replace it. Today they called saying after they ordered the unit, Mazda said that wasn't the issue and it wasn't authorizing the repair. Said that the problem will be fixed with a software update coming in two weeks. So be on the look out for a new software update that can possible fix whatever bugs you're having with your system. Call your local dealer in 2-3 weeks.

Let's hope this is the case. I haven't had the issue, but I also don't use the nav.

Thanks for the update.
I've had mine randomly reboot a couple of times and refuse to properly boot after a brief stop at a store on one occasion.
A hard reset cured the no-boot issue.

BTW, I have the same infotainment system in my '16 MX-5 Miata and it operates properly at all times.

Hi All, New to the forum. Its time to add another vehicle to the family and after much debate zoomed into 2 - Mazda Cx9 2016 and Acura MDX 2017. While I am yet to drive the new 2017 MDX...i did test drive the 2016 model and the Cx 9. I quite didn't like the drive handling of MDX against the CX9, however the specs around HP, CC, top speed, towing capacity, acceleration on higher speed ranges (to be honest, this one is from online reviews) and reliability appear better for MDX. Not sure if 2017 MDX has improved the handling

All insights/opinions are welcome...will help me assess better

Thanks for the update.
I've had mine randomly reboot a couple of times and refuse to properly boot after a brief stop at a store on one occasion.
A hard reset cured the no-boot issue.

BTW, I have the same infotainment system in my '16 MX-5 Miata and it operates properly at all times.

I heard back from the dealer, they said that the update WILL fix this problem ... "It's not a maybet a will" ... Apparently it has to do with how all the features in certain trims communicate with each other.

I heard back from the dealer, they said that the update WILL fix this problem ... "It's not a maybet a will" ... Apparently it has to do with how all the features in certain trims communicate with each other.

i'm skeptical that will fix it because my experience is that the infotainment crashes (reboots) more often in my CX-5 than my CX-9. this suggests to me the bugs are not just based on car internals but variables that mazda cannot control such as what phones people are connecting via bluetooth...for example, my CX-5 did it more when i used my old 2014 Moto X vs. now with my newer Nexus 6P. it actually hasn't happened much since those days and i never did a firmware update (unless the dealership did it without telling me when i was doing my recall a few months ago).

i'm skeptical that will fix it because my experience is that the infotainment crashes (reboots) more often in my CX-5 than my CX-9. this suggests to me the bugs are not just based on car internals but variables that mazda cannot control such as what phones people are connecting via bluetooth...for example, my CX-5 did it more when i used my old 2014 Moto X vs. now with my newer Nexus 6P. it actually hasn't happened much since those days and i never did a firmware update (unless the dealership did it without telling me when i was doing my recall a few months ago).

Even when there is a relationship between the reboot and the smartphone brand/model used, I see the reboot issue happening even when I don't have an smartphone connected.

Yes, my wife Android Galaxy A5 weeks ago was connected and 3 seconds later the unit reboots.

But after the reboot and 30 minutes, I even removed the USB memory and the unit reboot again. So is just a big bug on this thing. I don't experienced the reboot in the last 2 weeks but I don't used the NAV for 2 weeks now because I'm using the unit only for home - work. But 2 weeks ago we used the NAV to go near home and I get the reboot issue again.

I recently bought a 2016 CX 9 GT AWD. I am a long time Acura MDX owner (2004 model) so I definitely looked at the new Acura MDX because I was definitely biased towards it since our 2004 MDX model has been an incredible car. The reason I bought the CX 9 was the following:
- Price: The Acura SH-AWD w/Technology Package will most closely resemble the CX 9 GT AWD though the CX 9 will have a few additional features such as Head Up Display, Rear Parking Sensors and LED fog lamps. In spite of these additional features, you are going to have to pay approx $10,000 more for the Acura.
- Interior: I felt that the Mazda had a nicer interior and was less cluttered. The MDX has twin displays and it was much more cluttered with controls when compared to Mazda.
- Looks: I liked to looks of the Mazda better.
- Handling: The Mazda felt a lot sportier and more nimble.

On paper, the MDX has its advantages with regard to HP, top speed, etc and I was concerned with the CX 9 being a 4 cylinder but after driving the CX 9, I no longer had these concerns possibly due to the incredible torque that is available at low RPM. While my 2004 Acura MDX has been extremely reliable, I learnt (from the MDX forums) that the newer MDX models are certainly not as reliable. However, to protect myself from any potential reliability issues with the Mazda, I bought an extended warranty (8/100K).

full synthetic, which is usually recommended for turbo engines
It's all about heat. We know the turbocharger is very hot from the exhaust gas. If it holds the heat, conventional oil will bake to carbon (like a 97-04 VW). If the turbocharger gives up its heat to the coolant and the flow of oil, much less chance of a problem. Don't shut the engine off immediately at a freeway rest stop, for example. Let the engine idle a couple of minutes so the oil flow will carry off the heat.

Each dealership makes its own deal with an oil supplier. They'll get the cheapest bulk oil of any brand that meets spec, unless they want to offer a superior product for marketing reasons. They'll also try to shorten the oil change interval to get you in more often. The service department is the gold mine of the dealership. The more often they get you in, the more chance they have to sell you more service, needed or not. Also keep in mind that the service writer is paid on commission. If he doesn't sell enough service, he's out of a job.

Latest posts

Back