Mazda ATF-A7 Trans Fluid

Just curious, has anyone seen any specs on the Mazda ATF-A7 fluid ?

I'm assuming it's an ultra low viscosity fluid ( ULV ). Did some research and learned that Ford & GM jointly developed the 10 speed automatic trans that is used in some of their models and it uses a ULV fluid.

I did some research and discovered several ULV fluids specs are just about identical - the differences are probably within measurement error, IMO.

I'm thinking the ATF-A7 fluid is probably about the same, except for cost. The list price of ATF-A7 is about $50 a quart ( discounted @ $35 a quart ) and about $12 for the Valvoline ULV. Dexron ULV goes for about $7 a quart but I can't find the specs on it. Seems like the spec should be about the same as the Mercon since ULV fluid is used in both Ford & GM models with the 10 speed trans.

BTW, I read on another Forum that the Castrol fluid is an ULV fluid but according to it's specs it looks to me like it's a LV, not an ULV fluid.

See attached chart for comparisons.

The reason I'm asking is I don't believe in "Lifetime" trans fluid. I'm thinking of doing a trans fluid change at around 50K miles.

Attachments

• ULV Trans Fluid Specs.pdf
    22 KB · Views: 48
A7 is a ULV type fluid and is a very high quality with a very good viscosity index and is made by TOTAL. I would be cautious about substituting a different fluid when you change it.
1703216563280.png

Interesting. Notice how all the ULV tans fluid has about the same Kv/CsT @ 40C & 100C except for the Mazda A7 @ 40C ? I'm wondering now if the 15.11 Kv @ 40C is a mis-print for the Mazda A7.

Nice to know the A7 is made by TOTAL.

Interesting. Notice how all the ULV tans fluid has about the same Kv/CsT @ 40C & 100C except for the Mazda A7 @ 40C ? I'm wondering now if the 15.11 Kv @ 40C is a mis-print for the Mazda A7.

Nice to know the A7 is made by TOTAL.
This chart was supplied to me from TOTAL, if it were a typo then the viscosity index would also be incorrect, which is possible but they are usually great with the info they provide. It has a very robust additive package and for all purposes looks to be very high quality from what I've been shown.

Ya, if that is a good number, I fully agree. I just wonder how TotalEnergies accomplished that.

BTW, I also found the same chart at a Mazda webpage.

It would be interesting to know what company/companies manufacturers the ULV ATF for Mercon, Dexron, Valvoline and Kendall.

Sinistrial :

This question is way too "premature" but can you tell me where is the transmission fill hole is located ? If this was a FWD I would have an idea where to start looking for it, but with the I-6 engine I have no idea where it might be. And is there a dip stick for the ATF level ? Just curious.

Latest posts

Back