2002 MP5 207000 Miles on it

I Just purchased a 2002 MP5 with 207000 miles on it and all seems fine. I paid $2900 for and the ext/int looks close to new exept for the front bumper it's not 100% lined up but you almost cant tell.

It shifts better then my 99 Accord actually better then most of the cars i've owned. The engine runs strong all seems to good to be true for the amount of miles on it.

Even though it shifts great it does seem to have a little noise right before shifting into second but no hesitation or clunks.

The noise almost sounds like a verry small electric motor for a second. Has anyone noticed this type of noise in there cars in any gears?

Thanks for any and all replys!

Michael

Last edited:
That noise sounds like it might be the synchro getting up to speed. You can pause a little bit between shifting on that gear to make it a little easier on the transmission....

Yeah I'm going to take it real easy on it, just want to cruise around with it not goig to push it at all.

Just want to know if anyone else heres that noise sometimes if it's common.

Thanks

small electric motor like the sound when you go in reverse? anyways if anything you can try a tranny flush

Not really that reverse sound ..... its much lighter then that. I drove it today and i still heard the noise a bit but it still shifts very smooth. Scratching my head.

yes i have that problem with my third gear on my tranny the pause stops it for the most part try a transmission flush it should go away if not the tranny will need to be rebuilt because it will get worse if it is the syncro for the gear messing up ie mine the transmission flush did nothing to mine it got worse but, so far its still going strong with the same problem and ive been driving it like that for about 2 years, i was told by my tuner to get my tranny rebuilt but i lack the money to do it... good luck with your mp5

Welcome and you may have the first documented P5 over 200k. Where exactly is the bumper misaligned?

Welcome and you may have the first documented P5 over 200k. Where exactly is the bumper misaligned?

LOL, Im guessing since it has those 200k miles, the answer may be "Everywhere".
(omg)

Or it could be a matter of broken headlight clips which IIRC cost around $5 each?
i would go off what ctt3p5 says check your support clips for your headlights i know mine are snapped from a wreck i got in and my right headlight points inward and down

Ha ha rdaex true!!!!

Yup it is a ton of miles .....

The car has lived in GA all it's life it has to be highway miles for a 2002 to have so many miles on it.

It looks really good and Im just going to be driving about 100 to 200 miles a week.

Keeping my fingers crossed ovcourse XXXXXX.

Seems like someone must have smacked the front on a curb because the front bottom grille is gone and there some slight damage to the bumper.

Thanks for the welcome I'm glad to be hanging here!!

Pics of her and her name is PUNCHY .... I bought some gutter mesh from home depote to cover the front bottom grille for now.

IMG02143-1.jpg

IMG02137.jpg

IMG02138.jpg

IMG02139.jpg

IMG02140.jpg

IMG02141.jpg

IMG02142.jpg

IMG02144.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

Yup - quite reliable car.

Try a tranny fluid drain/refill (i used GM Synchomesh[tm] with good results).

Looks good for that mileage. I'd put it in the tailpipe. (mj)

P.s. I just miss my P5 :( haha

Welcome and you may have the first documented P5 over 200k.

Nope, I don't think I even claimed that title when I joined at 211k last July...

About to roll 220 now.

Pics of her and her name is PUNCHY .... I bought some gutter mesh from home depote to cover the front bottom grille for now.

IMG02143-1.jpg

IMG02137.jpg

IMG02138.jpg

IMG02139.jpg

IMG02140.jpg

IMG02141.jpg

IMG02142.jpg

IMG02144.jpg

Welcome! I wish mine was red and that clean...

I named mine Zoom, as in its so slow its not "Zoom, Zoom, Zoom," just Zoom. Mine has "issues" but I didn't pay very much for it, so its all good.

Nope, I don't think I even claimed that title when I joined at 211k last July...

About to roll 220 now.

Welcome! I wish mine was red and that clean...

I named mine Zoom, as in its so slow its not "Zoom, Zoom, Zoom," just Zoom. Mine has "issues" but I didn't pay very much for it, so its all good.

Nice....this is now three P5's over 200k in the past two days I have heard of. I hope to have mine there one day.

Back