2014 CX5 2.5 fuel econ horrible

So far after just over 10000 km I am averaging 10 L per 100 km. this will get better when the weather warms up.

Calculus

Yeah, even here in Winnipeg with our terrible roads and a light/stop every block I still get 11.5-12.0L/100KM and it drops to 9.0-10.00L/100KM when I drive outside the perimeter to like Steinbach or something.

Did my first fill up and after 503KM I used 48L of the 60L tank. That's 9.5L/100KM or 29.5MPG. I'm doing about 40 city / 60 Hwy driving. Very impressed and like others have said, it will only get better :) Also good know that when the gas light comes on at 2 bars I have 12L left.

My (dash displayed) avg MPG was ~26.5 MPG yesterday. Around 100 miles of driving all day, I was mostly stuck in NYC local traffic and horrid highway bumper to bumper traffic for hours. My worst average so far, but definitely not complaining given the situation. Literally stop, mash gas, fend off assholes, repeat.

Hmmm, filled up a couple days ago from near empty, and now I'm averaging 10.3L/100KM. Maybe I hit a bad batch of gas last fill up, nice improvement from 12L/100KM.

Wow, just did first fill up on my new CX-5.
I drive 90% in surburb streets at 45mph and 10% freeway.
First tank calculated is 26.1mpg. The dash average was 25.0mpg.

I'm averaging about 10.1 L/100 km (23.3 mpg US) with around 250 km on the car. Still on first tank and mixed highway-city up mountain and down mountain driving. Also hot as blazes at midday here.

I'm averaging about 10.1 L/100 km (23.3 mpg US) with around 250 km on the car. Still on first tank and mixed highway-city up mountain and down mountain driving. Also hot as blazes at midday here.

The temperatures here have been around 25 during the day and 2-7 degrees during the night. Its killing my fuel mileage to the point that I can’t even get 30 mpg anymore.

I'm getting about 23-25mpg in city driving and 28-29mpg on the interstate. I have noticed it dropping down to 23mpg since it's been colder.

Just fueled up completely today, I'm on my 3rd tank. The 2nd tank did even better; 47.36L gave me 506KM which is 9.35L/100KM or 30MPG. Same drive routine pretty much every week :) Also just passed the 1000KM mark today as well.

The temperatures here have been around 25 during the day and 2-7 degrees during the night. Its killing my fuel mileage to the point that I can’t even get 30 mpg anymore.

With only a 3 mile drive to work and back home my mileage in this cold weather really sucks lucky to get 20mpg

With only a 3 mile drive to work and back home my mileage in this cold weather really sucks lucky to get 20mpg

You and me both. I'm also in the northeast, and with most of my commutes, the blue coolant temp light just barely turns off when I reach my destination. It's the worst possible scenario! Being extra careful with the accelerator, I am still managing ~22 mpg on most tanks according to Fuelly. But yeah, winter can sod off any time now.

I do worse than that. 3km (2 mile) trip each-way to work, ample use of the remote start, lots of stop/start traffic. 15 L/100km (15.6 mpg).

Any poor economy is *entirely* driving scenario and style - on a 60km highway round trip yesterday I was WAY under 10 L/100km (over 23.5 mpg), although I don't have exact figures.

I do worse than that. 3km (2 mile) trip each-way to work, ample use of the remote start, lots of stop/start traffic. 15 L/100km (15.6 mpg).

Any poor economy is *entirely* driving scenario and style - on a 60km highway round trip yesterday I was WAY under 10 L/100km (over 23.5 mpg), although I don't have exact figures.

Your numbers sound a little off. 15L/100KM is 18.8MPG. 10L/100KM is 28.2MPG.

I had a 2012 RAM CrewCab with a 5.7L Hemi that got 18-19MPG doing the same drive routine as I do with the CX-5 which gets 30MPG. I don't understand how you can be at the same as the RAM with the CX-5. (!?)

Your numbers sound a little off. 15L/100KM is 18.8MPG. 10L/100KM is 28.2MPG.

I had a 2012 RAM CrewCab with a 5.7L Hemi that got 18-19MPG doing the same drive routine as I do with the CX-5 which gets 30MPG. I don't understand how you can be at the same as the RAM with the CX-5. (!?)

My Google-fu has failed me, let the lashings commence.

My L/100km stats are correct, but I was converting to US MPG...... your numbers are correct for imperial MPG. And as I say, I pass through the worst traffic that Winnipeg has, short daily runs, it has been a very cold winter, the roads have been snowy, and I use the remote start a lot. All very bad for economy.

My Google-fu has failed me, let the lashings commence.

My L/100km stats are correct, but I was converting to US MPG...... your numbers are correct for imperial MPG. And as I say, I pass through the worst traffic that Winnipeg has, short daily runs, it has been a very cold winter, the roads have been snowy, and I use the remote start a lot. All very bad for economy.

No lashing here, I was wrong. Maybe I just liked the sound of Imperial answers vs US, lol. In previous posts my numbers were Imperial too.

I always have used http://www3.telus.net/findNchoose/mpg.html for the calculations.

Last edited:

I live in the same city as you. Wish my commute was as short as yours. Your CX5 is going to last forever! I've already got over 17k miles now :(

I live in the same city as you. Wish my commute was as short as yours. Your CX5 is going to last forever! I've already got over 17k miles now :(

I do most of my driving in the summer to the cape every weekend, have had my cx5 for a year now and just hit 12,000 miles

When I got the car in October 2013 it was around 8.3 liter/100km - I have slowly seen it creep up to now 9.3 liter/100km.... I do not like this trend. I drive around 70% highway / country roads and was under the impression that this car would not be as thirsty as this... I have already asked the dealer why this is happening, they blame my right foot without even having any proof. On the highway (401) I generally go around 115 KM and hour and on the country roads I hit around the 90 KM. Right now with the amazing heaps of snow I have been going much slower and have had the defroster on frequently. So I will see if it gets back down to more reasonable numbers once the cold is gone.

I have already asked the dealer why this is happening, they blame my right foot without even having any proof. On the highway (401) I generally go around 115 KM and hour

I'd say they have pretty good proof. Lets say your speed is 70 mph, which is approximately 17% less efficient than driving the 55 mph at which the official efficiency stats are measured: http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

Also consider this reference that claims a 28% drop in economy as temperatures drop from 95F to 5F: http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm

Not to mention winter fuel blends are high in butane, thus lower in energy density than summer blends.

Essentially, you will never reach manufacturer-stated values if you do any of: drive fast, drive in cold conditions, drive in snow, run the defroster (which runs the air-conditioner), drive in heavy traffic. That is, you will never reach manufacturer stated values.

Last edited:
Back