2014 CX5 2.5 fuel econ horrible

Sweet spot for me from observations seems to be 30-60 mph. I am at 28 mpg @256 miles with owning the cx5 for 4.5 days. Haven't filled up yet, that will be the real deal. I did notice the insta-meter is kinda jupy with its values. Mine shows 99mpg as i coast, and continues to show 99 until i am almost stopped which just isnt true. Also it pops up/down 4mpg when i am cruising without adjusting the gas, so im not taking the instant mpg readings too seriously yet.

It could be true because most modern cars today have the ability to shut off or lean out the fuel upon coasting in gear. My buddys very old Jeep Cherokee's instant mpg display reads 99 mpg when coasting too.

It wasnt that long ago that it was a big deal to own a small car that got 30 mpg. Hell my wife had a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta with a 2.0 liter four cylinder that only average 27 mpg mostly highway. Now if someone averages 27 mpg with their SUV they scream mutiny. Dont forget the EPA rates the CX5 with AWD as 26 mpg combined city and highway; If you get much above that combined than you're doing very good.

I was getting 24.8 since I have purchased it 2.5k miles ago.
I have never reset the counter. At my last fill up, I have reset the counter and now I'm getting way better numbers, almost 28MPG.

With another cold snap, mileage dipped a bit again. -25C or colder and windchills of -40C will do that I guess lol.

I've been fairly disappointed by the city mileage. I can hit 30.5 for a 2 hour highway trip no problem (so long as I keep it below 70 mph), but I drive about 5 miles in DC traffic to work and haven't been able to do better than 16-18 for city. I don't know how people are hitting 24-25 for city. I haven't seen much difference b/w summer and winter mileage (got mine in Aug). I'm at about 8000 miles now - first service done, and I'm super light on the pedal trying for those figures!

I've been fairly disappointed by the city mileage. I can hit 30.5 for a 2 hour highway trip no problem (so long as I keep it below 70 mph), but I drive about 5 miles in DC traffic to work and haven't been able to do better than 16-18 for city. I don't know how people are hitting 24-25 for city. I haven't seen much difference b/w summer and winter mileage (got mine in Aug). I'm at about 8000 miles now - first service done, and I'm super light on the pedal trying for those figures!
When we talk about "city" we mean short distances with a fair number of stops/starts for junctions, stop lights, etc. If you driving in constant stop and go traffic during rush hour, you would absolutely expect to see MUCH lower readings (just as you are in fact).

For all of those disappointed with the fuel economy and not understanding how others get so much better, there are probably two causes. First, and the single largest influence, and most difficult to quantify, is the driver. Yes, the driver. Speed is not really the key. How much you BRAKE is. If you are using your brakes a lot, then you are throwing away kinetic energy that you burned gasoline to get. Think about it. You are approaching a stop light. Do you lift long before the light or do you brake when you get much closer. Small changes make a big difference. A BIG difference.

I get about 10% better mileage than my wife, in the same vehicle, in the same area. Every time. She accelerates harder, brakes later and harder, and is more impatient in traffic. Makes about 2-3 mpg difference. Note that it is not a question of how fast you drive - it is how you accelerate and brake.

The other thing is the traffic. DC traffic can be horrible or just bad for mileage. If you sit and inch along, you are constantly accelerating (slightly) and braking. And repeating. Over and over. Heck, 16 mpg in that scenario may be good! If you are doing city traffic, stop light to stop light, and 20 mph average, then 25 mpg or better is possible.

The reality is that the Mazda 2.0 and 2.5l engines are some of the most efficient around, and when combined with the automatic, they make about the most efficient combination you will find. Maybe not the most efficient, but very good.

Really bad gas mileage

I just filled up for the 2nd time and got 16.2 mpg per the computer and 15.8 per hand calculations!!
I do live in Minnesota where it has been cold, but gosh these #s are so much lower than others are reporting here and everyplace else I read. It is highway/city combo driving and fairly short trips--usually about 10-20 min. I am certainly not a lead foot. Any thoughts--has anyone found anything mechanical causing low gas mileage that I should ask about?

I just filled up for the 2nd time and got 16.2 mpg per the computer and 15.8 per hand calculations!!
I do live in Minnesota where it has been cold, but gosh these #s are so much lower than others are reporting here and everyplace else I read. It is highway/city combo driving and fairly short trips--usually about 10-20 min. I am certainly not a lead foot. Any thoughts--has anyone found anything mechanical causing low gas mileage that I should ask about?
Drive 40 mph in 6th gear on a flat road. Check the instantaneous mpg. If it is 16mpg there is something wrong!

Short tips on cold days will definitely kill your MPG. It takes at least 10minutes of straight driving to get the car and its engine up to optimal running temps. I usually hover around 19MPG city driving for a bit before the meter starts showing 21MPG.

I do live in Minnesota where it has been cold, but gosh these #s are so much lower than others are reporting here and everyplace else I read.

Let me guess... you start your car and then go back inside the house while it "warms up".

Of course averaging zero MPG for an extended "warm up" is going to lower your overall MPG by a very significant margin.

Since starting this thread, it really is just my commute and NY/Long Island in general that is horrible on gas mileage.

