2010 Hatch Auto Tran Fluid Change

Getting ready to change the tran fluid in my fiance's Mazda3 hatch (26,xxx miles), what fluid do you guys recommend and is there a filter behind the pan?

I have a '03 P5 automatic. At 30K miles I drained the transaxle through the drain plug. I replaced the drained fluid with AmzOil synthetic ATF. The car has 75K miles on it now and there have been no problems with the shifting. It may have sharpened the shifts up a tad, but that is subjective on my part. I did not do a total flush, so the fluid in the torque converter was left. Therefore, I have a roughly 50/50 mix of OEM/AmzOil ATF in the gearbox.

There's a bunch out there...Redline, AmsOil, Royal Purple. Just make sure what you're putting in matches the specs in the manual for which one you need. AMSOil does an ATF that covers a wide range. Figure do a change every 10k for a couple of rounds and you'll have most of it changed out since you aren't pulling the converter. I ran AmsOil ATF in my 2004 hatch without issues for 80k...got almost 40 on my 2010 and I need to start the process again based on the fluid color (brown). I did notice a change in how the tranny acted once I put the AmsOIL in, definitely different than stock. As a note, the darker the fluid the more wear you are getting. Depends on how you drive and this and that. Check the color and drain and fill a few times.

Back