2014 CX5 2.5 fuel econ horrible

I noticed this as well. You've got to put your foot in it to get the car moving, then ease up and coast if/when you can. Accelerating slowly will not help your fuel economy.

As an added bonus, it's more fun to drive this way as well.

(drive2)

+1 for this. Get up to speed quickly and cruise. Drive by the in dash MPG gauge.

And I'll third that! People around where I live blow their s*** up by unnecessarily braking (uphill?) and rolling away from stoplights.

The SkyActiv platform is pretty incredible though, as these have almost optimal fuel maps right out of the box, as most other new cars need to spend up to 3000 miles self-learning. At 600 miles I'm already at 24.4 driving 25-30mph. I'm halfway through the car's SECOND fill-up.

My 2012 GMC Terrain 2.4L only made 21.9 after 26K miles at an average speed of 25mph with ECO mode forced on. I made it about 300 miles on its first fill-up, and that was on an 18 gallon tank.

So, using basic math, say I get my CX-5 up to 26mpg combined over 31 months of ownership. Driving the same way, the car will save me 8 gallons of fuel per month, which is between $30-35. (And if you do the math even further, yes, that's a grand in your pocket every 2.5 years. Not too shabby!)

Last edited:
I timed my engines warm-up time this morning in 37 degree temps. Driving locally it took 7 minutes with traffic light stops. I can imagine it taking much longer in the 25s. Luckily I won't have the chance to test that as we are just about to see spring weather here in NJ.

Hmmmm....lets look at this. You don't have any CELs, but you get 10-15% lower fuel mileage than most others ~24 mpg), and up to 30% lower than some of the feather footers (~30 mpg) on here. You say you avoid stop and go, which, of course, is hard on mileage. It is cold in Minnesota this time of year, and your commute will take about half that to really warm up the car. One thing about the SkyActiv engines - they are slow to warm up and quick to cool down. Watching the actual water temp, the blue "cold" light goes off about 130F water temp. It can take me 3 miles or more to get the car temp anywhere close to 170F in 60 temperatures. I would say 10 miles in cold Minnesota winters is reasonable. And the fuel mileage sucks when the engine is cold!!

So, you could alter your driving style, which would improve your mileage by, I estimate, 10%, or you can complain about the car not getting much better mileage than your old Ford. :)

I reset the AVG MPG today and on my morning drive I got 26.5 MPG with no change to my driving style. I knew it wasn't my driving method, which is very conservative. I'm also very aware of hyper mile-ing and how to improve mileage.

I timed my engines warm-up time this morning in 37 degree temps. Driving locally it took 7 minutes with traffic light stops. I can imagine it taking much longer in the 25s. Luckily I won't have the chance to test that as we are just about to see spring weather here in NJ.
What do you mean by "warm up"? Till the blue light goes out? On my 3 that is at 130F water temp. The heater also starts working about there.

And that's not even fully warm, because if you crank the heater then, you're delaying engine warm-up by cooling the coolant via the heater core.

Dummy gauges are the death of society.

Yea that doesn't help when it's the oil and coolant temperature that are affecting MPG not O2 or cat temps.

The o2 & cat are warm plenty before the oil and coolant are.

Yea that doesn't help when it's the oil and coolant temperature that are affecting MPG not O2 or cat temps.

The o2 & cat are warm plenty before the oil and coolant are.

All cars run open loop until O2 sensor warms up causing them to run rich and burn extra gas. That happens pretty quickly though. The CX-5 is different from other cars in that it pumps raw gas into the header to warm it up so that cat will function. This is because of the 4-2-1 header overall length that cools down exhaust. I would guess there is a secondary O2 sensor after the CAT that computer uses to determine when CAT is hot. The quicker the CAT heats up, the quicker the computer shuts off excess gas burn.

That said you could be right about cold water temp causing engine to continue running rich, but that would be no different than any other car. What people are complaining about are excessively low MPG on cold starts. I think the CX-5 is uniquely sensitive to cold temps relative to other cars due to its method of heating up the CAT.

Shouldn't it therefore heat up the cat quicker and be more efficient?

Or are you saying due to the 4-2-1 it takes longer?

Shouldn't it therefore heat up the cat quicker and be more efficient?

Or are you saying due to the 4-2-1 it takes longer?

Right. The 4-2-1 (Tri-Y) header takes longer to pass heat to CAT than other cars. To my knowledge, the CX-5 is the first CAT equipped car with Tri-Y headers to successfully pass emissions. They did it by burning gas in the header on cold start. The Tri-Y allows 13:1 compression on 87 octane gas and lowers torque curve. Its the reason CX-5 is full second faster 0-60mph than CRV and Rav4. Only drawback is CX-5 eats gas on cold starts in cold winter areas.