The highways are not smooth sailing, people drive like idiots here and brake constantly forcing me to brake as well. Our expressways are pretty much stop and go between the hours of 8AM and 7PM.

The other day I was cruising on an empty expressway doing 70 and getting a instant MPG over 30 usually based on the slope.

I have a '14 GT FWD. My last tank was 31.5MPG in mixed driving. This is definitely higher than normal, which is around 29. Pretty sure I didn't do anything differently to account for the increased mileage, other than fill up at Costco instead of QT.

2014.5 CX-5 GT with Tech, coming up on three weeks old, first tank was 8.3 L per 100 km or 34.2 mpg, working on 40 ish mpg for the second tank so far.
trip is about 50 / 50 highway and city about 16 km each way to work and back.

Since starting this thread, it really is just my commute and NY/Long Island in general that is horrible on gas mileage.

The highways are not smooth sailing, people drive like idiots here and brake constantly forcing me to brake as well. Our expressways are pretty much stop and go between the hours of 8AM and 7PM.

The other day I was cruising on an empty expressway doing 70 and getting a instant MPG over 30 usually based on the slope.

The applicable horrid conditions on the Belt, BQE, Van Wyck, Cross Island, and LIE. My daily commute consists of the Belt, Cross Island, and LIE. I definitely know what you mean, especially this winter.

2014.5 CX-5 GT with Tech, coming up on three weeks old, first tank was 8.3 L per 100 km or 34.2 mpg, working on 40 ish mpg for the second tank so far.
trip is about 50 / 50 highway and city about 16 km each way to work and back.

This is for the gas engine??? I wouldn't have thought getting anywhere near 40 as an average was possible.

So far I only have 250 miles on my CX-5, but I'm only showing 19.8 MPG in my 2014.5 GT. I drive fairly open country roads but I'm in Minnesota, so it has been in the mid 20's to 30's.

Is this something that will improve soon? So far this isn't much better than my Tribute and that had a V6 and was 9 years old.

2014 GS - AWD in Calgary, AB Canada. Have 16xxxKm's on the suv and it just turned 1 year old last week. I have 9.5l/100km, this is with winters that have been on for the last 5 months. Drive is mostly commuting to work at 80km/hr route with stop lights, so average km/hr is 43 on the car.

PS. for those in Canada they have redone how the EPA estimates are done and the CX-5 went up ~1.3 km per 1000 km in each city and highway driving. This will be reflected on 2015 cars sold and you can go back and look up how your car would score under the new ratings.
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/fcr-rcf/publ...&onSearchLink=#1&pageSize=10&btnSearch=Search

Last edited:
So far I only have 250 miles on my CX-5, but I'm only showing 19.8 MPG in my 2014.5 GT. I drive fairly open country roads but I'm in Minnesota, so it has been in the mid 20's to 30's.

Is this something that will improve soon? So far this isn't much better than my Tribute and that had a V6 and was 9 years old.

I'm in the Twin Cities area (suburbs to UMN commute) with a 2014 CX-5 Touring. (I don't know what the difference is between a 2014.5 and 2014; mine is 6 weeks old with around 1500 miles now.)

I noticed that mine started out quite low as well - low 20's if I recall. It's been steadily working its way up and is around 28 now.

I also had a Trib! Had the first year model ... 2001? Can't remember now. Replaced it with the CX-5. Other than the horrible bluetooth interface with my iPhone and the awful voice recognition (Why does it always think I said "phone call" EVERY FIRST TIME I say "shuffle all" and then when I cancel and repeat the same command it gets it the second time? WHY? ARRRRGH! I have to say "shuffle all" twice every damn time I drive the car.) I *really* like my CX-5 a lot. I do miss the comparative roominess of my Trib, but ... after 14 years it was time to say good bye. (Actually, it's still sitting in my driveway waiting for me to decide what to do with it. Loved that SUV.)

Today I averaged 30.6 mpg on a 200 mile trip, at average of 69 mph. Weather was calm, 68 degrees.

I'm in the Twin Cities area (suburbs to UMN commute) with a 2014 CX-5 Touring. (I don't know what the difference is between a 2014.5 and 2014; mine is 6 weeks old with around 1500 miles now.)

I noticed that mine started out quite low as well - low 20's if I recall. It's been steadily working its way up and is around 28 now.

I also had a Trib! Had the first year model ... 2001? Can't remember now. Replaced it with the CX-5. Other than the horrible bluetooth interface with my iPhone and the awful voice recognition (Why does it always think I said "phone call" EVERY FIRST TIME I say "shuffle all" and then when I cancel and repeat the same command it gets it the second time? WHY? ARRRRGH! I have to say "shuffle all" twice every damn time I drive the car.) I *really* like my CX-5 a lot. I do miss the comparative roominess of my Trib, but ... after 14 years it was time to say good bye. (Actually, it's still sitting in my driveway waiting for me to decide what to do with it. Loved that SUV.)

Good to hear the MPG gets better. I'm slowly getting used to the Bluetooth, resetting my iphone has improved the connection somewhat. I sold my Tribute on Craigslist last week and got KBB private seller value, so they hold their value if their clean and well maintained. Can't wait for 50 degrees on Sunday!

Back