2010 CX-9 Oil Leak

albravob

:
CX-9
Hello Guys,

I'd like to describe my experience with my brand new CX-9.

I bought it two weeks ago, after a week of driving it, my garage floor was full of a liquid coming from under the vehicle. We thought it was water from the AC but when we closely looked at it it was a thick greenish liquid. We never expected that a new car with 800 miles had a oil leak. We took it to the dealer and the service manager said that there was a "massive" oil leak on it. It is being almost a week and they have not figure out what the problem is.

I was wondering if anybody has experienced the same problem I'm currently facing?

albravob

Thick liquid to me means oil, greenish to me says coolant, but I am not sure what color the AT fluid is. Sounds like a bad seal somewhere obviously. Keep us posted.

The AT fluid should be a redish color. As for the coloant, I believe all the 2010's are using the FL22 coolant, which should be an orange color, not the standard nuclear green. I've never seen a thick green fluid from a vehicle.

We had transmission leak in March this year

I'm not sure it is the same think as I'm sure ours was caused by a seal fracturing in the severe winter. When we came back to the airport LT car park, I could smell burning (something was dripping onto the cat). Two months later, a grounding noise told us we had big trouble. Part was replaced in full.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. The service department in the dealer told me it was seal but it has being a week already, he called me today and told me that they replaced it but the leak still continues. I'm considering calling my lawyer to see if this qualifies for Lemon Law.

I'm really disappointed!!!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. The service department in the dealer told me it was seal but it has being a week already, he called me today and told me that they replaced it but the leak still continues. I'm considering calling my lawyer to see if this qualifies for Lemon Law.

California Lemon Law 1793.22.

(a) This section shall be known and may be cited as the Tanner Consumer Protection Act.

(b) It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been made to conform a new motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties if, within 18 months from delivery to the buyer or 18,000 miles on the odometer of the vehicle, whichever occurs first, either

(1) the same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the nonconformity or

(2) the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of nonconformities by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 calendar days since delivery of the vehicle to the buyer. The 30-day limit shall be extended only if repairs cannot be performed due to conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agents. The buyer shall be required to directly notify the manufacturer pursuant to paragraph (1) only if the manufacturer has clearly and conspicuously disclosed to the buyer, with the warranty or the owner's manual, the provisions of this section and that of subdivision (d) of Section 1793.2, including the requirement that the buyer must notify the manufacturer directly pursuant to paragraph (1). This presumption shall be a reputable presumption affecting the burden of proof, and it may be asserted by the buyer in any civil action, including an action in small claims court, or other formal or informal proceeding.

Hi Guys,

Slow down, amigo. You are way ahead of yourself with the legal talk. First of all I agree with you that a week is way too long to diagnose and repair a leaking seal if the required components are available. You just need to get firm with this service manager/dealer.

If you havent already, go on down there and have them raise the vehicle and illustrstrate the problem to you. If you are not satisfied with what you see and hear, then take it to another Mazda dealer, if that's convenient.

If you are still dissatisfied, call Mazda customer assistance (800 222 5500) and tell them your problem, the steps you have taken and seek their advice.

I believe your vehicle can and will be repaired and you may not need the services of an attorney.

Go get 'em Tiger!

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

Again thanks for the replies, specially @teedeebee and @Force-1. I'm still waiting, they have not fixed the problem and it has been 10 days since they received the car. It seems that they found another source of the leakage, so it will take them more time to get it resolved.

I guess I have no other options but to wait and be patient!!!

The coolant (FL22) in my 2008 is green. And it leaked from the water pump which was replaced, after owning the vehicle for only 1 year. Oil is not green. Are they sure it's oil that's leaking?

They finally fixed the issue. No more oil leak but now the car has a rumbling sound when I accelerate it that is different than before. The service guy did not notice any difference in sound until we drove a new car. He suspects that is a exhaust not well sealed. I may have to talk to Mazda since these guys are very rude when I take the car to the dealership to check these issues.

Very Disappointed!

I just started going to a different service department myself. I found that the service techs and desk staff were incompetent and swindlers at my original dealership. It might be inconvenient, but may be worth peice of mind.

... now the car has a rumbling sound when I accelerate it that is different than before. The service guy did not notice any difference in sound until we drove a new car. He suspects that is a exhaust not well sealed. I may have to talk to Mazda since these guys are very rude when I take the car to the dealership to check these issues.

Very Disappointed!

albravob,

You have every reason to be disappointed because what you need at this time is professional, courteous service not rudeness. It may be time to take your vehicle to another dealership, regardless of cost or distance.

If that is just not possible, then do what others have done with successful results. Take your vehicle to the dealership at a busy time, preferably on a Saturday morning around 9 am.

Speak directly with the service manager, telling him the number of times you have been there. Tell him about the noises you are hearing and that you want it fixed promptly. If he/they continue to be rude and dismissive of you, then raise your voice accordingly, telling them about the quality of their service and your intention to contact MNAO (800.222.5500) if your vehicle is not repaired satisfactorily.