While the heating the cat and the operating modes to do so may change quickly, maximum efficiency won't be obtained until the car is up to operating temp, which based on the OBDII water temp is around 170F or a little higher. This takes a long time for these cars, partly because of their manic attempts at light weight and reducing parasitic losses. And, as others have said, running the heater before it gets warm will make it take even longer. Thus hurting fuel mileage.

I find in cold weather that just using the heated seats (if you have them), helps greatly by the time your engine is warm, then turning on the heater. At least it works for me! Any one else?

Last edited:
I find in cold weather that just using the heated seats (if you have them), helps greatly by the time your engine is warm, then turning on the heater. At least it works for me! Any one else?

I have gotten in the habit of doing that as well. I usually wait 5-10 minutes after the blue light goes off before I use the heater. The seat heater is just enough to take the bite out of the cold.

I also agree with the comments about the car and cold weather. This car consumes tons of gas warming up. So, if you live in a very cold state and drive only a few miles, I could easily see getting 20-21 MPG. On days in SE PA where the temps were in the teens, and my drive was only 10 miles, I was right around there. Once the temps increased to 30-35, my milage went back up to 24 MPGfor that same short drive. Now, as the weather is getting closer to 40-50, I am getting closer to 25-26 MPG for that same short drive.

I have gotten in the habit of doing that as well. I usually wait 5-10 minutes after the blue light goes off before I use the heater. The seat heater is just enough to take the bite out of the cold.

I also agree with the comments about the car and cold weather. This car consumes tons of gas warming up. So, if you live in a very cold state and drive only a few miles, I could easily see getting 20-21 MPG. On days in SE PA where the temps were in the teens, and my drive was only 10 miles, I was right around there. Once the temps increased to 30-35, my milage went back up to 24 MPGfor that same short drive. Now, as the weather is getting closer to 40-50, I am getting closer to 25-26 MPG for that same short drive.

I have noticed that the dual zone climate control is pretty smart when set to Auto: it doesn't turn actually on the heater until the engine is warmed up and keeps the fan on low, or off.

I've had my cx5 since last summer. I'm getting around 22mpg over all. I live in NJ and I usually only drive on the weekends. I have less the 3000mil on it.
Maybe it's just the way I drive but 22mpg is pretty weak. I do live in urban area. I think it's a lot less than most people.

Eh, pretty much the whole eastern seaboard north of VA doesn't exactly present ideal driving conditions. I couldn't care less if I never drive in those areas ever again in my life.

My first fill-up was at 445 miles. It took 14.5 gallons, which is about 30.6 MPG by calculator. The computer reported an average MPG of 28.2

I don't trust this number completely because I don't know exactly how full the dealer had it off the lot, but I was pleased to see my manual calculation beat the computer's estimation.

One quirk though, I went to fill up when range from the computer was reporting "4 miles to empty". At the pump it stopped filling up at 12.8 gallons. I thought this was odd so kept topping it off, it kept filling an extra gallon at a time and then stopped. I know the tank is something like 14.8 (?) gallons.

Does this mean there is not much extra "buffer" mileage once the range drops to 0? On my old Jeep it would say 0 miles to empty and had a solid ~2 gallons remaining. Anyone else notice this?

Just got 34.7 MPG calculated at the pump and using the same pump and gas station. The warmer weather has brought the great gas mileage with it. Drove 416.2 miles and it took 12 gallons to fill. This is of course mostly all highway.

This is with a 2014 2.5 Touring FWD.

The vehicle computer will calibrate over a few fillups. Depending on my driving style, my range on a full tank will be anywhere from 370-470 miles. Generally, there's definitely still about two gallons left once the range reaches zero, at least a 50 mile buffer.

My first fill-up was at 445 miles. It took 14.5 gallons, which is about 30.6 MPG by calculator. The computer reported an average MPG of 28.2

I don't trust this number completely because I don't know exactly how full the dealer had it off the lot, but I was pleased to see my manual calculation beat the computer's estimation.

One quirk though, I went to fill up when range from the computer was reporting "4 miles to empty". At the pump it stopped filling up at 12.8 gallons. I thought this was odd so kept topping it off, it kept filling an extra gallon at a time and then stopped. I know the tank is something like 14.8 (?) gallons.

Does this mean there is not much extra "buffer" mileage once the range drops to 0? On my old Jeep it would say 0 miles to empty and had a solid ~2 gallons remaining. Anyone else notice this?

Back