After all,you are not asking for any special favors. You deserve prompt and professional service!

Take no stuff!

I am not used to raising voice. It is just not my style.
In fact, most dealership has a marketing guy who is also responsible of getting good satisfaction from customers.
You could talk to him/her about your complaints. It is his/her job to make you happy (to get good rating, therefore, good bonus from Mazda as reward).
He/she usually try harder to make you happy than the service adviser.

Case in point:
When I got my CX9, I went in for 1st oil change. I mentioned to the lady adviser that I wished to have the "auto-lock" turned on.
She said that it would cost me $80 for doing that. I said, that is unusual since, based on my past experiences with other brands of vehicles,
usually customizing settings should be free for the 1st time. (I bought the CX9 there) She said, "No. Can't do that.".
I refused the extra $80 charge.

A couple days later, the marketing guy sent me an e-mail asking me if I was happy with my "recent service" (oil change).
I complained to him about the "unusual charge" the lady demanded for turning on "autolock". He agreed that it should not be that way.
He asked me to call again. He promised that it would be free of charge from then on. So, I did it at my next oil change 5000 miles later, and
it was indeed free. No question asked.
My point is: you might want to talk to the "right guy" than raising voices unless such "right guy" is no where to be found in that dealership.....

Dealership Service Departments

I cannot believe all of the postings I just finished reading about bad service department employees! first and foremost, don't hesitate to call the 1 800 right away. Waiting to talk to the "right" person is a waste of time. Go to where you know you will get some corrective measures, the Manufacturer! We are far too easy on the folks who are supposed to be "servicing" us and our vehicles. These are wonderful cars but sometimes the human element makes them not so. Afterall, these are machines constructed by people. Sometimes these people have good days on-the-job and sometimes bad days. Stuff can happen. We as the consumer have shown our faith in the manufacturer by purchasing one or more of their products. It time to simply stand up for our rights and stop the manby-pamby behavior! Whew, now I feel better!

As far as I know....
Automakers have little control over their dealers other than
- vehicle allotment
- bonus/reward for high customer satisfaction

If a dealer treats its customers badly, not much Mazda can do about it other than
what I listed above.
Correct me if I am wrong here.
As a customer, however, I can always go to another dealer if there is an alternative.

Calling Mazda corporate only help if you wish to argue about having certain failed part covered by warranty even if it is technically out of it.

Last edited:
Suggestions to contact Mazda North America were not for the purpose of having them exert any power or control over a local dealer. Everyone knows that dealers are separate, autonomous entities that are not accountable to MNAO for their customer relationships.

That is just another "tool or tactic" to get a dealer to do the right thing when all else seems to be failing, since no one likes bad press or publicity or a bad "report card." This sometimes works, making it unnecessary to escalate the complaint.

When posters have issues with their vehicles or dealerships, I think the Forum would be better served if comments were constructive and focused on the initial problem rather than critical and off-topic and adds nothing to the issue at hand.

Remember, if you have nothing worthwhile to contribute, you can always say nothing.

Hello Guys,

Thanks for all your comments. I took my car again to get the rumbling sound checked up, the service manager did ABSOLUTELY nothing, the car now has a new sound coming from below when I step on the gas, he said that he could not do anything and he suggested to wait until the Mazda representative visit the dealership. I asked him when was he going to come visit and talk to us and he did not know when, that he was going to call us when he knew. I called the 800 number and they immediately called the dealer, talked to the manager and 15 minutes later the service manager called me and setup an appointment to have a meeting with the Mazda guy. I don't know what the mazda guy will do, but this has been a nightmare for me. I told the customer care representative at Mazda that I will never buy mazda again and that the dealership service is the worst I've ever experienced.

I'll update you once I meet with the guy.

I think telling them "I will never buy Mazda again" probably won't help the fixing process....
A lot of times, it is the dealers that p*i*s*s off customers, not the automaker.
When it comes to corporate service, Mazda is way ahead of Toyota. I know that from personal experiences.

so did they ever tell you specifically what the problem was and what they fixed/replaced? you have a right to know that and that info would be helpful in trying to understand the "new" issues.

Hello Guys,

...I called the 800 number and they immediately called the dealer, talked to the manager and 15 minutes later the service manager called me and setup an appointment to have a meeting with the Mazda guy. I don't know what the mazda guy will do, but this has been a nightmare for me. I told the customer care representative at Mazda that I will never buy mazda again and that the dealership service is the worst I've ever experienced.

I'll update you once I meet with the guy.

Atta boy! When you push the right buttons, you get results. Had you gone away quietly you would not have heard from them again. Now your odds are improved. Dissatisfied owners lead to bad press and potential loss of business but satisfied owners lead to recommendations and repeat business and they know this. The Mazda rep could exert some more pressure or influence on the dealer to get your vehicle repaired promptly. Keep us posted.

Back